It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Ignore is for the weak of mind.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
In the time since I have been on this board I have reeived a few U2U's from people telling me that they had placed me on thier ignore list. Now the irony of U2Uing someone to tell them they are on your IGNORE list aside, Why would you ignore someone who offends you in the first place? Isn't this site supposed to be about denying ignorance and challenging your beliefs? Doesn't it stand to reason that the same people you disagree with most vehemently will be those who challenge your beliefs the most? Even those posters I believe to be liberal weenies or conspiracy mad mental defectives have on ocassion given me pause and caused me to re examine my beliefs. Had I simply ignored them when they first said something I thought was unbelievable stupid I would have robbed myself of that opportunity. So by hitting ignore aren't you basically admitting that you are unwilling to challenge your own beliefs? And isn't that the exact opposite of denying ignorance?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I completely agree. Ignore should be reserved the most egregious of trolls, not someone who disagrees with you. It is embracing ignorance.

[edit on 1/24/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I completely disagree. (by the way, you've never been on my ignore list
).

I don't have a weak mind - I have a weak nerve - and it's the last one I have left and I won't let idiots trample all over it...hence the use of my "happy button".

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Well Valhall as many know I am a rabid nationalist. There are many here I disagree with. Many whose opinions are, to me, utter tripe. Yet it is those people who I am most tempted to ignore whom have given me the most reason for revaluaton. I would assume that those on your ignore list are those whose positions piss you off the most right? But aren't those the very same people whose posts you need to read the most?

[edit on 24-1-2005 by mwm1331]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
mwm,

I use the ignore button differently than you are referencing. I don't use it to ignore opposing views. I use to ignore morons who repetitively come on threads, make outlandish statements as if they were fact, and bother not once to provide reference, link, reasoning!!!, or support.

About three of those in a row from the same user and I'm button clickin'.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I understand where you are comming from Valhall, but in truth even those who meet the criteria you just layed out do on ocassion post something of interest. I mean by clicking ignore you are ensuring that if that particualr troll ever does say anything intelligent you won't hear it. I guess what i am trying to say is aren't you also reducing your own opportunities?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I think if someone tells you they are going to ignore you then they are telling you they are just getting away.

Something has to be said for the abilty to have restraint to not click on someone name if you dont like them.

I see thats what the Ignore is for, if you feel you are Never going to get anything from that person you ignore them.

[edit on 24-1-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I completely disagree. (by the way, you've never been on my ignore list
).

I don't have a weak mind - I have a weak nerve - and it's the last one I have left and I won't let idiots trample all over it...hence the use of my "happy button".

But...........if you let some idiot affect you so much that you have to ignore them, then they've accomplished what they were trying to do, get under your skin. I save the ignore button for those whose grammar and spelling is so atrocious that my I.Q. drops thirty points just reading their posts.

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I agree, telling someone you're putting them on ignore is the saddest form of baiting there is...and usually a lie.

If you have such disdain for someone as to put them on ignore in the first place, striking up a U2U interaction is hypocritical.

As for the rest, I would never put someone on ignore for disagreeing with me or challenging me. That's what's so great about this site: Vast differences of opinion made even better with a sense of decorum.

There are, however, some trolls that contribute nothing but insults and empty posts I'd love to ignore, but can't because of mod duties. Plus I'd miss out on thier growth as contributing members.
Even a troll can grow.

But if someone similarly annoys without enlightening you, feel free to ignore away.

Some people really need to ignore each other whether they use the ATS option or not. If you constantly get sidetracked in flaming matches with someone and are incapable of either developing a mutual respect or agreement not to interact, using your ignore option may just save your account.

So as a general rule be sparing with the feature, but not afraid to use it if absolutely necessary. You can always retract it later.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
But see thats my point spitting cobra.
I recently realised that allthough sites like this re relativly new in the scheme of things there is no reason why ATS can't be here in 20-30-40-50 years. Also there is no reason why those of us posting today won't be posting in 20-30-40-50 years. Now even if someone is the worlds biggest troll today whose to say that in1-5-10 years etc that same poster wont be the next fredt or thomas crowne?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
I understand where you are comming from Valhall, but in truth even those who meet the criteria you just layed out do on ocassion post something of interest. I mean by clicking ignore you are ensuring that if that particualr troll ever does say anything intelligent you won't hear it. I guess what i am trying to say is aren't you also reducing your own opportunities?

Agreed, that's why, whenever there is a gap in a discussion that I'm really interested in caused by some one I have on ignore, I will unignore to see if they just earned their way off my ignore list...LOL. And SEVERAL have...and a handful have never. HA!

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I have never Ignored anyone. I am strong enough I can not view someone's post if I think its a waste of my time.

I think the most improved over the last year is They See All. Well up untill this current Rats thread. He was kinda shady with the Movie.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

But...........if you let some idiot affect you so much that you have to ignore them, then they've accomplished what they were trying to do, get under your skin. I save the ignore button for those whose grammar and spelling is so atrocious that my I.Q. drops thirty points just reading their posts.

Peace

Actually, I see it just the opposite. When I start feeling the worthless blathers of a poster starting to tread on my last nerve, the very best way to disarm them and not allow them to "get under my skin" is to send them to whisper-land.

I also agree with RANT. Who ever I have ignored right now doesn't have a clue they are being ignored by me. That's my own personal decision. If I personally decide some one is doing nothing but contributing negatively to my ATS experience - that's my business and has no worth in their life. If I were to privately or publically inform that person "HEY! I just ignored your arse!" That's quite an egotistical thing for me to do...as if my decision concerning them needs to be thrown in because it's so damned valuable.

THAT's weird behaviour.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Well yeah valhall I mean only a complete idiot in my opinion wold U2U someone to tell them they are being ignored.
I was not aware that you could unignore either. (having never used the feature I didn't know you could turn it off.)

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Yeah, it's not a permanent decision. You just go into your settings (formerly known as control panel) and delete them from the ignore list. All their posts (even the ones while you had them ignored) immediately become visible.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I had someone tell me in a thread, I never got a U2U.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Well hopefully im not on your list valhall as i generally respect your input.

But even the lowiest cretin needs to be heard, and in fact I see that people that post crap, get crapped on by their peers.

Those that feel SOO out of whack from reading someones post that they have to click ignore are out of control of themselves, and if it makes them feel better to hit ignore, please do so before your driven to climb into the bell tower and do something mote rash.

BUT, get a grip....i agree that ignore only robs the USER of the oportunity to be challenged, see the true evolution of a thread, and is basically sticking ones head into the sand for whatever reason.

My slogan, Death before clicking ignore!!

DrLove says,

I save the ignore button for those whose grammar and spelling is so atrocious that my I.Q. drops thirty points just reading their posts.
While this is annoying, isnt this a form of "intellectual eliteism"?
Not everyones first language is english, not everyone has the same educatonal level, and in fact some of us that write formally all day at work
arent going to waste our lesiure time checking for every punctuation and spelling error....i get paid for that, but not here
When ATS provides a spell checker, ill use it, until then some spelling/grammer errors will occur from time to time.

As long as you "get the message" is this something that you really feel the need to ignore people for?
seems like far less than being in a flame war or dealing with trolls.
almost petty, but that just the opinion of someone that agrees

the ignore button is for the weak minded!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
OK, let me elaborate. Everyone, including myself, makes grammatical and spelling errors. There are some on here that butcher a whole paragraph. While what they have to say may be insightful, the actual process of reading their post is very trying for me personally. That's all I'm saying. I'm not singling anyone out.

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Now the irony of U2Uing someone to tell them they are on your IGNORE list aside, Why would you ignore someone who offends you in the first place? Isn't this site supposed to be about denying ignorance and challenging your beliefs?

It's basically the board equivalent of Cartman's (South Park)...

"Screw you guys....I'm going home!" and is a way for them to get the last word and feel good, when used in the instance you mention.

Never used it myself, and now as a mod, can't do so anyhow, hehe...

I seriously doubt we'll be here in 40 years, hehe.... Either we'll all be NWO slaves, killed or imprisoned by then, or perhaps evolved into a benevolent world government, etc. but I suppose if things somehow remained the same, we would.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
mwm1331

What, some people doesn't like you? hey that is part of life in the boards, what do you think that everybody is going to agree with your post?

I have never gotten an U2U telling me that I will be in the ignore list, but I got a hate U2U onces, very childish I may say.

And by the way I don't agree with you "most" of the time but you have not been obnoxious enough to be in my ignore list.:lol

Dr. love don't worry about the spelling errors I have won the most of the above spelling errors around here.

And I got three types of grammar and spelling software, but if you type the word right is not correction even if is not the right world in the sentence.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join