It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton: Half of Trump supporters are in 'basket of deplorables'

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: UnBreakable

By deplorable I mean those celebrating hate, intolerance, bigotry and racism.

As long as they aren't straight, white, hard working males.........

I am a straight, white, hard-working male?

And I think that easily 30% of Trump supporters are drawn to his proudly bigoted, racist and intolerant rhetoric?

There is a strange assumption that all "hard-working" Straight, White men agree with Trump's rhetoric..
I think it is an echo-chamber effect.

I'll ask you the same question I've asked numerous times here with no answer. Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. Please tell me one statement, one fact where Trump has implied that one race is superior to another. The key here is that racism is NOT saying that illegals shouldn't be here, that you don't like Obama or asking why black people riot. Tell me one time that it can be proven that Trump EVER said ANYTHING that fits the definition of racism.

If you can't...then stop calling names and stop labeling someone unjustly based upon your prejudice and bigotry against Trump and a portion of his supporters...because that makes you a bigot. Yes...you can be a bigot of people that you don't like even if you believe your opinion is right and theirs wrong. That is pretty much the definition of that word.
edit on 9/12/2016 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
If any of you want to keep complaining about being in the "deplorables" ... just think about what you're saying ... you're not a hard-working American who wants a change ... you're a racist, sexist, homophobic, religious bigot.

And if you're NOT any of those things, then Hillary Clinton did NOT call you "deplorable."

Good try...bad execution. Hillary said that about 50% of Trump's supporters fall into that category. She didn't say "if you are a...", she specifically stated that 50% of Trump's supporters ARE that. And yes I know she "regrets" that comment. I don't forgive her and I doubt any of Trump's supporters will.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys wearing yarmulkes… Those are the only kind of people I want counting my money. Nobody else…Besides that, I tell you something else. I think that’s guy’s lazy. And it’s probably not his fault because laziness is a trait in blacks.”

This was quoted by Mark O'Donnell in his 1991 book Trumped, and Mr. Trump, in 1997 in a interview with Playboy said "Yeah, I probably said it."

He has since denied that he ever made that statement.

Is Donald Trump a Racist? Here's What the Record Shows - Fortune Magazine

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The people that she was talking about as well as those complaining about it in this thread would never vote for her anyway so this will have zero actual effect.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

If any of you want to keep complaining about being in the "deplorables" ... just think about what you're saying ... you're not a hard-working American who wants a change ... you're a racist, sexist, homophobic, religious bigot.

And if you're NOT any of those things, then Hillary Clinton did NOT call you "deplorable."

Good try...bad execution. Hillary said that about 50% of Trump's supporters fall into that category. She didn't say "if you are a...", she specifically stated that 50% of Trump's supporters ARE that. And yes I know she "regrets" that comment. I don't forgive her and I doubt any of Trump's supporters will.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but let me break it down: let's assume that, rather than the typically interpreted rhetorical device in which "half of" means "a lot" ... let's say that she was making a LITERAL declaration that ONE HALF of Trump Supporters are Racist, et. al.

That means that one half AREN'T. And in fact, she stated quite clearly what she thinks about that ONE HALF THAT AREN'T ... that they are hard-working Americans looking to protect their families who are looking for a change. Clinton encouraged empathy and understanding for these folks.

So, if your stilted interpretation is correct, according to Clinton, Trump's followers fall into two groups: hard-working Americans and deplorables.

So, the question is, are you a hard-working American Trump supporter, or a deplorable one?

Alternately, please show how racism, sexism, homophobia, religious bigotry, et. al. are NOT deplorable.
edit on 12-9-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but let me break it down: let's assume that, rather than the typically interpreted rhetorical device in which "half of" means "a lot" ... let's say that she was making a LITERAL declaration that ONE HALF of Trump Supporters are Racist, et. al.

That means that one half AREN'T. And in fact, she stated quite clearly what she thinks about that ONE HALF THAT AREN'T ... that they are hard-working Americans looking to protect their families who are looking for a change. Clinton encouraged empathy and understanding for these folks.

So, if your stilted interpretation is correct, according to Clinton, Trump's followers fall into two groups: hard-working Americans and deplorables.

So, the question is, are you a hard-working American Trump supporter, or a deplorable one?

Alternately, please show how racism, sexism, homophobia, religious bigotry, et. al. are NOT deplorable.

Not the point at all. The very fact you are asking this question... "which one are you?"... shows what Clinton said was divisive and hateful. There are racists and bigots on both sides of the political divide. What Clinton did was smear a group of people. One only needs to say that racists and bigots are deplorable, not isolate a group of people in general terms as she did. She's using labels to demean millions of people. Why should any Trump supporter have to defend themselves against smears of racism just because they are a Trump supporter? Typical divisive politics.

Clinton messed up and I think she knows it.
edit on 12/9/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

What Clinton said was not divisive or hateful ... she was stating easily observable facts. Actually, that speech was the first time I've actually admired her in this campaign.

Your claim that there are racists and bigots on both sides is specious. There are bigots and racists period. Surprise.

Speaking the easily observable truth about a group of people is not "smearing" them.

Labels are useful when labels describe things (or people) accurately.

As far as the ridiculous argument that Clinton is "being divisive" ... let's tear into just the most basic supposition there.

We're talking about a political contest, in which there are two are more sides that are opposed to each other ideologically.

Saying that politics is divisive, or more accurately, claiming that Clinton is divisive while implying I suppose that Trump isn't ...

(Pardon me a minute, I've been distracted by a fit of uncontrollable laughter ...)

Saying that politics and/or politicians is divisive is like saying that water is wet.

edit on 12-9-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Aw, she called us names.

Sorry, we Trump supporters really don't care.

That's kind of our thing...we don't get all butthurt over feelings and other PC BS.

The comment isn't going to make any Trump supporters feel any differently towards her.
Nor will it mean anything to her followers who already feel the same way about Trump supporters.

Though how they reconcile the fact that most are now voting for the very same gal who rigged it against their first choice, is still something I can't make heads or tails of. The very antithesis of what Bernie stood for, yet they are media-blinded so bad into hating Trump that they simply don't care about sacrificing their principles to not elect the "bad man"....

At least most of them won't even bother to head for the polls anyhow....unless they bother a Trump voter for a ride there.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Let's do a little math:

There's basically been an average five point spread between Clinton and Trump over the course of time.

So, let's say that is 46% Clinton and 41% Trump.

So, about 146 million registered voters in the US ...

that puts half of Trump's supporters at 19% of the electorate ...

Which is basically 1 in 5 people.

To say that 1 in 5 Americans would qualify as racist, sexist, homophobic, religiously bigoted, et. al. is pretty obviously a low number.

Whichever "side" you're on.

That's taking Clinton's "half" to me exactly 50% rather than "a lot of" ...

If you aren't racist, sexist, homophobic, religiously bigoted ... chill, the feisty old lady in the pantsuit wasn't talking about you.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

By deplorable I mean those celebrating hate, intolerance, bigotry and racism.

As long as they aren't straight, white, hard working males.........

I am a straight, white, hard-working male?

And I think that easily 30% of Trump supporters are drawn to his proudly bigoted, racist and intolerant rhetoric?

There is a strange assumption that all "hard-working" Straight, White men agree with Trump's rhetoric..
I think it is an echo-chamber effect.

I'll ask you the same question I've asked numerous times here with no answer.

OK...listening...

Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another.

OK..

Please tell me one statement, one fact where Trump has implied that one race is superior to another.

"“He’s a Mexican,” “We’re building a wall between here and Mexico. The answer is, he is giving us very unfair rulings — rulings that people can’t even believe.”

Judge Curiel was born in Indiana..

I will let the leader of the GOP in the House explain that one to you...

“Claiming a person can’t do their job because of their race is sort of like the textbook definition of a racist comment,” House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said in a reaction to Trump’s comments.

The Justice Department sued his company ― TWICE ― for not renting to black people

Three doormen said they had been instructed to deflect blacks who came to Trump buildings to apply for apartments.
Though just 26 years old at the time, Donald Trump was already president of the Trump Organization. Rather than work with the government to bring the company into compliance with the law, as the New York apartment king Sam LeFrak had done, Trump retained one of the most notorious lawyers in the country, Roy Cohn, and commence an all-out legal war.

fortune.com...

Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day. Those are the kind of people I want counting my money. No one else.”
“The stuff O’Donnell wrote about me is probably true,” he told Playboy in an interview published in May 1997.

www.washingtonpost.com...

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

David Duke? And Trump retweeting fake stats from White Supremacist sites? And multiple retweeting of posts from white supremacists.

...just a quick sampling

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I saw this yesterday morning and was shocked to say the least. After all her "America is great" talk, and unification speeches, she basically tells half the country they are fricken idiots or phobics and expects no backlash? I swear it reminds me of the obama supports telling people they were racist for not voting for him.

This election is...well, the most disturbing and off the wall election ever. Only plus side I see, is normal people who never look at conspiracies(not that all us here are not normal, but you know what I mean) are starting to look around and take notice of the obvious corruption on both sides, and realizing deep down, they are just a vote, a source of income via taxes, and they really don't matter to the politicians. I sense a small awakening beginning to occur.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

There are racists and bigots on both sides of the political divide.

Correct...but the VAST MAJORITY of them support Trump...and for good reason.

That's just the facts...

I'd place the number of racists supporting Clinton over Trump to be smaller than the number of African Americans supporting Trump.

Trump is one giant dog whistle to racists...and that is something anyone can see absent the emotional/ideological mandate to defend him. It's why a ton of CONSERVATIVES that are OPPOSED to Clinton have regularly called him out on it.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: tnhiker
I saw this yesterday morning and was shocked to say the least. After all her "America is great" talk, and unification speeches, she basically tells half the country they are fricken idiots or phobics and expects no backlash?

Not half the country...Half of Trump supporters...and considering the countries low rates of political participation...that math gets fairly tiny in proportion to "the country". AND yes...Half of Trumps vocal supporters are deplorable.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

What Clinton said was not divisive or hateful ... she was stating easily observable facts. Actually, that speech was the first time I've actually admired her in this campaign.

Your claim that there are racists and bigots on both sides is specious. There are bigots and racists period. Surprise.

Speaking the easily observable truth about a group of people is not "smearing" them.

As far as the ridiculous argument that Clinton is "being divisive" ... let's tear into just the most basic supposition there.

We're talking about a political contest, in which there are two are more sides that are opposed to each other ideologically.

Saying that politics is divisive, or more accurately, claiming that Clinton is divisive while implying I suppose that Trump isn't ...

(Pardon me a minute, I've been distracted by a fit of uncontrollable laughter ...)

Saying that politics and/or politicians is divisive is like saying that water is wet.

So would it be ok for me to say half the people who support Democrats are murderers or drug dealers?
Or half the people who support Clinton are rapists?
So , which camp are you in. Are you a murderer, drug dealer, rapist? Or are you law abiding?

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

That's just the facts...

I'd place the number of racists supporting Clinton over Trump to be smaller than the number of African Americans supporting Trump.

Trump is one giant dog whistle to racists...and that is something anyone can see absent the emotional/ideological mandate to defend him. It's why a ton of CONSERVATIVES that are OPPOSED to Clinton have regularly called him out on it.

Show me the data that says the vast majority of racists are supporting Trump.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

That's just the facts...

I already did. Charts and all. You can check "posts in thread"...
I try to avoid getting baited into posting the same post over and over when people "miss" it.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

So would it be ok for me to say half the people who support Democrats are murderers or drug dealers?

It would if the data and evidence supported it?

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
We have a vision...we stand together...WE ARE:

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

That's just the facts...

I already did. Charts and all. You can check "posts in thread"...
I try to avoid getting baited into posting the same post over and over when people "miss" it.

Seen no evidence from you at all. Maybe it was one of the several deleted posts?

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

It would if the data and evidence supported it?

It appears no evidence is required - at least by Hillary's standards.
My example position on Hillary supporters is no less valid than hers on Trump supporters.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join