a reply to: Maxatoria
You are correct about the fuse but the design of our plug itself was a safety feature, our earth pin is longer than our live pin and neutral pin
connection's and this allowed a sliding plastic mechanism that was intended to prevent children from sticking thing's into electricity socket's, of
course it never really worked very well but there are probably thousand's of kid's alive today because it did work a lot of the time that would
otherwise have been electrocuted.
You know what little boy's are like they are daring and will stick something in just to see what happen's which is yet another reason why parent's
have to watch them, I remember being a small boy when a drunk driver lost control of there car and knocked a concrete street lamp over (we call them
lamp posts), anyway the council did not send an electrician out because it was not reported for a few week's and we would take dare's peeing on the
lamp post to see who had the courage to pee the closest and get the most spark's, my point being that kid's do stupid thing's.
Now as for the fuse you are correct but remember we have both main's fuse box (higher rated of course) and socket fuses so it was also a safety
redundancy as well but of course later the invention of the RCD came along with it's cut out switch and these day's most new home's here and in other
nation's do have a primary RCD in there main's fuse box.
Table Lamp's, 3 or 5 amp fuse.
TV's, 5 amp fuse.
Clothes Iron's. Electric fires (heaters), Kettle's etc 13 amp fuse.
So the fuse is really also to blow if the product rated start's to draw more than enough ampers to burn the fuse out so it is also a safety
Now back to RCD's as you know many people used to get killed every year in there back garden's mowing there lawn's with there electric lawn mowers
and had back then they had no safety cut out RCD (Residual Current Device) meaning that when they rode over the main's lead (We have all done it) if
the grass was even a little wet they could and often did receive a fatal shock through the ground moisture, enough to stop there heart.
So these day's the more important feature is to be found in SOME electrical good's and in almost all new build houses electricity fuse box.
Now I am as the thread author is actually proud of our electricity standard's, they are far and ways' far higher than those in Europe were there
plug's do not even have a safety fuse and I believe the same is the case for the State's though I can not be certain about that.
I can think of one humorous but tragic case of a man from Germany whom went on holiday to Spain, now he was a fan of a weird sexual fetish were they
send low current electric shock's through there genital's and apparently they somehow get pleasure out of this.
The story goes that this guest was not heard from for a few day's after checking in and eventually his neighbours started to complain about the smell
coming from his room so after being unable to contact him the hotel staff opened the door and found him still smiling lying on his bed with his
unmentionable's wired to the main's through a home made contraption, it was not however a bizarre suicide but an unfortunate turn of event's though
many would see it as innevitable.
In Spain you see there electricity grid is prone to surges and one of these must have overloaded his home made contraption, still it does add new
meaning to sparking up a relationship.
edit on 18-9-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)