It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Ready to Hit Back If Russia Tries to Hack Election

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I wonder who is calling the shots over at the State Department. Have they lost all semblance of reality?

Russia has, countless times over denied any desire to disrupt the Presidential Election process but never made any claims that they actually could if they chose to do so. This is an important distinction to me as they seem to be handling matters of State more eloquently than we seem to be.

U.S. military hackers have penetrated Russia's electric grid, telecommunications networks and the Kremlin's command systems, making them vulnerable to attack by secret American cyber weapons should the U.S. deem it necessary, according to a senior intelligence official and top-secret documents reviewed by NBC News.

Source for Above Snippet

Am I the only one who finds this reckless? Or do they know something that they aren't telling us? ie., Russia has actually threatened us; if so I haven't heard of that.

And this beaut!

U.S. officials continue to express concern that Russia will use its cyber capabilities to try to disrupt next week's presidential election. U.S. intelligence officials do not expect Russia to attack critical infrastructure — which many believe would be an act of war — but they do anticipate so-called cyber mischief, including the possible release of fake documents and the proliferation of bogus social media accounts designed to spread misinformation.

We threaten their infrastructure (which our own officials classify as an act of war) because of some prognosticator-arrived-at perceived threat of internet mischief?

This is way off-balance and counter-intuitive to mending the relations with Russia.

Have a read and let me know what you think...

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Maybe we should just take their whole country offline from the time the polls open to the time they close. Then send them a email apologizing for the inconvenience.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

Yeah, or at least an "ooops sorry about that" maybe....that should fly

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Absolutely No Voting Machine in all the 50 States is Connected to the Internet , so How could the Big Bad Ruskies Effect the Outcome of a U.S. Election Unless they Invaded the Country in an act of War ? That is just a Ridiculous Idea....

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Still sabre rattling against Russia.. when they know damn well this is an internal battle..

THreats of terror attacks in NY VA and TX..

I wonder if that is a threat to EDNY investigators and their evidence..

FBI in Quantico VA for their evidence...

And the IRS folks in TX and their evidence...

Seems like a direct warning to one side of this silent coup counter coup deal going on...

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I suspect the U.S. has cyber-warfare capabilities as yet unrevealed.

I vaguely recall the U.S. getting in trouble for hacking into cables buried in the ocean so they could snoop on other countries without their knowledge.

I wouldn't be surpised if we have direct access to Russia's digital backbone.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Absolutely No Voting Machine in all the 50 States is Connected to the Internet , so How could the Big Bad Ruskies Effect the Outcome of a U.S. Election Unless they Invaded the Country in an act of War ? That is just a Ridiculous Idea....

But it would be cool to watch their grid go dark. Dangerous, but cool.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Dangerous? Like poking a sleeping bear with a stick? All I can say is if they keep poking the bear it's gonna bite eventually.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

Hey, Democrats! The 1980's called... they want their playbook back.

The Russians are coming!!! The Russians are coming!!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

Fiction Becomes Reality ? God Forbid .

The Enemy Within - Larry Bond

What if a foreign rogue nation launched a war against the United States within its own borders? America's largest cities are in flames. Its majestic landmarks are in ruins. Electronic sabotage cripples its far-flung communications systems. Race battles against race in a raging civil conflagration. The first waves of a meticulously orchestrated international terrorist campaign have achieved a stunning and terrifying success. As grim national leaders hunker down with advisors, as the finest living minds in strategic intelligence together with state-of-the-art computers link up to search out and destroy the source of the savagery, as armies both with and without uniforms mobilize to win the ultimate unconventional war, two men - once friends, now adversaries to the death - race to a decisive confrontation. On one side is General Amir Taleh, an implacable foe of the United States, a nimble survivor of the brutal cross-currents of Iran's internal politics, and a shrewd fighter who believes that killing for revenge is pointless but killing for a higher purpose is justified. Opposing him are two American operatives who become tactical allies as well as unexpected lovers: Colonel Peter Thorn, the Delta Force veteran who has faced down the masters of terror on foreign soil and now feels powerless to defeat them at home; and Special Agent Helen Gray, as beautiful as she is a formidable player in the old-boy network of special operations. Together, they must find a way to defeat Taleh and his forces before the West awakens to its greatest nightmare of all.
edit on 4-11-2016 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

link   
And who says Russia is even going to try this?
Hillary and Barack ?

link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone
I wonder who is calling the shots over at the State Department. Have they lost all semblance of reality?

Cyber hillbillies on L.S.D... Incredible!

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

The only way I can see is that algorithms were put in place on the hardware in advance. Still, if we were not asleep at the wheel, even THAT couldn't happen.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn
Still sabre rattling against Russia.. when they know damn well this is an internal battle..

THreats of terror attacks in NY VA and TX..

I wonder if that is a threat to EDNY investigators and their evidence..

FBI in Quantico VA for their evidence...

And the IRS folks in TX and their evidence...

Seems like a direct warning to one side of this silent coup counter coup deal going on...

Of course they do, you're right! They know the battle is internal, but to what end NOW is the sabre rattling for? I mean we already know that Russia sees a threat in a no-fly zone and there are diplomatic channels available to work out a peaceful solution to that which BOTH sides know about.

So to me, threatening a sovereign nations infrastructure, even as loosely as they've done here, is seriously bad news.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I hope NBC News executives pay dearly for their propensity to leak our nation's secrets. The Department of Homeland Security and the FBI should go get the bastards and lock-em up.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Seriously bad news because we dont have a habit of "just" sabre rattling. IN fact, we have had war without declaring it in several countries as of late. Unfortunately we are a viable threat to another viable threat. It doesnt make sense for the Russians to do anything with our elections.. although HIlls and her folks know the Russians HATE her folks. Our relations have broken down so badly we were walked out on in the midst of talks concerning Libya.
edit on 4-11-2016 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti MisfitIts majestic landmarks are in ruins.

I wanted to point out this in particular because of the absolute irony I see in it....

I'm not sure if a lot of people frequent RT news or not, however:

The research wing of Russia’s Security Council has warned about foreign nations’ planning to attack Russia’s ‘historical memory’ and urged various measures, such as setting up a separate state commission to counter the falsification of history.
The issue was raised at a recent session of the Security Council’s research branch dedicated to preparations for the 100th anniversary of the 1917 Bolshevik revolution, Kommersant daily reports.
Read more
Polish volunteers restore vandalized Soviet WW2 memorials for sake of ‘shared history & world peace’
The newspaper quoted an attendee as saying that “historical memory is becoming a target of deliberate destructive actions on the part of foreign state structures and international organizations that promote geopolitical interests within the course of anti-Russian policy.”

Source for Above

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I think the hidden gov will attack the electrical grid in america. Its a false flag, watch come election day the electrical grid go down. It will be blamed on russia and a war will start remember an act of cyber terrorism is considered to be an act of war. With the internet down they will say hitlery won the election based off electoral college votes and the popular vote wont be taken into account.

question does anyone know the places they started fixing the electrical grid in case of a massive solar flare it was talked about recently. I bet its for their info-structure to remain up while everyone elses is down.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Who's calling the shots at the State Department? That would be John Kerry, assuming he's not a Clinton sock puppet too. If anybody I would think our own intelligence agencies will be interfering with the election in a good way, hopefully, to stop any attempts of manipulation from behind the scenes. Then they'll need to cover their tracks and blame somebody else though.

I recently saw a documentary about new weapons in 2016, one of those horrible mis-matched, starts halfway through, Youtube affairs, where some Chinese official was talking about the current state of cyberwar and how the world loves it because nobody has clearly defined cyberwar laws so it's like an unregulated battlefield.

I think all the anti-Russian cyberwar posturing lately has been part of the system getting it in people's heads so they'll be more accepting when the next president officially lays down the actual laws regarding it. Right now, we gauge the attacks as they come and then determine how to respond. There's nothing that says, for sure, this is an act of war or this isn't. So we're going to define that legally. Hence, Hillary's stance of treating any cyberattack like a physical attack.

It doesn't matter whom the next president is, either one will probably be dealing with that issue.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

Seriously bad news because we dont have a habit of "just" sabre rattling. IN fact, we have had war without declaring it in several countries as of late. Unfortunately we are a viable threat to another viable threat. It doesnt make sense for the Russians to do anything with our elections.. although HIlls and her folks know the Russians HATE her folks. Our relations have broken down so badly we were walked out on in the midst of talks concerning Libya.

Exactly right, and it's because of this I couldn't believe what I was reading. As you can tell from my posts and threads count, I VERY RARELY create a thread....but this, I couldn't ignore and for a lot of the reasons you've just pointed out.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join