It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk outlines Mars colonization plan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
As I've said before, Elon Musk is my hero. He's cutting through all of the bureaucratic crap put up by NASA as reasons not to go and he's just doing it...He's making my space-faring dreams come true.

I'm sure he has support from NASA however.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I actually think it will be more successful if they start with people who are used to surviving in crappy situations/environments. Because when I try to imagine the first Mars colonization missions, I keep running into ridiculous day to day issues that will need constant tweaks & "Jury rigging".

Plus, people are very clumsy and mistake prone. I can imagine the need for constant last second repairs & tweaks because some idiot went to sleep on the job or tripped and broke a vital shielding element. So maybe more adaptable survivalists and less traditional intellectuals? Of course, there would still need to be a heavy dose of scientific thought in some areas. But I'd prefer the early settlers be a lot of short term problem solvers than an overly complicated and almost bureaucratic team that takes months to years to get anything done.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
a reply to: BlueShaman

I don't see this happening if it's going to be this way it will never pass

Pass what? It's not like they need your permission. Many people would consent to go on a one-way mission. Indeed, they've already signed up (Mars One. Useless diversion, but oh, well.)

It's interesting that in the Q&A (which really wasn't that bad, OP) people were already starting to criticize Musk's strategy in terms of who gets to go, who's first, etc. One fellow got a lot of cheers when he asked Musk when he was going to start hiring foreigners. Musk weaseled out on that one by saying he couldn't control government visas, but really, why should he? This is not a diversity contest. He's not required to take a Bulgarian transgender Muslim to Mars to satisfy someone's idea of "fairness." He really does not have to listen to naysayers.

What we who are staying need to do is stay out of his way. This is a private enterprise headed by a guy with some vision for a change. If someone else wants to do it, too, whether it is Bezos or Russia, let 'em go for it. The more the merrier. The important thing is to get to Mars and be sustainable there. Terra-form it so its more habitable and get ourselves a second home before an asteroid hits the Earth.

Then get to Alpha Proxima (or wherever) before the Sun blows up. Priorities: If yours are different it doesn't matter.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Maybe just wait for the Chinese to do it. Their rockets seem safer than the ones made by this con-artists company.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I wonder if 3D print technology will be incorporated into the structural development.......? I think 3D printers could help colonists overcome many obstacles.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I certainly hope so. In fact, my admittedly weird version of space colonies would start with robots that gather the raw materials and 3D printers that convert those materials into shelters and other structures. The humans could simply do the touch up work to get the structures up to human standards.

So for example, Elon Musk would start by sending solar powered dump trucks and other construction equipment "drones". Those drones can be programmed to dig in specific spots and carry the material to 3D printers, which could be sent separately (and eventually the drones could analyze their surroundings and "choose" which materials to collect). Then the 3D printers could print individual components or even the complete structures/shelters. Other machines could then finish building the basic structures until they're ready for humans.

And once they're ready, human engineers could arrive and test the structures to make sure they're fit for humans. Any complicated improvements and installations could also occur at this point. Then they could open it up for human tourists or human colonists and repeat the process in each new area.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

No, I know what to expect. I've been to 29 Palms.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
No I would not go. Looks pretty boring there lol, not to mention being able to survive, get along with people etc.

Is this that one way ticket one? If so they were asked if they would consider eating each other should food be scarce, since they have to grow their own food

Sounds horrible and as much as one might think it's cool I could do it, no you cant! You would go crazy . Anyone facing prison doesn't like it one bit

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
No I would not go. Looks pretty boring there lol, not to mention being able to survive, get along with people etc.

Is this that one way ticket one? If so they were asked if they would consider eating each other should food be scarce, since they have to grow their own food

Sounds horrible and as much as one might think it's cool I could do it, no you cant! You would go crazy . Anyone facing prison doesn't like it one bit

(I think you forgot some negatives in your epistle, but....) News flash! You're not required to go.

When the ancients encountered their first broad river, some wouldn't go.
When Europe found America across the sea, some wouldn't go.
When the Oregon Trail was possible, some wouldn't go.

If you want to stay in Boston instead of endure the Oregon Trail where 1 in 10 died, by all means stay home. Adventure and pushing the envelope are not for everyone. Just stay home. It would be crowded otherwise. And I wouldnlt want you with us, bitching and moaning the whole way.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Maybe just wait for the Chinese to do it. Their rockets seem safer than the ones made by this con-artists company.

Con artist company???

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Musk said they plan on taking people to Mars every 26 months. It's amazing to think that there will be kids born on Mars and Mars could be filled with dome cities.

The one bad thing that could happen is Mars becomes only for the rich and elite. It could be like Elysium. A trip to Mars will cost a pretty penny at first.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I hate camping, it's cold so I hate that, it's one big desert looks monotonous I hate that..I'll go when they established proper cities with a population of over a million or else no thanks.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

The one bad thing that could happen is Mars becomes only for the rich and elite. It could be like Elysium. A trip to Mars will cost a pretty penny at first.

I see no evidence of that. I know that if all you have is an online connection and a job at McD's that $200K seems steep, but in the grander scheme of things $200K is not all that much, particularly when companies attempting to capitalize on Mars will pay your way if you have the requisite skills. It was the same way in Jamestown. And in that case people agreed to a life of indentured servitude just to get to North America, betting on the hope their own children would do better, which many did.

Those who have no "pioneer spirit" will simply not understand the allure. They don't get it and never will. Perhaps it's genetic, but that's just a guess on my part. I just know that my family emigrated from England to Virginia and Jamestown in the 1620's. It got crowded and they moved to Tennessee, the frontier, within a few generations, then to Colorado, then to the West Coast, and now there's nowhere else to go.

Now there is nowhere to go but up. I guarantee you my family will be clamoring for a ride. And if I were to give the younger ones any counsel, it would be to develop the skills that will be valuable in "New Jamestown" so that you increase your chances of being selected to go. That means a good education. And when it comes down to it, if one of the kids or grand kids expressed a desire to go, I would leave them enough of my estate to get there. And I could send several.

NONE of this is impossible for those of us who really want to get there. Those who are rich will want to stay here to enjoy it. Those who want to go will want a better life.
edit on 9/27/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Very well put! I completely agree

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Great idea Musk!

1) I am super rich so I will get other super-rich people to make me richer that want to travel in space

2) I will thus kill off all the other super rich people by sending them alone to mars with nobody to do the heavy lifting when they get there (remember, we are reducing payload as much as possible so no automation or robots to work for you)

3) no . . . that about covers it

Because even down to $200k, unless you are rich, you don't have that cash lying around and getting a loan ain't gonna help either. "Yes Mr. Bank Man, I would like a loan for $200k without collateral and no, I won't be able to pay you back because I'll be on Mars." Duh?!

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Now there is nowhere to go but up.

I disagree. 2/3 of our planet is still unexplored and awaiting us. We simply lack the technology to colonize the oceans yet.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Boston and the Oregon Trail are on Earth. Big difference! I'm being realistic!
Perhaps you don't mind dying alone in a strange place but some prefer to die in their own familiar surroundings. If you think you can handle it then by all means go. Bon Voyage.

If there's nobody here that will miss you, then it sounds like its right up your alley.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The clustered engines on the booster remind me of the Soviet N-1, which is not a good thing.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   

It's brave of those who dare to take the leap in the unknown.

Not knowing if they ever will see glimpse of earth and the sadness over here when things go wrong could maybe lead for another aproach afterwards I guess.

Maybe ,maybe if and when the first go and things don't work out well black projects are willing to save and rescue some,that is if those projects are really running at this time as the world wide rumors say they are .Not that we will ever know ,but we will see .

I really wish those who sign for this to make a very sain decision.

I'm more for a unmanned mission with robots that have a human like conditions to explore before we go..

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Not sure who they're going to send I know people want to go. But I can't see them basing who they send off by who pays the most, unless that same person carries just that many useful skills as well. I can see who are really to survive on Mars putting up with bull$hit for groups of people that paid their way there for very long. My money is on there being a "whoops" with an airlock and the person or persons causing the trouble.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join