It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chevy mechanic in the house?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Does that engine have the regular fuel rail for the injectors, or the "spider" that sat under the intake plenum. I know they quit using the spider sometime around then, but not sure exactly when. I ask because, if it's the spider, be prepared to replace any injectors you mess with. The tubing for them gets brittle over time and will likely crack when you disconnect them. Luckily, the entire thing is only around 250 to 300 for that engine, if it uses that type.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Yes, it will rev up

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

honestly not sure, looks like a rail outside the intake... pretty sure I can see the injectors, I wouldn't have known until I started googling these problems. But looks like a hard rail along the motor, between the coil packs and where a carburetor would sit

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Something else came to mind... fuel pressure regulator. I believe there is an easy way to check it. My old man had a fuel pressure regulator issue with a pontiac and it had very similar symptoms as you are describing, with the addition of long cranking time before it fired.

edit- found this on a forum fuel pressure regulator test
edit on 4-9-2016 by charolais because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: charolais

Yeah i have googled everything and that did come up. I did what was suggested and mine seems fine. No fuel leakage, good vacuum... I will check your link though and thank you.

I was able to repair my starter today so at least back up and running.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Well, you're lucky.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Well, you're lucky.

I don't feel lucky... if I was lucky the first thing I had done would have fixed it lol...

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Did you make any progress with the issue tinner?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Did you make any progress with the issue tinner?

not yet. The starter went out. had to repair that. A broken wire from the solenoid to the starter. Worst damn starter I have ever removed. I fixed the wire, hard to keep throwing money at it. 300k miles and all. Going to remove the #1 injector next weekend. I have a nice little caddy CTS but I am not suppossed to drive it because it doesnt have the breathalyzer in it. I dont really want to have it swapped in because I dont want the wires getting cut...

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
He said lean bank 1 and 2. Those had issues with the plastic plenums can get a new one on ebay for 75 bucks if its not a fuel delivery issue.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Corruptedstructure

I borrowed a coworkers obd2 code reader. pulled lots of old codes. erased those and ran it a bit. pulled random misfire code along with o2 sensor 1 bank 2. Got some crazy numbers on the stft and ltft. Not exactly sure what they mean but I read some good info on it.

Going to see if the local shop where I moved can get it in and just do a better diagnosis. Makes it hard with a breathalyzer installed and don't want to give up on it.

That or just replace the 02 sensor and throw more money into it????

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

What was the O2 code description. Slow response?

Could be O2 if that is the description. If it runs fine on cold startup until it into closed loop at 158F degrees and then runs rough then i would change that O2 sensor especially if the exhaust is black. But i was under the impressions you had a lean condition.
edit on 13-9-2016 by Corruptedstructure because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   

ok, when I first had auto zone read the codes it said random misfires multiple cylinders as well as banks 1 and 2 lean.

I have done a bunch of stuff to it since then, but those codes must be stored in the computer. I plugged in the obd2 and got

P0152 02 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0157 02 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

Now I have done some things to the engine since then so I erased those codes. Drove it just a short distance and the check engine light came on flashing. Ran bad. It has actually run worse since I changed fuel filter.
when I got it back home the only codes it read were the

P0152 02 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

and
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

had stft of -34.4 and ltft -2.3

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Well negative fuel trim is the computer respunding to a rich condition. I would start with th O2 sensor first since thy are basically a maintenance item like a spark plug and known issues for those engines. You must have fixed the lean condition.
P430 code could be something to watch for again later. Those engines were known to melt catalytic converters insides from misfire issues long term. Just something to keep in mind.
The P0442 typically is just a sticking open evap vent valve due to being dirty usually. Will not cause engine running issues.
You can jump on AcDelco website and serch your vehicle parts through their catalog link to get tye part numbers then get tgem cheap on Ebay, Amazon or similar. Delco parts have become as cheap and sometimes cheaper tan a lot of good aftermarket on these older vehicles.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

OK thanks for the advice. You sound like you know what you are talking about. Actually taking it in to the local shop tomorrow after work and have the try to do a more thorough diagnosis. Would have done (should have) 2 months ago if not for the breath device.

I explained the situation with the breathalyzer and what its doing, they were pretty understanding. They said bring it in and we'll see what we can see.

The cats were pretty well plugged when I cut them off. Barely a speck of light through them.

Hopefully we can get it fixed otherwise I may need to have the breath device put into my caddy, which was my original plan, that lasted about 15 minutes after I bought it and realized I don't want anybody clibing under the dash and cutting into my wires on that car.

So don't go to far please, may need some more advice tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

If its within your buget. Might as well replace both front O2 sensors if the other one is just as old. GMs also love a big bottle of Techron fuel injection cleaner on occasion..

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

would fuel injector cleaner work better if added to a low on fuel fuel tank? it just seems like adding a small bottle to a full tank is way diluted. I added seafoam a little bit ago, but am considering it again with premium gas. I have a 27 gallon tank,

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Seafoam is good also. half a tank is fine. Not really good for a fuel pump to be on low fuel a lot plus can pick up more junk if tank is old. 87 octane fuel is jun k these days even mid grade is a huge improvement in most states that run a lot of ethanol. Plus premium ages a lot slower

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I have heard about low fuel being bad for fuel pumps. For about 2 1/2 years I drove 100 miles one way to work. One fill up would get me 2 round trips, not necessarily low fuel light on, unless I did other driving, but it was on low fuel a lot.

I dont think anything repair wise is in my "budget" but I can afford it. Kinda have too. Driving my Caddy is driving without a license. Went too long for that action.

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I hear ya. Im in the same boat..

edit on 14-9-2016 by Corruptedstructure because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join