It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tumeric is now official it repairs a key gene.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

This is great to know. Thanks for that info!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
No wonder so few people from India get cancer. I knew it was SOMETHING related to diet. Apparently it's the Tumeric that comes in the Curry spice. Thanks for this important info!

India's cancer rates are not that low and are increasing. They also have a high mortality rate compared to other countries.
India cancer statistics.
India has some of the highest cancer rates in the world.
India breast cancer increased by approximately 50% between 1965 and 1985.

a reply to: MuonToGluon
a reply to: Noinden

Exactly, there is no evidence of this yet, no article has been published with the data so that we can analyze it.

originally posted by: anonentity
I think that is irelevant, in Mosleys trial they just used store bought Tumeric, and measured the blood indicators before and after, which gave the significant results.He did mention that making its bioavailability by cooking was essential,and also using with black pepper increased the bioavailability many times. So the litle amount of Curcumin in the Tumeric, is made up for because of the way it was prepared to make its uptake more significant.

The thing is that we don't know yet how this work and how effective it is: first because the sample size was very small (less than 100 people), second because they haven't published their report yet so we don't know exactly how much was given, when, what kinds of fats they used for cooking, etc. Too many important details that we still don't know. We know it made some changes in a specific gene (SLC6A15) but we still don't know how.

Of course adding Turmeric to our daily diet won't do us any harm, on the contrary, but we still have no confirmed evidence it can actually help reduce cancer risks.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden

Its a contest? Gee andhere I thought you wished to discuss the impact of this result. Guess you are not up for objectivity

Eh, you kinda took all the fun out of it, for me, when you went off on the whole "rules of capitalization" tangent... Fyi. That did kinda make it look like it was starting to turn into some type, a very specific type, in fact, of a contest. Can you guess what kind of a very specific, specialized category of contest it is that I am thinking of that it was starting to look like you were attempting to engage/challenge the op to? A contest involving, and named after, a yellowish fluid expelled by all mammals as a waste product, and which has a pungent odor to it? One might even call it, or claim that it contains, biochemicals. Or perhaps not. I don't know everything, and that is ok with me.

I appreciate the mention of curry, just because its nice to have options. But perhaps 1,000 fold is not really necessary, and may even be "too much" with the whole chromosomal telemere repair thing or some other variable aspect of its effects. I take it "too much" was not a thing with the study you mentioned. Anyway, I'll go ahead and stick with "either/or is fine" until I am convinced otherwise.

I would be remiss to neglect bringing up the curious observation that, while you took out the time and were willing to sidetrack the discussion in order to correct OP on a petty capitalization issue, it took Maverick to come wandering in on page 2 for us to be told that telomeres are found on chromosomes, not genes. But biochemistry is your own playing field, your home turf. For someone who seems so keen to correct our OP that you went as far as to correct their capitalization, and yet passed up an opportunity to enlighten us all on something which must surely be a part of the basic ABCs of biochemistry, your chosen field, well, I must say... I'm starting to wonder if you are actually just an English teacher with chemistry and biochemistry for mere hobbies...

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

originally posted by: Noinden

Its a contest? Gee andhere I thought you wished to discuss the impact of this result. Guess you are not up for objectivity

Eh, you kinda took all the fun out of it, for me, when you went off on the whole "rules of capitalization" tangent... Fyi. That did kinda make it look like it was starting to turn into some type, a very specific type, in fact, of a contest. Can you guess what kind of a very specific, specialized category of contest it is that I am thinking of that it was starting to look like you were attempting to engage/challenge the op to? A contest involving, and named after, a yellowish fluid expelled by all mammals as a waste product, and which has a pungent odor to it? One might even call it, or claim that it contains, biochemicals. Or perhaps not. I don't know everything, and that is ok with me.

I appreciate the mention of curry, just because its nice to have options. But perhaps 1,000 fold is not really necessary, and may even be "too much" with the whole chromosomal telemere repair thing or some other variable aspect of its effects. I take it "too much" was not a thing with the study you mentioned. Anyway, I'll go ahead and stick with "either/or is fine" until I am convinced otherwise.

I would be remiss to neglect bringing up the curious observation that, while you took out the time and were willing to sidetrack the discussion in order to correct OP on a petty capitalization issue, it took Maverick to come wandering in on page 2 for us to be told that telomeres are found on chromosomes, not genes. But biochemistry is your own playing field, your home turf. For someone who seems so keen to correct our OP that you went as far as to correct their capitalization, and yet passed up an opportunity to enlighten us all on something which must surely be a part of the basic ABCs of biochemistry, your chosen field, well, I must say... I'm starting to wonder if you are actually just an English teacher with chemistry and biochemistry for mere hobbies...

You needed an actual essay to mention why he did not correct the OP on that it is not a gene but a chromosome? So your resort to a personal attack instead.

Nedion did not derail, he simply stated that taking curumim would be more beneficial then tumeric instead because it is the concentrated element of interest and the way of cooking it does not make tumeric more effective then a concentrated version; infact prepared that way would make it less beneficial.

Do not go on the attack because you have a personal issue with a member, wouldn't a more private avenue be more civil rather derailing the thread?
edit on 28-9-2016 by MuonToGluon because: SP

edit on 28-9-2016 by MuonToGluon because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-9-2016 by MuonToGluon because: I am beginning to dislike my Surface keyboard

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

I don't think it's sensible to view foods as a bunch seperate particles that all have their own seperate effects. Sure, the active ingredient is circumin, but that doesn't mean it's wise to isolate this one element of the whole food and dose up on it.

Food is food. It also happens to contain a vast array of active ingredients, some good some bad. But turmeric appears to have many health benefits as a general anti inflammatory. It's likely that isolated circumin could provide an increased response, but then you start to run into other problems. What dosage? Is too much unsafe? etc.

I'm less interested in the possiblity of producing a profit producing pill out of turmeric, than I am in the main point of this interesting study...

Eating turmeric regularly is probably good for you.... so keep having those curries - and don't forget the coconut oil! (and pepper).

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

What rules of capitalization tangent would that be? No seriously. It was not a tangent. I'd been told by someone who said they had no back ground in biochemistry I was wrong. That indicates they wish to play.
edit on 28-9-2016 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I've been using Curcumin/Turmeric (1000mg 2 or 3 times per day) for several months for my Hip Pain. I was informed by numerous individuals that this has help them and it seems to do a good job for me. Now, I only have to take Naproxen only on my worst day. But eventually, I will need to get the hip replaced (63m)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

They better be careful what they say about it! Just remember that in 2 days, DEA wants to label Kratom as a "Drug" with ZERO health benefits, and "STRONG" potential for abuse. We wouldn't want to allow the potential for "abuse" of this new "Dangerous Drug" called "Tumeric", now would we??? /End sarcasm

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Yes its true Indias Cancer rates along with Chinas and Japans, are increasing,its not coincidental that the rises are in line with the adoption of more Western diets.Their Diabetes rates are skyrocketing as well.The Diabetes hammers the immune system.So it will get worse.My personal belief is that you can put most of it down to Dairy consumption.The "Milk is good for you" slogan along with cheese has killed and maimed more people than the first world war, put in some sugar and you have a growing health apoclypse.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I make treats for my dogs using turmeric, honey, olive oil, black pepper, garlic flour egg and some sugar. Supposedly helps with multiple things including enlarged heart. I know my oldest dog is much healthier and seems to not hurt as bad.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I would dearly love to get my 74 year old father (who suffers terribly from arthritis) on Turmeric...

...Unfortunately, he is incredibly stubborn, and there is no way I could get him to do any of the Golden Milk stuff or even add turmeric to his food (bit of a fussy eater too), so -

- If anyone knows or hears of a truly effective and not too expensive Turmeric/Curcumin supplement, could you please post the information, including the best place to purchase?

I'm also hoping that the supplement might help with his mood - he's always been a bit on the depressive side, and now with the physical pain plus being 'bummed' about aging in general, I'm worried that he will sink into 'full-blown' Depression...
...And since, he's the type who tends to denial over that sort of thing and would definitely never seek professional help or take medication for it, a turmeric/curcumin supplement would be perfect, as I know I could convince him to just give it a try for a couple months as a remedy for the arthritis pain..

Thanks so much!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
Yes its true Indias Cancer rates along with Chinas and Japans, are increasing,its not coincidental that the rises are in line with the adoption of more Western diets.Their Diabetes rates are skyrocketing as well.The Diabetes hammers the immune system.So it will get worse.

Many factors influence the increased incidence of cancer but I agree that diet has a strong link with the disease.

My personal belief is that you can put most of it down to Dairy consumption.The "Milk is good for you" slogan along with cheese has killed and maimed more people than the first world war, put in some sugar and you have a growing health apoclypse.

I disagree as some countries with lower cancer rates have a high consumption of milk. Also, different studies have come up with contradictory results.

I have read studies that have shown that milk can protect against bowel cancer, but I've also read studies that have shown milk can increase the risk of ovarian cancer. There is a large European study currently investigating the possible link between diet, lifestyle and cancer (including milk of course). Have a look, it's got lots of information: EPIC

edit on 29-9-2016 by Agartha because: Fixed quote.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing this thread into the spotlight. Turmeric and fresh-ground black pepper, are nice partners.
Have not seen this link, to this awesome site, posted in this thread yet, so:

Turmeric for health!

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
so pill form does nothing?

Actually, it does as long as it includes piperine/bioperine (black pepper - many brands actually come with this mixed in). OR you can chomp a few peppercorns right after you take a capsule and you're good. Also - note that Turmeric is often known as "Curcumin". Sam's Club actually now sells a really large bottle that does have the piperine in the formula and I just decided to try it (have been taking Curcumin/ Turmeric for a while now). It seems to be as good as the super expensive stuff I was taking.

When you look up the PROVEN health benefits (aside from the 'claimed health benefits), Turmeric is amazing. More effective than Bystolic on BP, more effective than radiation for treating superficial skin cancers, more effective than most prescription arthritis drugs (which is why I started taking and can vouch for this one myself). Also, clears the skin, cuts seem to heal faster, seems to decrease fatigue and more. AND it's great for the kidneys and flushing them.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: nicevillegrl

Actually, it does as long as it includes piperine/bioperine (black pepper - many brands actually come with this mixed in). OR you can chomp a few peppercorns right after you take a capsule and you're good. Also - note that Turmeric is often known as "Curcumin". Sam's Club actually now sells a really large bottle that does have the piperine in the formula and I just decided to try it (have been taking Curcumin/ Turmeric for a while now). It seems to be as good as the super expensive stuff I was taking.

When you look up the PROVEN health benefits (aside from the 'claimed health benefits), Turmeric is amazing. More effective than Bystolic on BP, more effective than radiation for treating superficial skin cancers, more effective than most prescription arthritis drugs (which is why I started taking and can vouch for this one myself). Also, clears the skin, cuts seem to heal faster, seems to decrease fatigue and more. AND it's great for the kidneys and flushing them.

Can you please post reputable evidence for the above?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DrakeINFERNO

Common misconception about a lot of these natural enzymes and such.... its like the enzyme in pineapple, it doesnt get activated at human body temperature, it has to go above 40degrees celcius, preferrably more which is why it works in food....

Also the reason why a lot of these pills dont work as intended. In theory... yes they work. Just not in practice.

Fat soluable additives also work best with... well, fat. So a nice dinner will contain the fats needed to break apart the substance.

In short, eay healthy and natural, instead of taking useless pills.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

The first link is a list of the medical reviews (scientific studies) done on turmeric. The other three links are condensed; easier to read.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.rxlist.com...

bebrainfit.com...

draxe.com...

Also - failed to mention in earliest post (it was late), it also shows promise for other cancers (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...) and alzheimer's (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...)

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

edit on 29-9-2016 by nicevillegrl because: add info

edit on 29-9-2016 by nicevillegrl because: add info

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

That's actually not completely true. As I posted in reply to your question, there are several medical studies that have been done on efficacy of turmeric in treating some cancers. There are over 2,400 studies done on it. Yes, of course, more intensive, long-term, studies need to be done but it does show promise in several reputable ones done by reputable and respected doctors and researchers. And yes, I did post the link below in response to your question.

For the record, I am not anti-traditional medicine when it's needed. However, I actually found out about the medical benefits of turmeric (I was already taking it anecdotally for my arthritis and it was helping) from my father's transplant surgeon at the largest, MOST reputable, teaching hospital in our country. Basically, he said it most likely could be added to any traditional medical protocols so long as the physician was aware it was being taken.

From then, my husband, previously on bystolic for high blood pressure, added turmeric with the consent of his doctor and has since come off bystolic completely. As a "side effect", a spot on his arm being "watched" by his doctor for its "suspiciousness", has completely gone away. That's when I started researching it more and found all the peer reviews and studies about it's efficacy with early-stage skin cancer.

It seems to have some pretty amazing implications but I would not ever say to use it "in lieu of" without talking with your doctor.

edit on 29-9-2016 by nicevillegrl because: spelling

edit on 29-9-2016 by nicevillegrl because: grammar

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: nicevillegrl
That's actually not completely true.There are over 2,400 studies done on it.

That may be true, I haven't seen how many studies there are, but what people not in a scientific or medical profession don't understand is that only clinical trials are definitive evidence of Turmeric working (or not). And that is what we lack: clinical trials (with live humans, not mice, not cells in a petri dish).

I don't mind discussing any articles you may have, I love discussing medical topics and human biology is my passion. Let's analyze the articles you posted:

This study is about lung cancer cells. Unfortunately what works in a petri dish does not necessarily work in a human body. This study is not evidence that curcumin can target lung cancer cells inside a live human body.

This article about prostate cancer is also about a study on cells in a lab. It's not a clinical trial.

This one looks very interesting but I can't access anything but the abstract and you cannot analyze an article properly without being able to read it all. If you find the whole article please post and I will read it.

Now, these three pages:

www.rxlist.com...
bebrainfit.com...
draxe.com...

They are not reputable sites and I found a lack of good references to back up their claims. But if you think they have good evidence, please post the citation here and I am happy to read it.

Like I said before: there are lots of studies but no concrete evidence yet of curcumin working. We need some good clinical trials to find out.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
RECIPE WARNING!!!

Ive read the whole thing lately about Turmeric being the new wonder "drug" etc etc etc... but I can tell you, it makes a yummy thing to cook with. If you like turmeric or are cooking for those stubborn types who dont want to use supplements.. you can slip it in easy. We just have it as a part of our diet.. and have for years. Here is my #1 recipe I made up that everyone loves:

Get a cast iron pot with lid. Preheat oven to 300. Pack in the pot chicken breasts or a whole chicken. Cut up red onion, chives/green onions/etc from the garden ( I just see whats out there and throw it in) , and add in some stock you save from a previous chicken boil or veg stock.. not much, maybe a cup. Put in turmeric ( powdered from the store, or grate your own from the whole root) , on the spot fresh ground mixed pepper ( I have a mix I made up with back, green, red, pink, peppercorns) ,a little salt, cut up a sweet green pepper, whole mushrooms, fresh minced garlic, a little olive oil or walnut oil if you prefer a little nutty flavor. Put the lid on it and let it cook.. a long time. Just poke it once in a while to see how its doing. Stir here and there unless its the whole bird. I did this with a bunch of quail too. The slow cook gets the flavors to come together and soak in the meat.. its just super yummy. I just serve this over rice so the rice turns a beautiful yellow. I serve a freshly sliced avocado with some pepper sprinkled on the slices, ( cause Im an avocado nut) and seasoned chicpeas.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join