It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lying Russians

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
While everyone rages about things they don't understand (like email servers) and leaked emails do their dirty work, the real story goes under-discussed and underreported, which is, the Russian involvement with all of this. They are not just great hackers and geopolitical manipulators of leaked information, though (I suggest) that is the real story to discuss. Forget the CIA, the US Military and the "USNAVY" with their psyops and such for the moment.

The Ruskies are masters -- relentless conquerors -- in the realm of propaganda. We should be afraid, very afraid, of their reality distortion cyber-field...but I digress. This is not Disinfo.com. This is "real" political news, since it's in the Times:

A Powerful Russian Weapon: The Spread of False Stories
edit on 29-8-2016 by Namdru because: "Preview" option not working on FF 47/Canonical version 1.0, while composing original post

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

The Ruskies are masters -- relentless conquerors -- in the realm of propaganda.

And so is the US.

Your headline could just as easily read:

A Powerful American Weapon: The Spread of False Stories.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The thing is with the Russians though. You either believed Pravda or you didn't. We/us in the West dont know who to believe anymore because every single main stream media outlet lies to you. The Russians at least have the decency to limit the bull# to one taboid.....or at least they did.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

The Ruskies are masters -- relentless conquerors -- in the realm of propaganda.

And so is the US.

That is 100% truth IMO. Who are you going to believe in any story... I would rather hear both sides and then make up my own mind..

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Yes so true . It was MSNBC that put the story out that Turkeys president was fleeing to Germany while the coup was happening . The reporter said it was a secret Pentagon source . Totally false story and a made in America one .

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru
Most talk is - yes a goblin with a balloon thinking he's flying, yet serious weaponry researches would point that exactly Russia can decompose USA military on its own soil and the surroundings in minutes. That's why NATO is in panic, explained by its expansion of anti missile defense in north-east EU. Look at the real warhead numbers and delivery potential, you'll get the picture.
All the best,

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The Russians and Americans are one and the same. Not the people - the leaders.

Wrestlemania - They both play their part.

Both Putin and Obama will obediently sacrifice their own if their Masters call for WW3 - to reset the failing monetary system.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Russia has been warning us for years about our lying, corrupt and war mongering leadership.

Russia's leader even sent us a message, on september 11.. and we all just ignored it.

I hate to tell you, but we ''the west'' are the evil side in this little piece of History.

Alqaeada > Afghanistan > Iraq > Al Zarqawi > ISIS > Libya > Syria > Lebanon > Ukraine........

www.nytimes.com...

MOSCOW — RECENT events surrounding Syria have prompted me to speak directly to the American people and their political leaders. It is important to do so at a time of insufficient communication between our societies.

Relations between us have passed through different stages. We stood against each other during the cold war. But we were also allies once, and defeated the Nazis together. The universal international organization — the United Nations — was then established to prevent such devastation from ever happening again.

The United Nations’ founders understood that decisions affecting war and peace should happen only by consensus, and with America’s consent the veto by Security Council permanent members was enshrined in the United Nations Charter. The profound wisdom of this has underpinned the stability of international relations for decades.

No one wants the United Nations to suffer the fate of the League of Nations, which collapsed because it lacked real leverage. This is possible if influential countries bypass the United Nations and take military action without Security Council authorization.

The potential strike by the United States against Syria, despite strong opposition from many countries and major political and religious leaders, including the pope, will result in more innocent victims and escalation, potentially spreading the conflict far beyond Syria’s borders. A strike would increase violence and unleash a new wave of terrorism. It could undermine multilateral efforts to resolve the Iranian nuclear problem and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and further destabilize the Middle East and North Africa. It could throw the entire system of international law and order out of balance.

Syria is not witnessing a battle for democracy, but an armed conflict between government and opposition in a multireligious country. There are few champions of democracy in Syria. But there are more than enough Qaeda fighters and extremists of all stripes battling the government. The United States State Department has designated Al Nusra Front and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, fighting with the opposition, as terrorist organizations. This internal conflict, fueled by foreign weapons supplied to the opposition, is one of the bloodiest in the world.

Mercenaries from Arab countries fighting there, and hundreds of militants from Western countries and even Russia, are an issue of our deep concern. Might they not return to our countries with experience acquired in Syria? After all, after fighting in Libya, extremists moved on to Mali. This threatens us all.

From the outset, Russia has advocated peaceful dialogue enabling Syrians to develop a compromise plan for their own future. We are not protecting the Syrian government, but international law. We need to use the United Nations Security Council and believe that preserving law and order in today’s complex and turbulent world is one of the few ways to keep international relations from sliding into chaos. The law is still the law, and we must follow it whether we like it or not. Under current international law, force is permitted only in self-defense or by the decision of the Security Council. Anything else is unacceptable under the United Nations Charter and would constitute an act of aggression.

No one doubts that poison gas was used in Syria. But there is every reason to believe it was used not by the Syrian Army, but by opposition forces, to provoke intervention by their powerful foreign patrons, who would be siding with the fundamentalists. Reports that militants are preparing another attack — this time against Israel — cannot be ignored.

It is alarming that military intervention in internal conflicts in foreign countries has become commonplace for the United States. Is it in America’s long-term interest? I doubt it. Millions around the world increasingly see America not as a model of democracy but as relying solely on brute force, cobbling coalitions together under the slogan “you’re either with us or against us.”

But force has proved ineffective and pointless. Afghanistan is reeling, and no one can say what will happen after international forces withdraw. Libya is divided into tribes and clans. In Iraq the civil war continues, with dozens killed each day. In the United States, many draw an analogy between Iraq and Syria, and ask why their government would want to repeat recent mistakes.

No matter how targeted the strikes or how sophisticated the weapons, civilian casualties are inevitable, including the elderly and children, whom the strikes are meant to protect.

The world reacts by asking: if you cannot count on international law, then you must find other ways to ensure your security. Thus a growing number of countries seek to acquire weapons of mass destruction. This is logical: if you have the bomb, no one will touch you. We are left with talk of the need to strengthen nonproliferation, when in reality this is being eroded.

We must stop using the language of force and return to the path of civilized diplomatic and political settlement.

A new opportunity to avoid military action has emerged in the past few days. The United States, Russia and all members of the international community must take advantage of the Syrian government’s willingness to place its chemical arsenal under international control for subsequent destruction. Judging by the statements of President Obama, the United States sees this as an alternative to military action.

I welcome the president’s interest in continuing the dialogue with Russia on Syria. We must work together to keep this hope alive, as we agreed to at the Group of 8 meeting in Lough Erne in Northern Ireland in June, and steer the discussion back toward negotiations.

If we can avoid force against Syria, this will improve the atmosphere in international affairs and strengthen mutual trust. It will be our shared success and open the door to cooperation on other critical issues.

My working and personal relationship with President Obama is marked by growing trust. I appreciate this. I carefully studied his address to the nation on Tuesday. And I would rather disagree with a case he made on American exceptionalism, stating that the United States’ policy is “what makes America different. It’s what makes us exceptional.” It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation. There are big countries and small countries, rich and poor, those with long democratic traditions and those still finding their way to democracy. Their policies differ, too. We are all different, but when we ask for the Lord’s blessings, we must not forget that God created us equal.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

...the real story goes under-discussed and underreported, which is, the Russian involvement with all of this.

Involvement in all what? Exposing the lies?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I wouldn't fear the Russian's, as they don't have 300+ bases around the world. They just don't want people right next to them planning a takeover. I used to attack Putin apologists, but listen to him actually talk, he seems like the only political personality that makes sense, or talks based in reality.

My turning point was seeing how bad the lies about Pussy Riot were. Obvious smear.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

every hacker I have heard/read all laugh when people blame the Russian Government for the hacks.

yeah, a good portion of hackers use Russian software, but that would be like blaming the American government if the hackers were using an apple computer.

The Russian Government is just the shinny keys the elite are using on some of the American populous.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
So just since hillarys email leaks the russians are the bad guys again? Really??

No need to pay attention to the Ukraine event; Obama did what exactly in response? And now russia is bad?

BS

Go correct other records.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

True enough. No military-pharmaco-aerospace-industrial complex can afford to be without its propaganda department. Watch this if you haven't already, to get the Madison Avenue back story behind it all:

Century of the Self

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Look up the term "soft power" under Google News. You will see tons of articles with countries openly saying the amount of resources they'll put in to projecting their influence (sometimes propaganda). Both Russia and the US showing the most IMHO. Wounder if that had anything to do with the German scientists we both got Haha (kind of kidding)

The important part is always to diversify your sources, keep and open but logical mind, think critically and you'll be OK. We are responsible for out own minds.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
So just since hillarys email leaks the russians are the bad guys again? Really??

No need to pay attention to the Ukraine event; Obama did what exactly in response? And now russia is bad?

BS

Go correct other records.

I don't blame the Russians. They are just doing their job -- destabilizing a superpower that poses certain threats to their own agenda. I have no idea who is right or wrong. But I do live in the U.S. and the stability of our country concerns me, is all. Corruption is a fact -- I'm beyond outraged at this point.

While so many people rejoice at the prospect of toppling (or at least weakening) a corrupt American regime, they totally forget what the consequences of regime change are. Well I haven't forgotten Iraq, have you? I don't rejoice in the destabilization of my country's political process, because I live here. And the biggest problem we have at home is not a lack of impeccable politicians. Peccable is fine , as long as she is competent in other areas, like diplomacy, foreign policy and the legislative process. The biggest problem we have, politically and socially, is a dismal lack of education relative to affluence which makes most Americans easily distracted and propagandized by entertainments, and likewise ignorant of how technology is used against them. The real enemy is ignorance -- let's not deny it, for a change.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Well if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black...amazing Russia discusses the US as being corrupt when they have a president worth at least 50 billion dollars.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yep while creating more to make themselves look like victims...such as they did with Georgia, Ukraine, and the greatest lie of all...Chechnya.

Guess killing your own is okay as long as you say the US is bad.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Georgia, Ukraine, and the greatest lie of all...Chechnya.

Thanks I already know the white washed truth, I mean lies in the western main scream.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Russian hackers do anything if they get payed, the question is who paid them for it and has the money for it?

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Just to point out that the Russian media operates under very difficult conditions. Most of the English language Russian media is directly government operated and therefore extensions of foreign policy.

On the other hand, maistream US media is controlled by corporations who pander to a particular audience and world view. That's a different type of propaganda as it's reporting to a worldview rather than being manipulated by government policy. Outside of MSM Western media is amazingly rich and diverse, and journalists are not hindered and legally constrained.

Media is safter and freer in the West and people can pick and choose. If people really think Russian media provides anything other than a clever layer of manipuation then they are fooling yourselves and are being (er) manipulated.

Reporters without Borders - Russia

What with draconian laws and website blocking, the pressure on independent media has grown steadily since Vladimir Putin’s return to the Kremlin in 2012. Leading independent news outlets have either been brought under control or throttled out of existence. While TV channels continue to inundate viewers with propaganda, the climate has become very oppressive for those who question the new patriotic and neo-conservative discourse or just try to maintain quality journalism...

edit on 30/8/2016 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join