It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: BLM’s Wild Horse Advisory Board Just Voted To Kill All 44,000 Captive Wild Horses I

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

That is actually a really good idea. They could use the profits to pay the folks who capture them. ~$heopleNation

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Aren't we a great species. We just love killing. God must be regretting creating us.

posted on Sep, 18 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: saracene

Which alleged god? Abrahamic, Hindu, Sikh?
I have and will kill for food, no god has ever put protein on my table.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Hey Don'tTreadOnMe: and everyone else commenting and interested here: Today there was a front page Washington Post article by Karin Brulliard: "U.S. Government won't kill 45,000 wild horses--not yet, anyway. ThisLINK gives a lot of information about the issue, and to follow, for those who want to know where and whom to respond to about the issue, there is another link of adminstrators of the BLM you can actually write to or call about this issue. Just a few you can write to or call, to voice your concern, provide suggestions, or just basically vent to. This info comes from www.wildhoofbeats.com, and I quote some of that article, here:
The Bureau of Land Management’s Wild Horse and Burro Advisory Board has just voted in favor of killing all the wild horses currently in short term and long term holding, approximately 44,000 horses. The only NO vote on the Advisory Board was from Ginger Kathrens of the Cloud Foundation.

Being extremely fond of euphemisms, the BLM uses the term “euthanasia” which is incorrect.

Definition of Euthanasia: “the act or practice of killing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals (as persons or domestic animals) in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy.” This is in fact murder, not euthanasia.

The intent behind this vote was to send a strong message to Washington, DC so that this might happen. Dean Bolstad, Division Chief had been alluding to killing the captive wild horses earlier in the meeting.

This is BLM’s endgame for our wild horses.

Please speak up – send comments to the Advisory Board ASAP at this address: [email protected]
Bolding mine.

Further, here are some people and places to respond to:

Dean Bolstad, Division Chief [email protected]

Neil Kornze, Director of the BLM [email protected], [email protected]

Sally Jewell, Secretary of the Interior [email protected], [email protected]

You can email the bloody-minded Advisory Board individually as well:

June Sewing: [email protected]; Fred Woehl: [email protected]; Robert Cope: [email protected]; Julie Weikle: [email protected]; Sue McDonnell: [email protected]; Steven Yardley: [email protected]; Ben Masters: [email protected]

and you can thank Ginger Kathrens for standing strong in the face of such complete and utter disregard for the interests of our wild horses and burros: [email protected].

And further, if you're motivated enough:

Then write your Congressmen and Senators and the White House:

www.whitehouse.gov...

www.senate.gov...

www.house.gov...

This outrage must not stand.
I've already provided the link above where I found this information.

Another fact, worthy of note, I think, is that these horses are already in "holding." They aren't roaming free, any longer, have already been herded using helicopters to get them into these "holding" facilities, meaning corrals.

Further information attendant to this issue, can be found at this LINK
I'll try to limit what I quote here as much as possible, as a lot of it has already been covered by some of us already, but I think it bears repeating:

Unfortunately, when trying to quote much of this article, it seems that's impossible as it's a private, joining only type of site, where even if I signed up, found it impossible to highlight and paste further. Anyone interested in the extreme comlexity of the issue, I strongly encourage you to investigate further, as there are many misconceptions and information floating around in regards to it that I cannot provide any real synopsis within our quoting functions, here.
I've provided the links, and seems that's all I can do, at this point. But certainly, it's worth further investigation. Management of wildlife by Game and Fisheries was brought by many times, as I've mentioned here, many times as a possible solution to the issue, though only one of a multifaceted problem which needs addressing from many different angles. BLM technically manages land, not wild herds of animals inhabiting such land. And I don't think even the BLM would disagree that they are not the best candidates for managing these herds. My best suggestion, as I've stated before that wild game and fisheries departments are likely far better suited for such a responsibility.

Just my humble opinion. But I certainly hope those who care take the time to fully inform themselves, and avail themselves of lots of information out there, and I hope I've at least provided some places to gather more information and people to contact about this issue.

Take care everyone, and mostly, I hope, we can continue to shine a light on the issue so that people continue to care.
tetra
Oh, and one more tidbit of info many may not be aware of: the stabling of mares used to collect estrogen....a whole other story, and one worthy of investigation. Cruel doesn't begin to describe this, no matter if you ae a man, never having faced the need for estrogen for women, being post menopausal....
edit on 19-9-2016 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

NO!!!!

NO!!

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I'm guilty of not reading through the whole thread, but anyway - here:

U.S. government: No plans to kill 45,000 wild horses

“The ones that voted for it voted for it just to bring it to a head, that we had to do something. We couldn’t just sit on our hands anymore,” Woehl said. “There’s nobody on that board that wants to get rid of the horses.”

Woehl said he’s received threats since the vote. Masters wrote that he’d gotten 500 hate emails – but he hoped it would be worth it.

“We’re hoping Congress sees our recommendation and thinks, ‘Oh, damn, this is really, really bad,'” Masters told National Geographic Adventure. “Then maybe they’ll give the BLM extra funding to open more public lands for wild horses and burros, to buy seed to rehabilitate the native range land, and to expand the use of humane contraception to slow population growth.”

“With the lack of water, I would say at least 10 or 15 percent of the horses are going to die in the next 12 months,” Woehl said. “This is not a cattle versus horse issue. This is an animal versus environment or range issue. I wouldn’t care if they were buffalo, if they were deer or if they were geese. The range is in bad, bad shape.”

I know someone that works at rehabilitating and keeping raptors that can't be released back into the wild. His entire life is devoted to raising money - and since 2008 it's been even harder than usual - and usual is hard enough. It's a small dedicated crew of volunteers that works with the birds. Most people have no idea how much time and effort goes into something like this - and money

About 3 years ago he was looking at having to put all the birds down. It was a very grim thing to have to contemplate - but there was no way to keep it going. They were saved at the last minute

This is reality: $50,000 per horse per year - 45,000 horses

Heartbreaking

But, not quite yet...

edit on 9/22/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
LOL at all the people who don't understand wildlife management.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

I'm guilty of not reading through the whole thread, but anyway - here:

U.S. government: No plans to kill 45,000 wild horses

“The ones that voted for it voted for it just to bring it to a head, that we had to do something. We couldn’t just sit on our hands anymore,” Woehl said. “There’s nobody on that board that wants to get rid of the horses.”

Woehl said he’s received threats since the vote. Masters wrote that he’d gotten 500 hate emails – but he hoped it would be worth it.

“We’re hoping Congress sees our recommendation and thinks, ‘Oh, damn, this is really, really bad,'” Masters told National Geographic Adventure. “Then maybe they’ll give the BLM extra funding to open more public lands for wild horses and burros, to buy seed to rehabilitate the native range land, and to expand the use of humane contraception to slow population growth.”

“With the lack of water, I would say at least 10 or 15 percent of the horses are going to die in the next 12 months,” Woehl said. “This is not a cattle versus horse issue. This is an animal versus environment or range issue. I wouldn’t care if they were buffalo, if they were deer or if they were geese. The range is in bad, bad shape.”

I know someone that works at rehabilitating and keeping raptors that can't be released back into the wild. His entire life is devoted to raising money - and since 2008 it's been even harder than usual - and usual is hard enough. It's a small dedicated crew of volunteers that works with the birds. Most people have no idea how much time and effort goes into something like this - and money

About 3 years ago he was looking at having to put all the birds down. It was a very grim thing to have to contemplate - but there was no way to keep it going. They were saved at the last minute

This is reality: $50,000 per horse per year - 45,000 horses

Heartbreaking

But, not quite yet...

Wish you'd read the whole thread. I already posted pertinent info as to the horses they are planning to "euthanize," but I guess you couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread and all the attendant issues to this, and the postings....
I am guilty, myself, of occasionally not reading a whole thread before responding, but here, I think, it was a worthy read.

Those horses that will perhaps be culled, are herded by helicopter for their inconvenience in certain areas where pipelines are being build and maintained, and they are getting in the way. There is much to this issue. It would behoove one to totally educate oneself on the matter, I think, before making replies. Just saying.
tetra

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

...but I guess you couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread and all the attendant issues to this, and the postings.... I am guilty, myself, of occasionally not reading a whole thread before responding, but here, I think, it was a worthy read. ...

Sorry I ruined your special moment

:-)

I was only addressing the most obvious part of the OP - they're not moving to euthanize - yet

May I direct you to the post just below mine? Snarky - but on the nose

Managing wildlife is beyond problematic - and no matter what you do at some point you're going to have to do something unpleasant. Not everyone is going to understand the reasons - or care about those reasons

Because animals are involved

I can be as guilty of this as anyone. Even when I understand both the rock - and the hard spot

It would behoove one to totally educate oneself on the matter, I think, before making replies. Just saying. tetra

Just saying - no reason for you to be so unfriendly. But - I award you extra points for working the word behoove into a thread about horses

Not going to apologize though - you aren't required reading

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Well now where is Vermin Supreme going to get all our ponies?

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: searching411

44..THOUSAND have tested positive..? I doubt it

I've only gotten a few pages in and can't read anymore. Is there anyone that has organized an emergency adoption event or something?

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Horse Lives Matter :-(

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Thanks for the extra info tetra.
50k per horse?!-- what the hell are they doing there?!

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

...but I guess you couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread and all the attendant issues to this, and the postings.... I am guilty, myself, of occasionally not reading a whole thread before responding, but here, I think, it was a worthy read. ...

Sorry I ruined your special moment

:-)

I was only addressing the most obvious part of the OP - they're not moving to euthanize - yet

May I direct you to the post just below mine? Snarky - but on the nose

Managing wildlife is beyond problematic - and no matter what you do at some point you're going to have to do something unpleasant. Not everyone is going to understand the reasons - or care about those reasons

Because animals are involved

I can be as guilty of this as anyone. Even when I understand both the rock - and the hard spot

It would behoove one to totally educate oneself on the matter, I think, before making replies. Just saying. tetra

Just saying - no reason for you to be so unfriendly. But - I award you extra points for working the word behoove into a thread about horses

Not going to apologize though - you aren't required reading

"sorry you ruined my special moment?" I have to say, that's truly funny. What would make this my special moment. I abhor everything about this discourse. And that, my friend, is very insulting, as it's obvious my passion for this animal and issue.
Of course I'm not required reading, and you are not, either. Especially since you've already admitted you didn't read anything required in order to post what you did.

As in: It was already posted what wildlife management encompasses, as well as no management, and die off by attrition, meaning what the environment will support, and lack of apex predators to control natural population. This was all discussed. All I was pointing out was in not reading the whole thread, you obviously missed this was already discussed at length, and just "chiming in" at the last moment with your seeds of intellect does all of us who have hung in there and pointed these things out, as not pretty as they are, a disservice.

Thanks for pointing out I am not required reading. But you missed the whole point, bc you're addressing something already addressed, which means....well.....maybe you aren't required reading, either, since you're being redundant and repetitive and somewhat disrespectful, as we've already discussed your points in the thread.

Just saying.
take care
tetra
edit on 26-9-2016 by tetra50 because: additives

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Starcrossd

Thanks for the extra info tetra.
50k per horse?!-- what the hell are they doing there?!

Hey Starcrossd:

That's an excellent question. Imho, they are inflating what it takes to support one horse, in order to justify the "euthanization." And that is from personal experience, as I've supported, fed, cleaned stalls, trained, solved problem horses for many years......and though I have very little money, as I've never been very good at making money via horse trading as I become too attached to verify the bottom line about finances, I've never seen any horse cost that much money.....even performance horses such as racehorses, showhorses, etc....

So, I'm wondering exactly where that monetary figure is derived from....perhaps they're adding in the helicopter fuel used to herd them into paddocks, and paying people to "euthanize" them using nail guns to their heads? Yeah, that's compassionate killing, alright.
tetra

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   
LINKAs for what horses are capable of and what kind of animals they are, and their potential intelligence, which I think very much matters in this discussion, I offer this:

Horses can learn to use symbols to communicate their preferences, study finds
Posted Sat at 8:40pm

A mare and foal stand in the afternoon sun.
PHOTO: Horses were trained to touch a board with their muzzle to indicate if they wanted to wear a rug. (1233 ABC Newcastle: Robert Virtue)
RELATED STORY: Australian birds are smarter than we think
MAP: Norway
Horses have been used by human for agriculture, sport and leisure for years.

The training procedure included 10 steps to achieve the free choice learning including:

Introducing a display board to the horse, training it to touch it with the muzzle and letting them touch it independently
Horses learning the difference between symbols "blanket on" and "blanket off"
Teaching the horse to associate a particular action with the symbols on the board
Training the horse to signal if it was too cold or hot
Now they have joined a select group of animals that can communicate with humans by pointing at symbols.

A study, published in the Applied Animal Behaviour Science, has proven that horses can communicate with humans by indicating to certain symbols or objects.

A horse trainer in Norway worked with 23 various breeds of horses in an aim to develop a tool to "ask" horses whether or not they prefer to wear a blanket under different weather conditions.

The horses were trained to touch a board with their muzzle to indicate if they wanted to wear a rug.

The horses used their new insight to communicate their preference for blanketing in order to maintain comfortability, based on their individual perception of weather including ambient temperature, wind and precipitation.

"We wanted to explore whether the ability of horses to discriminate simple visual symbols could be extended with associations between specific symbols and corresponding outcomes, and furthermore the consequences for own comfort as perceived by the individual horse of these outcomes," the study said.

The animals' performance gives an insight into horses' learning abilities.

Dr Cecilie Mejdell of the Norwegian Veterinary Institute, who led the research, told the BBC the study added to the knowledge on horse recognition — about what horses were able to learn and how they think

"Horses are often considered to be not very intelligent but this shows that using the right methods they can actually communicate and express their opinions and they can take choices that seem sensible to us even," Dr Mejdell said.

While the results indicated that the horses had no difficulties learning to discriminate between the three simple visual symbols, one limitation noted by the researchers was that here was no right or wrong response in the free choice situation and the horses were rewarded for any choice they made.

Having quoted this article, I would advocate for a fish, as well, while I would find less intellectual analysis concerning fish, obviously. Plants, as well. Some defend the life of plants, for instance, citing that they "feel," so when we kill them we have a certain responsibility.

I'm not wishing to debate those points, really.
However, I do wish to point out, as a horse professional for many years, that many people think horses are kind of like dogs.....and don't mistake me: I love and have rescued many considered "dangerous and aggressive" dogs, for many years. But this is apples and oranges.

We have to, as a society, at some point, ask ourselves real, solvent questions about the preservation of nature and wildlife.....
Do pipelines delivering oil matter more, or the animals we chose at some point to set aside on certain preserved land for them to live on? Meaning, if it all comes down to driving cars and the dollar bill, what will be left of us, in the end?
edit on 26-9-2016 by tetra50 because: added link

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

It probably wouldn't take much research to figure out who my family is. Our property predates the strict definition of Canada and America and exists on both sides of the current border. Our neighbours are Crown Land, BLM, a National Park and more than one First Nations Reservation.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
lets get rid of old folks and old animals too...make sure there is no more vet work or nursing type work left....what a crazy thread...i love animals and sick and elderly folks and stuff, so can't see the reasoning in murder, personally...
sick premie babies...baby with two heads, get rid of them...any one familier with me knows i care for even deformend bugs and am using ill humor to get over horrendous crimes...againt's anything or anyone as i strive to be a breatharian...thanks for the imformative thread, here...

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

All good. Hopefully your family are great stewards of the land and congrats for being a small part in a larger picture. Keep up the good work

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join