It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk outlines Mars colonization plan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Musk and others like Hawking think we have to colonize other planets and that's a good idea. It doesn't matter what some may think about Musk, he's on the right track. Here's more:

SpaceX is developing a massive rocket and capsule to transport large numbers of people and cargo to Mars with the ultimate goal of colonizing the planet, company chief and tech billionaire Elon Musk said on Tuesday.

Musk outlined his plans for the Mars rocket, capable of carrying 100 passengers plus cargo per voyage, even as SpaceX is still investigating why a different rocket carrying a $200 million Israeli satellite blew up on a launch pad in Florida earlier this month.

Though Musk said he envisions humans living in a large colony on Mars, he added that one key issue will be getting the cost down low enough to attract willing volunteers.

"You can't create a self sustaining civilization if the ticket price is $10 billion per person," he said during a presentation at the International Astronautical Congress meeting in Guadalajara.

"Our goal is to get it roughly equivalent to (the) cost of a medium house in the United States, about $200,000."

www.reuters.com...

10 billion per person has to be reduced but surviving in those conditions also trying to prepare for unforseen things that may occur will be costly.

Bezos from Amazon.com is doing something similar.

Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos's Blue Origin space venture is also designing a heavy-lift vehicle and capsule called New Armstrong, that will be capable of Mars transport, company President Rob Meyerson said.

You can volunteer to be the first to go to Mars but Musk warns the risk of fatality is high. At least he's upfront about it.

In his remarks, Musk said there would be no guarantee of survival for anyone signing up with SpaceX for the "incredible adventure" of a trip to Mars.

"The risk of fatality will be high, there's no way around it. Basically, are you prepared to die, and if that's OK then you're a candidate for going," he said.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Can't wait to watch this, it's going to be fascinating for the first 19 minutes.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

I just watched the SpaceX conference live, here's the video for anyone who is interested (It actually starts at 22 min into the video).

For the sake of your sanity, SKIP THE Q & A AT THE END OF THE VIDEO!!!!!!

edit on 27/9/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/9/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
That's so cool, it's probably going to take another decade or more before we actually get all people to consent (left family/home life behind) then astronaut training, then set off for Mars... That said, it will be a glorious day for the human race once it's touched down on the big red planet.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
It sounds interesting.

I'm more interested if anyone from ATS would give their life for a trip to Mars, for real not just imaginative.

I'll hold back, it sounds cool, but i don't think it is, but i'll drink a beer for those that go, when they go.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
It will be the greatest reality show ever made...

Maybe even pay per view

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
I'm more interested if anyone from ATS would give their life for a trip to Mars, for real not just imaginative.

If I was more qualified, and not married, then yes

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
"Our goal is to get it roughly equivalent to (the) cost of a medium house in the United States, about $200,000."

So it's going to be a retirement home for the rich ?

Good luck getting a mortgage for a 1 way ticket to possibly certain death, sure it's fine for middle aged/old aged folk who already own a house they can sell in exchange for their ticket but it sounds like there's going to be a distinct lack of young people.

I'd go if it was considerably cheaper though

I'd go tomorrow if somebody offered me the chance
edit on 27/9/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'd also go if i could afford it and have nothing to lose, someone who's going would ether have nothing left to stop them ie, family/friends etc or rich/old and doesn't want to spend more hard earned money on earth but find a new lease on life on Mars.

Guess well find out when it all takes place.
edit on 27-9-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

So it's going to be a retirement home for the rich ?

Good luck getting a mortgage for a 1 way ticket to possibly certain death, sure it's fine for middle aged/old aged folk who already own a house they can sell in exchange for their ticket but it sounds like there's going to be a distinct lack of young people.

Perhaps from your perspective, but if you look at population and net worth statistics, there will be thousands of young people qualified and rich enough to go. That's not really an issue, especially for people who have the right educational qualifications and can perform once they get there. I'm sure there will be scholarships to ensure diversity, too.
edit on 9/27/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I'll probably watch it or listen to it in the background while I do other stuff. But you made me curious, so I think I'll start with the Q&A session.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

It sounds interesting.

I'll hold back, it sounds cool, but i don't think it is, but i'll drink a beer for those that go, when they go.

I've always thought the trick would be finding people with "nothing to live/stay for" who are also stable, intelligent, healthy and motivated. That's the trick, but surely they exist! There's outliers in everything.

Think of professional baseball, for example. Lots of guys out there can play the field at a major league level. Lots of guys can hit fastballs. Lots of guys can run. Some can do all 3 but can't hit a breaking ball. A tiny percentage can do all of the above. 750 people worldwide are on a major league roster for most the season.

Maybe my analogy sucks, but my point is, surely we can find some hundreds of intelligent people with a lack of attachments / will to adventure & risk a high likelihood of death for the opportunity. What I wonder is whether we can find people with those traits who are also mentally stable.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I would think a massive amount of effort should go into automating as much infrastructure as possible for the colony ahead of planting humans there. Why can't such things as power, air, food and fuel production facilities not be set up ahead of time by robotic payloads with zero or minimal human interaction needed? I would think the odds of human survival go WAY up if they KNOW they have a valid survival system in place before the first human ever launches.

I wish the world could be led by intelligent visionaries the likes of Elon Musk instead of the ridiculous leadership that gets elected and only serves their own interests.

Not that Musk isn't a wealthy man, but one could argue much of his wealth has also come with great advancements for humanity and always seems to have that noble spirit of advancement and exploration that so much of humanity has lost.

Best of luck Elon. Mars or bust.
edit on 27-9-2016 by ProgressBar because: spellin

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I see musk as a pioneer he will probably start a new kind of space race trying to outrun NASA and other space agencies showing how powerful the private sector can be .

In his last rocket failure he suggested that it might be possible that a UFO blasted that rocket apart.
Maybe that UFO had connections with another space agency to stop his ambitious planning. Just an idea. .

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
How many died exploring the earth? We must accept risk if we want to reach greatness.

Maybe this will be my retirement in couple decades when my kids are grown. What an awesome way to go. Surely they would have some need for software developers?

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I don't think there will be a shortage of volunteers, even at $200K per ticket. Personally I don't see the appeal, Mars is so inhospitable, it would only take one evil individual to cut the oxygen supply in a few sectors and kill most people. I know 'cuz I seen teh Total Recall movie.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If he's trying to get it under $200k then he could tomorrow if the wanted to, he'd say ok the project will start for anyone with said amount of money and cheaper cause your the first to go etc.

Let's say in 5-8 years he managed to get it down to $300k easy to get double the people to sign up for Mars at half that and make money, once the project is set up and the first wave of people are on Mars he could in effect do it again for the same price with more people?

It wouldn't be easy but in time cheaper and more efficient.
edit on 27-9-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueShaman

Well ,I think the candidates will mostly exist of former astronauts or still in training that have evaluated full psychological test before even get that ticket.
Those are people who are very loyal team players imo.

Why risk your life you have to have suicidal tendencies to know that the risks are high that you probably not will survive.

That will never work , they have to lie to the new Martian colony that there's one escape capsule that can bring at least some of them home.

I don't see this happening if it's going to be this way it will never pass

edit on 0b26America/ChicagoTue, 27 Sep 2016 18:38:26 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 27 Sep 2016 18:38:26 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Sign me up!

I'm going to have to start a GoFundMe or Kickstarter for $200,000 though. But I would go in a heartbeat. No questions asked.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Believe me your questions will come when you arrive. .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join