It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sorry but lol at the cloudy water at the olympic pool

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
watching ladies diving right now. the water has kind of a nyquil hue to it..
hilarious. very cloudy and has a green/gray thing happening.

so apparently a gang of perocixde was put in which did something to the chlorine so what we get is then divers diving into tussin.

hahahahahahahahahah

there have been some serious performances so far this year though

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

My wife and I are watching too.

NOT a good look.

I miss the underwater cameras, to murky for them I guess.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

My wife and I are watching too.

NOT a good look.

I miss the underwater cameras, to murky for them I guess.

yeah. once they hit he water theyre like nessie. cant see them

its like liquid cough drops

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Any links? ive heard about this but haven't seen it yet.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ColaTesla

Green Olympic Diving Well

Apparently the adjoining pool has started to turn a bit green as well now.
edit on 13-8-2016 by Falenor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColaTesla
Any links? ive heard about this but haven't seen it yet.

yeah,
turn on the tv

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Did a little of the rio sewer water get in the pool? Lol

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I could be wrong...but I'm guessing they probably let their Alkalinity or P.H get way too low and then overcompensated to raise those levels too quickly. Some of the excuses I've heard is that ran out of a certain chemical, probably sodium bicarbonate, which is used to raise Alkalinity.

Anyways, a large change in P.H or Alkalinity can knock metals and minerals out of suspension in the water(chemists please don't beat up on me if my terminology/wording is wrong).....the green look is mostly due to copper I would guess. Only issue is that it really should have cleared up by now, that diving well has been like that since Tuesday.

Chemically it's not a health issue if it's just copper(might turn treated blonde hair green), but if one of those divers messed up and took a "header" off the board it would be pretty hard for emergency staff to find them in that soup quickly enough. Pretty sad state of affairs there really.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Falenor

i said what happened. i dont know why or how much but they put some kind of peroxide in the water and that messed up the chlorine. then algae started to grow

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

There's been a lot of speculation with different theories depending on which sites once visits. The video I linked above has the rep stating the alkalinity was an issue.

Anyways, they probably thought it was an algae issue at first, added peroxide, and thus made the problem worse. Peroxide won't mess up the chlorine in the water, it's a fast acting but short lived oxidizer used to get rid of algae. It will swing the P.H up though, and as I mentioned above that can knock copper of out suspension. As well algae doesn't bloom that fast overnight in a pool that size, if it somehow did that means there was zero chlorine in that water...making it unsafe to swim in.

Either way these guys there seem to have no clue to what they are doing, it will be interesting to see how long it lasts and what the conclusions are in the end.
edit on 13-8-2016 by Falenor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I've earned money as a pool boy. I know how to fix an algae bloom.
You will not be able to use the pool for 2 or 3 days.
It's just a little green algae.
They sell it in pills at health-food stores.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This is what happens when you hold the Olympics in a Third World country.

Seriously, what the hell did people expect? The Brazilians throw tons of garbage and dead bodies into their water. Crime and Zika are rampant.

The IOC was warned. No one wanted to hear it.

It's 2016 and logic is dead, discarded in favour of political correctness.

They got what they asked for. Too funny.

Athletes that took a pass have my respect. They used common sense.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Yea I find it pretty crazy. It isn't hard to make a pool nice and clear I used to maintain a public pool .I don't know what the heck is going on there. Their filters must be totally screwed. They must not be using algaecide. They should just shock the pool at night to burn all that crap out and put in some sodium thiosulfate to take the chlorine back down to safe levels. Should clear it up. I don't know the the source water but damn that some crazy water for a pool.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Yea I find it pretty crazy. It isn't hard to make a pool nice and clear I used to maintain a public pool .I don't know what the heck is going on there. Their filters must be totally screwed. They must not be using algaecide. They should just shock the pool at night to burn all that crap out and put in some sodium thiosulfate to take the chlorine back down to safe levels. Should clear it up. I don't know the the source water but damn that some crazy water for a pool.

I am appalled that those in charge think it is okay to let people compete in that slop. I think it shows a gross disregard for the athletes.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

As well algae doesn't bloom that fast overnight in a pool that size, if it somehow did that means there was zero chlorine in that water...making it unsafe to swim in.

Announcer did say in the video they 'ran out of certain pool chemicals'.

Green is the color of algae. We're so picky, we want our water to be so clear. Hasn't anyone swam in a pond before?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

As well algae doesn't bloom that fast overnight in a pool that size, if it somehow did that means there was zero chlorine in that water...making it unsafe to swim in.

Announcer did say in the video they 'ran out of certain pool chemicals'.

Green is the color of algae. We're so picky, we want our water to be so clear. Hasn't anyone swam in a pond before?

You're not supposed to swim in a pond at the Olympics. This is pure incompetence on the part of the Brazilians.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yessirr, they did say they ran out of a certain chemical, my guess was sodium bicarbonate(as mentioned above). Green is the colour of algae, it is also the colour of corroded copper. Just saying.... that pool does not look like it has an algae problem. If it was algae if would not be safe, that much organic matter would soak up all the chlorine and as per FINA rules it couldn't be opened for use.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Looked into this situation a bit more....Mythra Pools built a lot of the other pools for this event, they are distancing themselves from the Maria Lenk facility(the one with the green water issues). Here is the link to their site Mythra Pools

A futher link describes how they have nothing to do with the Maria Lenk facility...here it is Maria Lenk

They say that in regards to the Maria Lenk Pool... "the reason why is that the obsolete filtration, circulation and disinfection systems (with a manual chemicals dosage) of those old pools are not able to monitor and control the see-through water quality needed for international swimming competition."

Interesting.....

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Like I said, Third World. They had years to research, repair, and build. All those billions of dollars and they didn't think to check up on an old facility to make sure it was up to snuff?

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
They probably ran out of chlorine. Pools of that size could take up to a hundred gallons of chlorine per day (378 litres) being out in the sun like that. Multiply that by how many pools they have? And take into consideration the humidity.

Definitely a chlorine issue.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join