It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sorry but lol at the cloudy water at the olympic pool

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   
General theory on it is that the ink from the banners around the pool is what is causing it (At least that is what I have heard). However I have just read that they are draining it as we speak in a last ditch attempt to get it back to normal colour.

The ironic thing is that some of the divers have come out and said it is actually BETTER for driving than the usual clean, crisp clear water.

Green is better!

Also, anyone who listens to Talk Sport over here in the UK may have heard an interview with a man who is on the board for pool water cleanliness (I honestly cannot remember the guys name nor find the clip, but these people essentially make sure pool water is safe around the UK :S) and he said he would not jump in the pool, and that it may also be the copper eroding from the pipework.

That or aliens did it...

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: brace22

Yep, looks like they are draining and refilling it....1 million gallons wow. Watch it turn green again within a day or two

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
i am a pool professional for over a decade.that is an algae bloom.

edit on 14-8-2016 by CaDreamer because: added pic

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: 123143

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Falenor

As well algae doesn't bloom that fast overnight in a pool that size, if it somehow did that means there was zero chlorine in that water...making it unsafe to swim in.

Announcer did say in the video they 'ran out of certain pool chemicals'.

Green is the color of algae. We're so picky, we want our water to be so clear. Hasn't anyone swam in a pond before?

You're not supposed to swim in a pond at the Olympics. This is pure incompetence on the part of the Brazilians.

I'm going go paint my white picket fence and manicure my lawn.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: Falenor

i said what happened. i dont know why or how much but they put some kind of peroxide in the water and that messed up the chlorine. then algae started to grow

Ah yes, this ATS. never ever ever believe a story in the news....unless it corroborates what you are trying say eh? Then it's gospel.

Not saying you are wrong by the way
edit on 14-8-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

My sister was a lifeguard for a good few years through high school and a bit beyond. From what her experience tells her, it looks like someone added too much of something to the pool and that created some kind of chemical reaction, and they aren't exactly sure what.

They say it's been tested by multiple teams' crews (including the US) and declared safe though, so the events continue. It just looks really bad.

From my years with aquariums, it looks like an algae bloom.
edit on 14-8-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: TinySickTears

My sister was a lifeguard for a good few years through high school and a bit beyond. From what her experience tells her, it looks like someone added too much of something to the pool and that created some kind of chemical reaction, and they aren't exactly sure what.

They say it's been tested by multiple teams' crews (including the US) and declared safe though, so the events continue. It just looks really bad.

From my years with aquariums, it looks like an algae bloom.

well i guess they should turn all the lights off and in a week no more bloom.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Well they have changed the story or switched excuses a couple times now hehe.

The first one was they they ran out of some "chemical" which affected the P.H, they don't name the chemical of course. Anyways this change in P.H cause the discoloration according to them...here's the FINA link statement... FINA Statement

I thought that excuse had merit because it is possible to turn a pool green(as mentioned copper etc), but I can concede there are see some holes in that theory now. The pool usually doesn't stay green that long, nor does it turn the really dark green that I can see in some of the later pics. You usually end up with an emerald crystal clear pool, but it looked like things got much more green and worse at this pool.

The second excuse was that some contractor dumped Hydrogen Peroxide in without them knowing and either it reacted with the chlorine in the pool to turn it green, or as per other statements it made the chlorine ineffective and algae bloomed. Here's a link Aglae Bloom

This seems more plausible now except it seems like an easy out for the people operating this pool....yea....it was some contractors fault ! I don't but the excuse either that water sample controllers were fooled as well, they should be doing manual water sample tests, and even have staff there overnight just in case....it's the fricking Olympics ! The other statement that the water was fine seems odd as well, if the chlorine was ineffective then that's not really considered a safe pool. The one statement by their rep really made me laugh..."Chemistry is not an exact science" is what he said as another excuse...hehe.

Anyways...I like the mystery of it, trying to figure out what went wrong. Looking at the water today with women's Dive Championship it still looks like they are having issues. That is some cloudy murky water there still, still can't use dive cams as it looks like the visibility under water is less than a couple feet, and you can barely see the bottom of the pool on the overhead dive cam. I also noticed that the divers showered off after diving, not sure if this is normal as I've never watched diving before.....hmmmm.....maybe this whole turning the pool green was just a gimmick to hook people into watching ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join