It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Internet naturally make people look creepy?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I believe the Internet tends to naturally make people look creepy. For instance, on a forum, what can make a person look creepy?

1. Posting on the wrong forum

I'm sure there are some people out there who say all members of this forum are creepy. It's guilt by association which is a huge factor in supposed creepiness.

2. Communicating with the wrong people

Just replying to the wrong person can get you labeled as creepy.

3. Using the 'wrong' words

4. Discussing the 'wrong' topics

5. Using the 'wrong' avatar

6. Not replying in certain situations

7. Starting the 'wrong' thread on the 'wrong' forum

8. Having the 'wrong' opinion

The list may be endless. It would be one thing if the concept of creepiness had a set definition. But, each person has their own definition of creepiness. I realize some of the things listed above apply to real life as well as the Internet. However, in my experience, it's much easier to clear up misunderstandings in real life. On the Internet, things are done and there's rarely a chance for two-way communication concerning them. That fact breeds misunderstandings.

Starting this thread will get me labeled as creepy by someone. C'est la vie.
edit on 1-9-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
If by creepy you mean mentally incompetent, then yes.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   

However, in my experience, it's much easier to clear up misunderstandings in real life.

I`ve been reminded of that, lately in combination with point 3.

There is a saying like "Many things can be undone, but not the spoken word."
I think this translates to the internet, too.

But I seldom find someone "creepy", because most of the times, I suspect a joke behind it.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Who cares if someone finds you creepy or whatever?

What can you use it for?
People need to stop taking yourself so serious.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Define creepy?

Yesterday I was reminiscing about my time in school and I remembered how wealth seemed to be a bigger deal to kids than it is with adults, can you personally remember the grief poor kids got for knock-off trainers?

You see, as people got older and achieved the lower paid jobs that the majority work they tend to realise they don't have wealth... In short they grow up and realise their parents wealth wasn't a reflection of themselves, that's probably a huge learning curve for some.

I see what you describe as creepy in a similar light, what many may claim as creepy is no different to a child calling another child poor. To most, creepy is something different and not like them "Wow that guy doesn't have a smart phone, says he only needs to call and send texts! What a creep!". I certainly believe that many label others "creep" due to their lack of understanding and sometimes lack of vocabulary.

Much of your list could be better averted with education rather than name calling, communication really can be a brilliant thing for understanding. But don't get me wrong, we have a few nuts in the fruit bowl and for the most part I see ATS welcoming them. After all, controversial and unorthodox thinking is what makes ATS great.

Communicate.

Don't label a Clinton supporter a creep just because, ask why and communicate... You might then have justification for the labelling of creepy
Or you might just get an alternative view from TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: coffeetalk
If by creepy you mean mentally incompetent, then yes.

What else should we expect from Al Gore's invention? Naturally, the Internet mimics it's creepy creator.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Take a look at this pic in the OP of this thread and tell me Augustus doesn't look creepy as hell....

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

I don't see how any of these things can be considered creepy. It's like the word "creepy" has a completely different definition in your mind.

People who are creepy online tend to be creepy in real life too it has nothing to do with the internet, and everything with their lack of social awareness and weird interests.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   
You know what makes people look creepy on ATS? Creepy avatars.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   
It makes them open up a lot more, and gather an amazing level of information in a couple of minutes, how is that creepy? Now, if you consider the troll behavior as 'creepy' I agree with you.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaceGoatFart

I don't see how any of these things can be considered creepy. It's like the word "creepy" has a completely different definition in your mind.

People who are creepy online tend to be creepy in real life too it has nothing to do with the internet, and everything with their lack of social awareness and weird interests.

A thread of mine was said to be "creepy" on this forum due to #7 above. If you want to see the proof (it was posted in a thread as clear as day), send me a PM.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

A thread of mine was said to be "creepy" on this forum due to #7 above. If you want to see the proof (it was posted in a thread as clear as day), send me a PM.

Everything is creepy to paranoid conspiracy theorists and this ATS soooooo....

Seriously, one example doesn't a rule make

All the examples you posted, when I encounter them I think it makes the poster look, I don't know, confused? Stupid? Intoxicated?

But not creepy. IMHO if someone thinks something confusing is automatically creepy, then he probably has some serious fear and anxiety issues
edit on 1-9-2016 by SpaceGoatFart because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Everything is creepy to paranoid conspiracy theorists and this ATS soooooo....

Seriously, one example doesn't a rule make

That is true. But, if you review the original post, you'll see that was a point I was trying to make myself.

If anything can be creepy then the word has no meaning. And, that doesn't only apply to conspiracy theorists.

The YouTuber in the video below gives a very detailed explanation of what "creepy guys" are from a woman's point of view. Quoting from the video:

Ultimately, I realized that being "creepy" has more to do with women's emotional reactions to men than anything wrong about his character. Guys get called creepy not because of the merit of their character on any objective level. The reason a man is typically called a creep is because certain women find him unattractive while the supposed creep finds those women attractive.

She goes on to explain that she believes the word "creepy" is misandric in nature (in terms of how most women use the term to refer to men). The most incredible insight she has, in my opinion, is the fact that a lot of times what's labeled "creepy" when a woman doesn't like a guy is "romantic" when a woman does like a guy.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

The most incredible insight she has, in my opinion, is the fact that a lot of times what's labeled "creepy" when a woman doesn't like a guy is "romantic" when a woman does like a guy.

This is basically what I posted earlier, creepiness is more linked to social awareness, the feeling of repulsion, not confused posting.

If anything can be creepy then the word has no meaning

It's subjective. Everything is creepy to paranoids, not to everyone. The word still has meaning.
edit on 1-9-2016 by SpaceGoatFart because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

women can be creepy too

you roll over one morning to see her staring at you
go to your fridge and find her organic stuff in it
open your wardrobe and shes hung all her clothes up
look at your phone and the background has changed
too a selfie of her hugging you while your asleep

talked to your mum recently ?
she already has and is having lunch with her this afternoon

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   

She goes on to explain that she believes the word "creepy" is misandric in nature

Just like labeling women "sluts" is misogyny. This has nothing to do with what you posted in the OP.

Let's stay focused here please

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: kibric

Thats good marriage material right there!

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto
a reply to: kibric

Thats good marriage material right there!

Yeah until your friends get stalked on facebook and she start pouring you alcohol down the sink....

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Creepy, here? Creepy are Satanic shills in their mid 70s who do nothing but post b.s. to forums all day long, every day for years and years and who are bored out of their minds - but able to troll innocent users to sites like these and corner them and # with them for kicks.

What's even more creepy? That these Satanic shills, mostly super old, basically have hundreds of fake accounts and mostly talk to themselves all day - because most of these old forums are not frequented all that often.

75% of the posts here now are actually shills. Same with GLP. Including the OP.

THAT is creepy...

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Thats more silence of the lambs kind of material, no bueno...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join