It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical Marijuana Card Holders Lost Their 2nd Amendment Rights Today

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Ah yes, without being convicted of a crime, you now can lose your 2nd Amendment rights. What should scare everyone is the precedent. What prevents the same being applied to prescription drugs?

Of course they bring up the "No Fly" list which 2nd Amendment supporters are mostly against because there is no process to quickly remove yourself from it let alone how and who can put you on it.

Not that I am a big fan of medical marijuana but if I get cancer, I sure as hell am going to try it before chemo and radiation. Victory for the Gun Control crowd today.

abcnews.go.com...

US Court Upholds Ban on Gun Sales to Marijuana Card Holders
By sudhin thanawala, associated press
SAN FRANCISCO — Aug 31, 2016, 8:34 PM ET

A federal ban on the sale of guns to medical marijuana card holders does not violate the Second Amendment, a federal appeals court said Wednesday.

The ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals applies to the nine Western states that fall under the court's jurisdiction, including California, Washington and Oregon.

"We live in a world where having a medical marijuana card is enough to say you don't get a gun, but if you're on the no fly list your constitutional right is still protected," he said.

The 9th Circuit also rejected other constitutional challenges to the ban that were raised by Wilson, including her argument that her gun rights were being stripped without due process.

edit on 31-8-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

+52 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
"what prevents the same from happening with prescription drugs?"
You just laid out the next step in their strip your freedoms agenda.
Anyone on antidepressants or Schedule 2 pain meds will be next.

+50 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Yes, because being allowed to pound a grip of alcohol and be a gun owner makes perfect sense.

Dumb asses.

I'd prefer a heroin addict as a lawful gun owner over an alcoholic gun owner. This is coming from a guy that puts down Scotch like it's h(4)2o...

+21 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.

So sad to watch us fall so hard, so quickly.

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

score 1 for the black market!!!!!

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Well in a place like CA where it very well could be legalized in a few months, you then wouldn't have to disclose whether or not you're a marijuana user.

They might ask but you can lie. You wouldn't be in a database as you would if you're a medical marijuana user.

Why would this even apply in a state like Oregon? It's legal there. You don't need a medical card.

BTW, there's a loophole. Can't buy guns when a medical marijuana patient but can own guns as a medical marijuana patient. You only forfeit your right to buy new ones. So, stalk up on medicine right before you card expires which happens every year and in the period before renewing it, go buy some guns. Then renew. You've broken no laws if you follow that route.
edit on 31-8-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The only awnser I can think of, that it explains this absurdity, is that "big pharma" is behind it all. A legalized marijuana is not a controllable substance like pain killers, anti-depressants, ect..

What else could explain the absurd stances against marijuana?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Next is prescription drugs that are used to control depression, anxiety, or any medication that is used for psychosis. Many psychosis medicines are also used for epilepsy. So anyone who has a seizure disorder can also lose their right to buy a gun. That takes care of half the population I suppose. It's a good start. Next they will say anyone who is on Statin meds will lose their rights to buy guns also because Statins dumb most people down and anyone who is under the influence will not be able to buy a gun. Or bullets.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

I'd prefer a heroin addict as a lawful gun owner over an alcoholic gun owner. This is coming from a guy that puts down Scotch like it's h(4)2o...

You must not know very many heroin addicts. That's a good thing.

edit on 8/31/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I feel disgustingly vindicated when I echo, again, Death, by a thousand cuts folks, the interpretation of the Constitution is at the mercy of those entrusted to protect it.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Stoners are the least of their worries. Especially people using MM for pain, epilepsy and cancer.

Guess stopping all the drinkers from buying guns was looking like too tough a fight.

Wonder at what point the backlash/blowback shows up? Feels like we're real near that point now.

Especially if Trump loses, and he's going to.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

marijuana and other drug use "raises the risk of irrational or unpredictable behavior with which gun use should not be associated."

Are they even serious? So it's fine if someone is an alcoholic, they can buy guns... It's fine if someone is a drug fiend from being prescribed opiates, they can buy guns too... But someone who has a medical marijuana card can't, because they might be irrational or unpredictable. Yeah, that makes loads of sense.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
Ah yes, without being convicted of a crime, you now can lose your 2nd Amendment rights. What should scare everyone is the precedent. What prevents the same being applied to prescription drugs?

..that literally is what just happened...MM is a prescription drug...

link   
Another ZINGER from the left coast...took 'em long enough.
ANYONE who had any brain should have KNOWN not to admit any contact or they would be popped.
Paranoid my butt.

link   
Does anybody else find the timing for these regulatory decisions to be highly suspect?

It's like they try to slip these things in there at the very end of Obama's term in the height of an election year so that nobody really has to answer to it. Obama certainly isn't addressing it.

Mayhaps we will get lucky and a moderator at one of the debates will bring this issue up. I won't hold my breath, though.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
The only awnser I can think of, that it explains this absurdity, is that "big pharma" is behind it all. A legalized marijuana is not a controllable substance like pain killers, anti-depressants, ect..

What else could explain the absurd stances against marijuana?

That's the entire issue right there. Marijuana takes huge profits away from the drug cartels, ahem, companies. It's cheaper to throw money at keeping it illegal and bullying medical patients than it is to give up all the money from the decline in prescriptions and treatments.
edit on 8/31/2016 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

There are LEGISLATORS who are STUPID enough top believe POT users are too impaired and dangerous.
THAT'S what happens when you re-elect people like the guy who thinks GUAM might tip over from too many people and equipment from the marines, AS IN physically TIP.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Marijuana should be legal, in fact, all drugs should be legal and help given to addicts to end the war on drugs. The fact is marijuana is listed as a schedule 1 drug according to the federal gov't, which is insane. According to the feds, marijuana has no medical use but, meanwhile, in Washington DC, medical marijuana is a thing. There was even news that the DEA MIGHT make it schedule 2, you know, right up there with actual hard drugs. But they decided it should remain schedule 1.

So that all said, it's no surprise the gov't, namely the ATF and Congress, won't allow guns to card holders because to them they are criminals. But more disturbingly, gov't thinks if they do this people won't get high, drunk, or god knows what else, and use a gun to commit violence. Make all the laws you want, it won't stop humanity from being itself.

Without reading any posts in this thread, I wonder how many have already blamed Obama and Hillary for this while disregarding the history of the war on drugs.
edit on 31-8-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Here in Michigan we can't have both. Concealed carry? Medical Marijuana? We have to choose. One or the other.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Now I am not a gun owner, but if I was, I think I would prefer to go the route of obtaining my firearm legally and then I would get my marijuana illegally.

I think if I tried it the other way around I would be risking more penalty. You know, getting weed legally and getting my firearm illegally?

The fact remains that if people want guns and weed they can get them easily. Legally or illegally.

edit on 8/31/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join