It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nicola Sturgeon moves Scotland a step closer to indyref2 with Independence Referendum Bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
a reply to: djz3ro

The thing is, the Scottish independence referendum was done KNOWING the UK had a vote coming up about leaving the EU. Scotland decided to stay in the UK.

IF Scotland gets another independence referendum, it will set a new low bar of "if we don't like what our country voted AS A WHOLE, we'll just have another vote until we get the results WE want."

Not true, the original E.U. Referendum was meant to be in January 2013, David Cameron priomised an E.U. Referendum if he got back into power in 2015 after the Scottish Referendum. In fact we were promised the only way to stay in the E.U. was to stay in the U.K. it would help if you got your facts right dude.

And no, it wouldn't be like that. The Referendum can only happen if the terms are right. Theresa May might surprise us...
edit on 13/10/16 by djz3ro because: i did a b when i meant an i

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Good.

Just hurry up and piss off.

Hell forgot the vote and boot them out the union now.

If you want to be a 3rd rate client state of Germany that bad ......

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Its uncharacteristic for the British, though.

In the US this crap has been going on for awhile. Our military loves using these weird contractions. Its one of the things the Brits used to hate about us.

We've been becoming the 51st State for years. Take Halloween for example, invented in Scotland, when we carved Turnip Lanterns to ward off evil spirits, then shipped to America where you guys do Pumpkin Lanterns, guess what they sell to us at Halloween now? I don't know when the shift occured but when I was wee iot was always Turnips at Halloween..

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

If the scots want independence good for them.
Totally agree that they have a right to choose their own destiny. Thing is they can't have this in Great Britain. Best bet for them to achieve self rule is to stick em on boats and send them to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, USA, etc where they will be free of the yoke of Westminster and join the rest of their bretheren who were helped along in achieving independence a while ago.

link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Good.

We're are trying to leave but for some crazy reason Westminster doesn't want us to go...Now i wonder why that could be.?

link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Will Westminster threaten us into keeping the Pound this time round..

I don't think it would be an option, I reckon we'd be forced into the Euro if we manage to stay in the E.U. or form our own currency of not.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

The leave/stay EU vote has been on the cards for years. It's not something that just got thought about a couple of years ago.

And the ONLY reason Scotland were told it would stay in the EU if it stayed with the UK, was politics. Cameron didn't expect the leave vote to be the majority.

Welcome to politics. Politicians lie to get what they want. #shockedface

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Apologies, it may have been generation (or more likely they said both) 25 not 50.

I think the voting question was:

"Should Scotland be an independent country?"

That was answered for a long time and shouldnt depend on anything else, just like Brexit!

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

No most of you voted last time to stay so until another referendum is taken the majority voted to stay in the UK. You are in the minority.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Good.

We're are trying to leave but for some crazy reason Westminster doesn't want us to go...Now i wonder why that could be.?

The U.K voted out, you could too.

I am sure you will this time. You will won't you?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Good.

Hell forgot the vote and boot them out the union now.

If you want to be a 3rd rate client state of Germany that bad ......

Yup, as predicted in my OP, the offensive little ewok.

I think you'd feel very differently if you were Scottish mate...

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

The leave/stay EU vote has been on the cards for years. It's not something that just got thought about a couple of years ago.

And the ONLY reason Scotland were told it would stay in the EU if it stayed with the UK, was politics. Cameron didn't expect the leave vote to be the majority.

Welcome to politics. Politicians lie to get what they want. #shockedface

David Cameron, not one county in Scotland voted for Conservative in that General Election either iirc...

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Good.

The U.K voted out, you could too.

I am sure you will this time. You will won't you?

A few different factors could swing it this time around. If Nicola has a wee word in Putins ear whereby just before the actual vote he threatens to first strike the nuke bases on the Clyde and turn Scotland into a giant glass coffee table then i'm pretty sure that could swing a few voters, if it doesn't then there really is no hope for us.

Hey it's Politics we are talking about here. All's fair in love and war.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Damn separatists. Where's the household cavalry when you need them?

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Err, the last time I checked it was the Scottish people who didn't want to go.

Can't you remember that last exercise in self-determination you had way, way back in September 2014?

Seems the same people who refused to accept the democratic process back then are refusing to accept it now with regards to leaving the EU.

Sadly it seems the constant whining and moaning and hate speech from The Nats has finely begun to wear the rest of the UK down......many now don't really care what Scotland does.
Personally I find that very, very sad.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Thing is we have been ribbing each other for hundreds of years I will admit it it is fun.
Heck leave If you like I will still enjoy your water (scotch) and enjoy your countryside as well as your redheaded ladies.
We would all have a right good laugh in a pub so even though I do not want you lot to go I do like you all deep down.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

So you're not happy with a majority vote system, but want another referendum so Scotland can become independent, stay in the EU that has a MAJORITY vote system based on elected officials?

That would make the population vote a void thing, btw. The votes would be completely up to whatever official you have speaking for you.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Current opinion polls currently have support for Scottish Independence at just under 50%, so there is a long way to go if this going to happen.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

I'm having horse riding lessons !.

posted on Oct, 13 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Err, the last time I checked it was the Scottish people who didn't want to go.

Can't you remember that last exercise in self-determination you had way, way back in September 2014?

Seems the same people who refused to accept the democratic process back then are refusing to accept it now with regards to leaving the EU.

Sadly it seems the constant whining and moaning and hate speech from The Nats has finely begun to wear the rest of the UK down......many now don't really care what Scotland does.
Personally I find that very, very sad.

There was nothing democratic about scaring the living # out of a nation into voting to stay. You really had to be here to witness it. The term Project fear was first used up here. You thought the Brexit's project fear was bad, we had it 10 fold.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join