It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Polled At 65% Against Clinton - SHOCKING SOURCE

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
I don't know how much paper writing you've ever done, but I've done a lot. One of the hardest things to do when writing a paper isn't coming up with content, it's proof reading. You know what you're going to say, so when you read your paper you already know what you're trying to say.

Although I held no degree, one of my additional responsibilities as Customer Service Manager was to debug my employer/professor's source code. While he used several different programming languages, the primary was COBOL. I've never learned to program in C+ (or its descendants) because of a long story that isn't germane to this discussion. COBOL may very well be the most verbose of the languages at that time with the possible exception of PASCAL.

I seemed to have a talent for finding the little typos that neither he nor our Office Manager could spot. In programming the bugs that keep you up at night are usually because of typos that you are too close to the project to see rather than a problem in your logic.

In fact, I found the bug in his Utility Billing package that he marketed to around a dozen municipalities in my sleep, literally. I sat up in bed at about 4 in the morning and scared my wife when I exclaimed, "SOB!! I Got It!!!"

If you are asking the system to search for a particular customer number, when you find it, quit looking...

I don't know about that. I have 4 degrees and am working on my fifth, if you go back and check the post of mine you're responding to you'll see that I edited it, and it was precisely for this reason. I have no incentive to get it right the first time, instead I could say what I had to say and fix it later. Ironically, what I edited in was my opinion on why people get spelling wrong so often these days.

Agreed on the spelling. I have a hard time proofreading here for some reason. Spelling and dropped words are usually my two biggest reasons to go back and edit.

Btw, to keep a long story short... The reason I hold no degree is NOT because of failure. I left the company due to being ordered to cheat and let someone else do my assignments for finals because he couldn't "afford" to have me out of the office. I don't cheat. When the college changed the course requirements and he (he was also over the entire IT section) was rushing around to make sure everyone got taken care of, he told me, "out of the question!" So I lost 16 or 33 credit hours in the blink of an eye.

Undoubtedly, there will be some who think I was foolish even if they don't tell me that. I value my credibility more than I do a piece of paper, especially one based on a lie.

To stay on topic:

I'm not trying to cheer-lead either side. The claim that nearly all Trump supporters are uneducated just rubs me the wrong way. There are many kinds of education and not all give you a sheet of paper to wave around.

Considering I'm on topic...

I'll repeat something I've written about once before on ATS.

I've mellowed over the years. Back when our kids were still young I was more assertive and vocal than I am now. Part of it is maturity but part of it also because of living in a much more frail body. With not one good disc in my neck, a fight could easily leave me paralyzed.

We were at Marengo Cave (a nearly local attraction) on a muggy late summer afternoon. Because of the length of the various different tours and the occasional shortage of guides, they have an attractive sandstone patio where visitors can wait in shade for the next tour to start.

It was during the peak tourist season and there were 20 or so of us waiting. That included two young guys that were being intentionally, loudly obnoxious. They were deliberately talking of other attractions in Indiana they'd stopped at and ridiculing every Hoosier they'd met so far.

When one of them started in on how nobody they'd seen could likely fill out a (some kind of college form) without assistance, I'd finally had enough...

I got up and walked over to them with a smile and asked, "I'm guessing one of you owns that spiffy little sports car in the parking lot with the (I've forgotten which college) sticker." One of them proudly looked up at me and said, "Yeah, she's my baby!"

To which I asked, "What if it doesn't start when our tour is over?" That got a blank look. I said, "I'm not talking about anyone here doing anything to your car. I'm talking about the car having a problem. If you come out and turn the key and nothing happened, what would you do?"

He said, "Well, I guess I'd borrow the phone and call for help."

With my hands on my hips, I looked down and said, "That's just what I thought. You'd probably be shocked to find just how many of these goober farmboys you've been insulting for close to 1/2 hour could go out to their toolbox and have you running in no time. They'd also probably refuse to take even a dollar in spite of the spectacle you've made of yourselves. The world doesn't operate on college forms and degrees, alone. Not everybody comes from a family situation that allows them to go to college, just like not everyone comes from a family that teaches their children the value of good manners in public. Now... Do you think it's possible you could sit there and quietly consider what I've said until the last tour finishes?"

That's when everyone but my wife and kids stood and applauded.

edit on 8 9 2016 by CornShucker because: added dropped word

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CornShucker

I'd rather phone for help.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

Try using Google.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim

I'd rather phone for help.

If I responded in kind, I'd get another manners violation slapped on me!

It hasn't been all that long ago that a reminder went out to all of us that ATS is NOT FB and that popping into threads just to throw out one line "zingers" isn't considered proper decorum.

Then again, the note about a reason for editing posts being required is almost completely ignored.

To stay on topic:

Not all of the "educated" Hillary supporters are anywhere near as smart as they believe!
edit on 8 9 2016 by CornShucker because: added a few words for clarity

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

Sounds like TLC programs... I remember back when they actually showed interesting stuff.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

If the gay community wants to see just how accepted they really are by the left, let them see what happens when they start showing their dislike of democrats and get their faces shoved in the mud. Democrats don't care about them, never have, unless they need a vote. All they have to do is cater to one or two here and there on national TV and the country thinks the dems love the gay community.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: Winstonian

Sounds like TLC programs... I remember back when they actually showed interesting stuff.

Same here! The fact that the kids liked it too was a bonus. I used to watch it when they weren't even around. In the early days they had some quality programs.

To stay on topic:

I saw a sign out front of a church this week that kind of gives a whole new perspective to all this discussion of polls. The sign read, "Anyone that f*rts in church sits in their own Pew..."

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Looks like silent racism on your behalf.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

LOLOL!

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Just shows how fraudulent mainstream polls showing Hillary ahead are. Trump has friends like Giuliani for example so he shouldn't have a problem with the liberal crowd. Unless they just aren't paying attention and don't know about all of Hillary's scandals.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornShucker

It hasn't been all that long ago that a reminder went out to all of us that ATS is NOT FB and that popping into threads just to throw out one line "zingers" isn't considered proper decorum.

Then again, the note about a reason for editing posts being required is almost completely ignored.

To stay on topic:

Not all of the "educated" Hillary supporters are anywhere near as smart as they believe!

I assume by one-liners you were talking about Winstonian's post above you as well, or was it just Hillary supporters one-liners?

I'd rather see one-liners than people write long stories with no real point to them

It read like a child's "What I Did This Summer"... and everyone was happy and clapped and I was a hero! Yay!

I mean the only two possible reactions to your story are;

1) You threatened to damage someones property because they were talking loudly.
2) You presented someone with a problem that didn't actually exist and then mocked them for not replying with a satisfactory answer to your theoretical problem.

Either way, you come off as the d1ck in this story.
edit on 10-8-2016 by SudoNim because: to edit the post

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim

To stay on topic:

I assume by one-liners you were talking about Winstonian's post above you as well, or was it just Hillary supporters one-liners?

I'd rather see one-liners than people write long stories with no real point to them

It read like a child's "What I Did This Summer"... and everyone was happy and clapped and I was a hero! Yay!

I mean the only two possible reactions to your story are;

1) You threatened to damage someones property because they were talking loudly.
2) You presented someone with a problem that didn't actually exist and then mocked them for not replying with a satisfactory answer to your theoretical problem.

Fair enough...

1) One line zingers are what they are. If someone who has taken the time to respond multiple times to replies in his thread that are one liners like, "Answer the question" with the effort to write a few paragraphs and still gets one liners, I'd be more inclined to overlook an occasional one liner from the OP.

2) If you missed the point, part of the responsibility is mine and part of it rests with you. I guess I made the mistake of giving the majority of readers credit for being able to see the parallel between talking about college educated individuals that assume the piece of paper makes them better than others that were never given the opportunity. There, I've spelled it out for you. You are free to disagree with that, but I've tried to at least give you the context.

3) So I was a bad guy... One guy finally got up and had the b*lls to shut up two obnoxious sm*rt*sses. I've got broad shoulders (though a little stooped), I'll live just fine with the guilt. It could have just as easily been one of the other men there (BIG men) and from the looks on their faces, they probably would have just said, "How about I kick BOTH of your scrawny smart *sses?!" Imo, it doesn't happen often enough. There used to be a show called "What Would You Do" that wasn't much different. Rudeness in public happens so often because the thoughtless jerks in the world never get called out about it.

4) What part of, "I'm not talking about anyone here doing anything to your car. I'm talking about the car having a problem." confused you?? Possibly you were distracted by composing your lengthy reply.

5) I won't go running to the mods and whine about your backhanded way of calling me childish. Childish is as Childish does. Perhaps you've not lived long enough to have experiences that dovetail with a point you are trying to make. I have. Sometimes you can even gain insight from someone with more life under their belt, but... Like my dad used to say, "Your ears don't work when your mouth is open!" (YES, I'm aware that we are not face to face or talking on the phone. Perhaps it's best I provide context, again. The old saying is just as applicable to a closed mind. If you don't get it, at least I tried.)

6)

You presented someone with a problem that didn't actually exist and then mocked them for not replying with a satisfactory answer to your theoretical problem.
Not the case... I didn't mock them. I let them know that they were being incredibly rude (the crowd waiting in the patio was visibly upset with them and it kept getting worse) and (yes, hypothetically) someone they'd offended might be the very person that could have been of assistance.

7)

See... Here another one! I could flip that on you and get my hand smacked again for "bad manners." I won't. Kudos, though, for the accomplishment with much less typing.
edit on 8 10 2016 by CornShucker because: added dropped word

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
HA!!

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Fair enough...

2) If you missed the point, part of the responsibility is mine and part of it rests with you. I guess I made the mistake of giving the majority of readers credit for being able to see the parallel between talking about college educated individuals that assume the piece of paper makes them better than others that were never given the opportunity. There, I've spelled it out for you. You are free to disagree with that, but I've tried to at least give you the context.

But your story didn't have that moral at all. At what point in the story did the college educated individuals assume they were better than others? It sounds like to me you were jealous of them. Or upset that they weren't impressed by things that you are.

3) So I was a bad guy... One guy finally got up and had the b*lls to shut up two obnoxious sm*rt*sses. I've got broad shoulders (though a little stooped), I'll live just fine with the guilt. It could have just as easily been one of the other men there (BIG men) and from the looks on their faces, they probably would have just said, "How about I kick BOTH of your scrawny smart *sses?!" Imo, it doesn't happen often enough. There used to be a show called "What Would You Do" that wasn't much different. Rudeness in public happens so often because the thoughtless jerks in the world never get called out about it.

The balls to do what? Ask someone to keep the noise down? You even said you were just waiting for the tour to start, all they were doing was being loud. You could of easily asked them to lower their voices instead of trying to create some fantasy event where they might need your help and you can refuse them it. Ridiculous.

4) What part of, "I'm not talking about anyone here doing anything to your car. I'm talking about the car having a problem." confused you?? Possibly you were distracted by composing your lengthy reply.

It's hard to gather where that was a sarcastic comment to the college kids. If it wasn't then its a pointless story. Since they didn't have a problem with their car. You made it up. You made up a scenario to try and prove a point instead of just saying please keep the noise down.

6) Not the case... I didn't mock them. I let them know that they were being incredibly rude (the crowd waiting in the patio was visibly upset with them and it kept getting worse) and (yes, hypothetically) someone they'd offended might be the very person that could have been of assistance.

I'm sorry they were upset at what? The fact they were not impressed with other attractions? What happened to Free speech?

This story is pretty unbelievable. I'm not quite sure what your point is,
If your educated and have a nice car don't talk loudly as farmers may get upset?
Don't call for help if you have a problem with your car, first ask some locals?
If you want to ask someone to shut up do so with an elaborate story in which you refuse to solve an imaginary problem for them because of their prior behaviour?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

What's wrong with having an education? Is it something to be proud of that you're undereducated for societies current standards? Sure, some people don't get the opportunity to go to college, but those people are victims of our current system, not something to be proud of.

Or you could have been quiet about it. Being confrontational just makes you a dick. Then again, maybe if you were better educated you would know how to suffer through 20 minutes of people using offensive words. Do you have no ability to just ignore people? They can say what they want in public, without fear of having their asses kicked by big people with a might makes right approach to life.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join