It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battle For Mosul Begins Oct. 16, 2016 Documenting Now

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Am I the only one who thinks they need a little help with the tactics?
There are a few snipers, mortars and a lot of civilians - "we can't move".
Ok, send the tanks and blow the place up!
Tanks can't reach them on the roofs.
Ok, let's use mortars and airstrikes!

Maybe a unit of snipers could take care of them without mass casualties. Or a guy with a mini gun in a helicopter. Or simply a squad of true soldiers

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

Its all good, Mosul is pretty much done now. Took them eight months, but it seems they are right there now. Only two neighborhoods left.

Western #Mosul map (29/5/2017). •Green: #Iraq's control. •White: Da'ish control. •Red: Frontline.

Highlights from last week.

Here is a recent news report with interviews from residents who were recently liberated out of ISIS control in the Zanjili area. They have nothing nice to say about daesh.

edit on 5-31-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This is quite a sight! In this video, an Iraqi Special forces soldier is exchanging fire with enemies across the street from a rooftop when a car bomb (VBIED) detonates a block away from him. Firefights continue to rage all around throughout the entire ordeal.

We are also seeing in the last few days an increase of the use of smoke screens (white phosphorous) not only in Mosul, Iraq, but Raqqa, Syria as well.

edit on 6-9-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

This American Family moved into Mosul to give any assistance they can. They have spent years traveling from war zone to war zone across the Earth, bringing their children with them for quite a unique upbringing.

WaPost
MOSUL, Iraq — The Eubank family has a guiding principle — if other families are forced to live in war zones, there should be no issue with theirs being on hand to help. The family has spent much of the past 20 years in the jungles of Burma, where David Eubank founded the Free Burma Rangers, a humanitarian organization that provides emergency medical care, shelter and food supplies in the country’s long-running civil war. They traveled to Iraq two years ago, at first working alongside Kurdish peshmerga forces in the war against the Islamic State. The family has also worked in Sudan and made two trips to the Kurdish areas of Syria.

“They’ve been shelled, shot at, they’ve grown up like this,” David Eubank said. “Our deal is that if there’s another family there, we can be there. Americans aren’t worth more than anyone else.” His team of Free Burma Rangers — including medics from Burma’s minorities who have traveled from their own war to help in Iraq’s — prepared their equipment for an expected afternoon push by Iraqi forces. The rest of the family usually stays a step back from the front line. “I don’t want my kids to die. I don’t take them purposefully to the fighting,” Eubank said. “We pray and think about every risk.”

The family’s presence on the battlefield along with the team from Burma has been met with a mix of bemusement and gratitude by Iraqi forces. The group is being hosted by Brig. Gen. Mustafa Sabah, a brigade commander with the Iraqi army’s 9th Armored Division. Sabah said that he initially was surprised that Eubank brought his whole family with him. “I thought, ‘This is not the right place for children,’ ” he said. “But then when I got to know them well, I realized this is what makes them happy, and they really believe in what they are doing.” Sabah said that by just being there, the family is doing enough “because they give positive energy to everyone around them,” but that along with the rangers, they have effectively become a logistics battalion.

Agree or disagree, they are there, making contributions directly to assist with the plight of the Iraqi's in Mosul. God Bless them and their mission! This family deserves a thread of their own, maybe I will get around to it.
More about the Eubank family:
A Breitbart article about the family and their mission in Mosul from January. Lots of pictures.
#FreeBurmaRangers

edit on 6-9-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Some fighting today. Iraqi police managed to repel a massive daesh counter attack which saw them storm the lines with suicide bombers.

edit on 6-14-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
So the Iraqi Special forces have advanced 100 meters into the old city. Its going to get quite bloody in this final enclave of the city.

PressTV
A high-ranking Iraqi security commander says government forces have made territorial gains in the western part of Mosul as they battle to drive Daesh Takfiri militants out of their last bastion in the country’s second largest city.

Commander of Federal Police Forces Lieutenant General Shaker Jawdat said on Sunday that security personnel had advanced 100 meters in the militant-held Old City of Mosul, only hours after they began their assault to retake the rest of Mosul, Arabic-language Mawazin news agency reported.

Jawdat added that soldiers from the Federal Police have also regained control over the civil defense buildings in the area, and are targeting Daesh defense lines with missiles.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Iraqi forces continue to be met with heavy resistance as they push into the old city of West Mosul.

They continue to advance deeper into the district.

Al-Shafaa district is done & counter Terrorism have opened a new front (north) in #Mosul Old city heading straight for Al-Nuri mosque.

edit on 6-20-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Video shows a burning #Iraq|i army Humvee and #Iraq|i forces who were killed by #ISIS in Western #Mosul today.

June, 18 2017 Footage of the mosque where Al-Baghdadi announced the "caliphate" in the distance as #Iraq's special forces advance towards it.

I no longer got to wait for videos to show up on youtube. I have been uploading them myself now that I learned to download them from twitter. The future makes everything so simple.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

What role do US forces play in the battle for Mosul as of right now?

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee
As far as I recall direct action is limited to air strikes at the the request of Iraqi ground forces. There are still some guys on the ground, but they are not involved with front line fighting. Mostly logistics and training of domestic forces. The only parts left to cleanse are that small chunk of city known as the Old City, which is pinned against the river.

The Federal police and counter terrorism units are paying a high price trying to get it back, and so are the unfortunate civilians.

You go to my Raqqa thread, and I am about to upload a video of a female Kurdish sniper engaging ISIS, and it looks to me like she has a foreign friend giving her a hand with his own rifle. Could be French, or British, but I have a gut feeling he is American.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
This was a good shot of a soldier deploying a Javelin missile against daesh on the 18th. These are awesome reliable weapons, so I know that target got checked.

This poor kid was found alive and alone on Sunday. His family is presumed passed away. I hope he is adopted by nice people, poor kid.

and a raw video from the end of may of civilians coming under fire attempting to flee towards government positions. Its seriously horrible what happens.

Forces are making excellent momentum, starting to cut the old city in half and dividing ISIS forces will help speed this along.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This just posted, looks like they are just steps away from that Mosque.

حلم مــذبووح Ⓜ️‏ @Ho198012
رجال الوعد الصادق ..!! امتار قليلة عن جامع_النوري (منصورين بعون الله)
(google translation)
Men of the Fulfilled Promise .. !! A few meters from the mosque of Al-Nuri (Mansurin with the help of God) 🇮🇶 # Old Mosul # Mosque of Al-Nuri # Battle of Mosul

A JDAM precision strike on a compound held by ISIS militants gets filmed by Iraqi ERD (ministry of interior special forces) soldiers.

جانب من استبسال مقاتلينا الغيارى في المدينة القديمة في #الموصل #باچر_ نصر #
[google translation]
Part of the prowling of our spare fighters in the old city of Mosul # # Bajr Nasr # Right-win

Staff Sgt. Jason Hull brought us some footage of joint US/Iraqi patrols within the liberated parts of the city. From late May.

The following are some testimony from victims and medical heroes about the humanitarian situation on the ground.

edit on 6-21-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
originally posted by: worldstarcountry

Here is David Eubank, being a natural badass and good human being risking his skin to do the right thing and save a young child from a barrage of gunfire directed towards their position.

The Eubank family illustrate the perfect example of Christian values and faith with their actions, and all who know them are grateful for their sacrifice!

Somebody please do a respectable thread on this courageous family!

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The bastards blew up the Mosque! Trying to taint victory, but like they say, their goal is to liberate so its still a success!!

Iraqi Day 🇮🇶‏
The Civilians of #Mosul are more important than Al-Nuri mosque. We won and we wiped out the shortest caliphate ever to exist. #Iraq

First image of Al-Nuri Mosque after #ISIS detonated in #Mosul Old city.

edit on 6-21-2017 by worldstarcountry because: rotating image for easier viewing

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Current updates on the situation by Southfront

Latest from the War Diary project for Mosul, Iraq June 22, 2017.

Iraq's forces continue to move in and liberate more territory, but there is still fighting left to do.

Soldiers in fierce house to house combat as they jump through walls to move around June 22, 2017.

Major Sajjad: The Battle for Mosul | The New York Times
Published on Jun 22, 2017

Ben C. Solomon, a Times video journalist, embedded with an Iraqi unit. He tells the story of Major Sajjad al-Hour as he leads 150 men through the war-torn streets of Mosul.

edit on 6-23-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   

You've been tracking this for quite some time, huh? Nice job documenting it all!

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
dreaeded dubs!

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore
Well this particular mission has some historical firsts, so I wanted to stay on it. It was the first battle to be live streamed to the world at its beginning. Of course it was only a week or so when they realize that was a bad idea as advancing forces could be tracked in real time as they approach. A for effort though right??

It is also the first time there has been a near universal proliferation of video recording by all sides. No matter what faction under what coalition, everybody was recording it and nearly all units have cameras. A LOT of historical and important battle data has come from this tactic. I just wanted to be a part of that in my own little way.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   
This fearless warrior made a truly heroic sacrifice to save his fellow soldiers and wrapped himself around a suicide bomber and pulled him down and away before detonation. God Bless this mans Soul for his service to God and country!

Iraqi Day 🇮🇶‏ @iraqi_day 11h11 hours ago

HERO
"Thergham " Counter Terrorism fighter sacrificed himself by hugging #ISIS suicide bomber & saving his comrades in west #Mosul today.

Thergam and others were conducting search operations in Al-Tanak district when 1 of the #ISIS militants in a house tried to detonate himself
Thergam hugged him and pushed him away from his comrades but the #ISIS still managed to detonate himself killing Thergam along with him.
Thergam was a body builder before he successfully passed special operations course and officially became Counter Terrorism fighter in 2012.

A very grateful little girl runs up to hug the General leading the forces that just liberated her neighborhood. Very sweet.

I put the following video together from two clips on Hidar Sumeri twitter account. Federal Police and Special forces continuing their push to free whats left and flush out the daesh fighters.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   
WarDiary Project upload from June 23. They explore the remains of the destroyed mosque, speak with some civilians about their hardships, and then several minutes of urban combat.

Strange google translation for this video:

Sauce accompanies the second special operations during the clearing of the clock area and wandering around the church of the historic clock

Salih toured the new Mosul area and monitors the joy of citizens to return the atmosphere of the feast and establish security

edit on 6-27-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join