It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voter ID scrapped in NC.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
voterid.nc.gov...

The link tells it all. The voter ID bill has been struck down.

My question is, why is this even a thing? You must have an ID to cash a check, to buy beer, to buy cigarettes, to drive, to rent an apartment.
The only benefit to not needing an ID to vote is you can commit fraud. There is no other reason thinking logically. The local ACLU are the one's pushing for the repeal of the law. Our local Reverend Barber is all over it. They have been pissing everyone off with Moral Monday marches on the capitol, and usually getting a few arrested just to make the news.

But this is the most blatant, ignorant cause I could imagine. Can you provide one good reason that a person wanting to vote in an upcoming election could not obtain an ID?

No-Fee ID Card Program After January 1, 2014, you will be able to apply for a free NC identification card to be used for voting. To qualify, you will need to: Prove your age and identity. Prove your NC residency. Be registered to vote in North Carolina. Not have a valid driver license. This form of NC ID card will be valid for voting and for identification purposes only. You will apply using the same documents (proof of name, birth date, Social Security, and residency) as listed above.

www.dmv.org...

Lets hear from the SJW's on this one. I sure as hell don't get it.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Hillary has to win, and she can't do that without the illegal votes.

Look at the polls. All the ones polling anybody and everybody have her winning by a landslide. The ones polling likely voters (i.e legal voters) have the race within the margin of error.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

You will get no argument from me.
I'm in Indiana and I have to show my ID at the polling place before I get near a voting machine. Get an ID or don't vote.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
My question is, why is this even a thing?

Because North Carolina is a major swing state ATM ... and they need certain voters to vote again and again and again.

Excellent find ... now let's see how many people thump facts in this thread. S&F

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Here's a quote from the judgement:
"In response to claims that intentional racial discrimination animated its action, the State offered only meager justifications. Although the new provisions target African Americans with almost surgical precision, they constitute inapt remedies for the problems assertedly justifying them and, in fact, impose cures for problems that did not exist. Thus the asserted justifications cannot and do not conceal the State’s true motivation. “In essence,” as in League of United Latin American Citizens v. Perry (LULAC), 548 U.S. 399, 440 (2006), “the State took away [minority voters’] opportunity because [they] were about to exercise it.” As in LULAC, “[t]his bears the mark of intentional discrimination.” Id.
Faced with this record, we can only conclude that the North Carolina General Assembly enacted the challenged provisions of the law with discriminatory intent. Accordingly, we reverse the judgment of the district court to the contrary and remand with instructions to enjoin the challenged provisions of the law."

Here's the link to the judgement: www.ca4.uscourts.gov...

Translation: The state government were trying to suppress the African-American vote and they weren't exactly subtle about it. This is par for the course, as the idiots in charge of North Carolina couldn't find their own rear ends with the help of GPS findings, maps and a pack of Sherpas.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

If you don't need an ID to exercise a right, then I want to buy a firearm with no ID.

Voting for the wrong person has killed more than any damned gun!

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

It is pretty weird. It is to enable fraud.

If someone cannot get an ID they likely should be under supervision of a psychologist because they are mentally handicapped.
This is essentially what no ID laws claim. That there are a subset of people mentally incapable of filling out an ID form and do not function in society as one needs an ID to do anything of note(car, living quarters, credit card, loan, job, drugs, government welfare programs). IF one has an ID of that allows them to do these things then they then can get a photo ID with that ID.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

The State is considering its options

Yes, like which airport should we have the plane with all the cash land at.

This just REEKS of corruption.
edit on 6-8-2016 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Ok I'll play devil's advocate here;

An I.D. costs money, so in argument it's poll tax. If it's required to vote it should be supplied. I realize that the poll taxes and "literacy tests" of days gone by were aimed at disadvantaged people but I see it less of a racial thing and more of a class thing.

I honestly don't have a problem showing my I.D.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

No ID needed to vote and all that's needed to register to vote, in NC, is just a government document with your name and address. Link

If anyone working in government had an interest in voter fraud, it would not be difficult to register names and vote under them.

But that could never, ever happen. Politicians never cheat.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Nelson Mandela is obviously a racist.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seiko
Ok I'll play devil's advocate here;

An I.D. costs money, so in argument it's poll tax. If it's required to vote it should be supplied. I realize that the poll taxes and "literacy tests" of days gone by were aimed at disadvantaged people but I see it less of a racial thing and more of a class thing.

I honestly don't have a problem showing my I.D.

I'm all free voter ID.

And people can get them at the DMV...WHERE THEY CAN ALSO REGISTER TO VOTE, IN PERSON.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Seiko

It's pretty weak as a class thing as well. It's not $100 for an ID. It's $10 every 4-8 years.
It does discriminate against those who cannot plan ahead to get to the DMV or SOS before the election, typically those of very low IQ.

I took a look at the Democratic Primary in NY. Must register as a democrat, first time must have photo ID or have two sufficient forms of ID with name and address. Must be registered as Democrats months before primary, must be registered to vote a month before primary.
Wow they must hate poor people. That is way to much for poor low IQ people to handle.
Hypocrisy much.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I'm curious, where do all of the Sovereign Citizen movement (ie. Cliven Bundy and his gang) supporters fall when it comes to voting and identification?

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Most of the people they claim are being disenfranchised are likely on public assistance.

How do they access that without ID?

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Remove all voter ID laws. Everybody can vote one time in every election (so in the full Presidential cycle for example one person gets to vote two times. Once in the primary, once in the general.). When a person votes they dip their finger into a pot of ink to indicate they have voted. Anybody that shows up with any hint of ink on their hands does not get to vote again.

This approach has several advantages:

- Nobody is disenfranchised because of having an "approved" ID or not (and let's be honest. Many of these voter ID laws are explicitly designed to disenfranchise various groups of potential voters. This may be uncomfortable to acknowledge, but it is the way it is. My opinion.).

- Nobody is disenfranchised because of not being a member of some party or other.

- Everybody affected by an election gets to have a say in it.

- It still eliminates the mostly non-existing problem of in-person voter fraud.

- We could quit wasting time on this issue.

But I'm sure this idea is entirely too simple and workable for many. And it won't keep the "undesirables" from voting, which of course is the whole point. So I'm sure this idea will not be well received in this the land of the free.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Open_Minded Skeptic

So you think that simply because you happen to be in a country and drawing breath, you should vote?

I disagree. I think if you are here illegally and participating in this country illegally, you do not have a right to shape the future of this nation, and that's just one of the groups that shouldn't be allowed to vote.
edit on 6-8-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Oh, and the voter fraud that various politicians claim is happening all over the place, hence the photo ID requirement? What voter fraud?

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Yes, you're right. It's entirely normal for some districts to turn in with 100%+ of their registered voter roles in votes tallied.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Yes, you're right. It's entirely normal for some districts to turn in with 100%+ of their registered voter roles in votes tallied.

Do you have any actual cites for where that has actually happened in recent years?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join