It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They’re not saying it’s aliens, but signal traced to sunlike star sparks SETI interest

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: Annee

That would be cool.

We have or are close to the ability to put memories/knowledge in an ape brain. They have enough brain capacity to be more similar to us. Even spoken language. They lack the knowledge and pyschological evolution (which enters the dna)

We dont do it because of ethics and unintended consequences. That and Charlton Heston showed us the danger.

Maybe Aliens consider contact like that.

Maybe.

I also look at our different approaches to "lost tribes" in the Amazon.

Observe without contact, observe with contact, live among them without interference, offer them medical supplies, etc etc.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

True. They made some massive mistakes on the way though. Like giving people flashlights which allowed them to sneak up and massacre an opposing tribe at night. The unintended consequence of giving people technology and knowledge they arent ready for.

Imagine how bad the anthro team felt when it hapoened.

edit on 2-9-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
The unintended consequence of giving people technology and knowledge they arent ready for.

YES!

And isolated tribes don't realize they're missing anything - - UNTIL they are shown what others have.

Then the "need and greed" starts.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

We have to save them. They dont even have toilets....they are so poor. Make them consumers. What about the children?

Accept they dont have to pee in a cup to get a job, and go to jail for not paying taxes.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: mahatche
If an intelligent species evolved on a planet with few predatory threats it may be less prone to aggression.

But without aggression, where is the drive to create and explore come from? Would you even WANT to encounter an intelligent species that you don't understand?

edit on 2-9-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Curiosity = Aggression?

eek
edit on 9/3/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

luthier
Just wondering if you can explain how tachyons would translate and intepret radio waves thoughout the universe.

I was hoping you could.... : (

My guess, ET could capture RF energy through exotic matter....

Maybe with a tachyon transceiver (Black Knight satellite? ) it could be with literally anything, Alcubierre warp drive device, a traversable wormhole analyzer etc.... or some type of exotic matter encoder & decoder.....

a police box?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I think alot of us forget that the ancient cultures had an ingrained fascination with GOLD, Silver, Copper... Why? Because we were enslaved and modified to acquire it. Why doesnt anyone ask how did these ancient maya or egyptians or peruvians amassed so much? Why is there a mine in lake superior that accounts for all of the copper of the copper age and then some... These people were the workers for the annunaki or others who came here to acquire these metals which are the best conductors of electricity /energy.

Some of these tribes perhaps fled from being enslaved thus had no need for the value of it monetarily.
Perhaps we arent greedy but programmed to acquire these metals, as we were all on the Gold Standard until the Vietnam war. It has only recently been a short period of years that we havent been forced to have the Gold to back up our money.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I guess Seth Shostak and Jill Tarter are looking for more funding. Where's Paul Allen when you need him?

posted on Sep, 8 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ThingsThatDontMakeSense

He already funded the Allen array lol.. The significance of finding extraterrestrial life should place those projects on a global level with all countries participating / funding.

posted on Sep, 23 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
What makes you think any intelligent species that would even be interested in us would be any "better" than we are in that regard?

My opinion on it was always that if there are other "human-like" species in the universe they would have probably destroyed themselves long before they harnessed the technology for interstellar travel.

The ability to invent something doesn't preclude the proclivity to use it to destroy things. I have really never quite understood the human desire to find others like us. Since the only thing we do that makes us out of the ordinary is that we're unbelievably destructive compared to most everything else on earth.

The best thing we could hope for is finding another planet that we can use and hoping there isn't anything as bad as humans already there.

It depends on the level of intelligence.

Using the Kardashev scale, if a Type III or greater intelligence contacted us, it's not an impossibility to think they've transcended the tribalism that humans are still adherent to on an evolutionary scale. A type III possesses the intelligence to harness an entire galaxy's power for their own use. Humans (Earth humans) are not even considered a Type I civilization yet using that scale.

If the intelligence was closer to us in anthropological/sociological respects, but have developed the ability of interstellar travel to get here in the first place, it's more likely they could be hostile because clearly they'd be coming here for a specific reason and Earth could be a target for its abundant resources or just for the planet itself.

Obviously, any level of intelligence could be a threat, but that's besides the point.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join