It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical Marijuana Card Holders Lost Their 2nd Amendment Rights Today

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Thanks for the heads up! I rarely get to the left coast and hadn't heard about this case yet.

Well, now it comes clear why the decision not to reschedule marijuana.

I couldn't find any mainstream outlet with any more info than the AP-originated piece linked to abc news in your OP.

Here's an article from consumerist.com with some more info, including a pdf of the actual ruling.

consumerist.com article

Apparently, the lady didn't disclose on her ATF gun purchase application her status as a medical marijuana card holder, (as she states she isn't actively under treatment with cannabis... she only has the card) and the gun shop owner refused to sell to her anyway, as he knew her personally and new she had recently received the card. Recent ATF guidance says gun retailers should assume card holders are active users.

I think it's interesting that while the de facto outcome of the case is that the plaintiff ( and others who have a medical marijuana card) can't currently buy a new gun, the courts have not explicitly ruled to that effect. Nor have they made any rule prohibiting ownership of guns bought before the card was issued.

The district court she filed with in Nevada dismissed her suit because, as someone who has not used her card to obtain marijuana, she has no legal standing to challenge the portion of the law that bars users from obtaining a gun.

All the circuit did was to uphold the legality of the district to dismiss the case.

Interesting times.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

So now we are seeing why Obama and the DEA decided not to reschedule weed. The agenda is pretty clear.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Hunting and pot don't mix. Doe's can grow horns when deer hunting when you are high. But you think it is too pretty to shoot, so I don't see a problem with it.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
After medicating, the sound of a gun is so harsh BUT if I was drunk I probably would want to raise hell. Do with that what You like. Sad that after 7 years of a supposedly "liberal" president that bragged about inhaling and administration, cannabis is still mainly illegal in the U.S. They cant even reschedule it, that was one do nothing president and Hillary doesn't want to reschedule, she only said she might to keep Bernie fans from booing her.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I had to learn rules and pass a driving test in order to operate a car in order to get a drivers license when I was 16 and there was no drug test involved with that. In addition, I'm pretty sure MM folks are allowed to purchase and operate multi-thousand-pound potential weapons of destruction.

I see a gaping lack of logic here.
edit on 8.31.2016 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

YOU don't smoke at the time any way, maybe later after it if you use.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
All the while;

SAN FRANCISCO — Patients, growers and clinics in some of the 14 states that allow medical marijuana are falling victim to robberies, home invasions, shootings and even murders at the hands of pot thieves.

Source

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Not to go Off topic, but the herbal industry got hit hard yesterday when the DEA announced that as of Sept 30, 2016, Kratom will be temporarily placed as a Schedule I drug of the Controlled Substance Act. Right up there with MJ and Herowyn. Kratom has been used to get off most o pioid drugs like Ox y, Morph, etc and to lessen the symptoms of withdrawals. DEA Kratom

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Their obvious agenda might work because if its my gun or my weed,,,, well I have pawned my gun to buy a bag.

And I know alot of people who would feel the same way.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
"But Obama, Hillary and the democrats are not going to take away citizens 2nd Ammendment rights! You are just being paranoid!"

Trump just took hundreds of thousands of libertarian and independent votes away from Johnson, now that they see what is truly at stake if Hillary is elected.

Anybody but Hillary!

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
At least there is any easy way to dodge the draft if it ever happens again.

Sorry recruiter, I smoke marijuana regularly and the government has deemed me unable to operate a firearm.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
All the while;

SAN FRANCISCO — Patients, growers and clinics in some of the 14 states that allow medical marijuana are falling victim to robberies, home invasions, shootings and even murders at the hands of pot thieves.

Source

Pharmacies and people with legal oxis and every average joe with money or a car or an email account fall victim to crime all the time.

WTF is your point?

ETA. sry maybe read your post all wrong.
edit on 1-9-2016 by imsoconfused because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
At least there is any easy way to dodge the draft if it ever happens again.

Sorry recruiter, I smoke marijuana regularly and the government has deemed me unable to operate a firearm.

Yeah that will be the only exception......

On topic....perhaps adopting the Philippines stance should clear up the drug problem, and would likely increase gun sales....its a win win for gun manufacturers, big pharma and funeral homes.....

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: imsoconfused

originally posted by: dreamingawake
All the while;

Source

Pharmacies and people with legal oxis and every average joe with money or a car or an email account fall victim to crime all the time.

WTF is your point?

ETA. sry maybe read your post all wrong.

Seriously?

Yes you did read it all wrong. Go back and find the reason for this thread.

edit on 1-9-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: BestinShow

I'd prefer a heroin addict as a lawful gun owner over an alcoholic gun owner. This is coming from a guy that puts down Scotch like it's h(4)2o...

You must not know very many heroin addicts. That's a good thing.

Heroin addicts don't have any guns because any they did have got sold a long time ago. Heroin dealers have a lot of guns, but addicts trade or sell them for heroin guaranteed.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   
God this is so stupid.

Medical marijuana users are among the least dangerous people in the population.

Where are these people getting their information, "reefer madness?"

How stupid do they think we are? This is just outrageous.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
More of their in-your-face authority. More proof that there are people in government who believe with all their hearts that the government owns the bodies of citizens. They believe that they are righteous when they direct what we can consume. Our Creator gives us free will. What kind of human attempts to take that from humanity?

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   
This is a bipartisan issue. Both the right and left at the head of our government at fault. One side, for their agenda against guns, and the others agenda against cannabis. Neither side gives a crap about freedom, justice and liberty.
edit on 1-9-2016 by MrThortan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   

So lets all run right out get those cards and obey the laws.
So we can all get screwed for it like always.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Yes here it starts,just gave people a reason for unlicensed guns,which is probably best anyway,when they come ,I have no use for these criminals in office,they have their own interest in mind to seize weapons they will have a list with serial numbers

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join