It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voter ID scrapped in NC.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Ah, yes. We are supposed to believe that voter fraud doesn't happen. Politicians are honest, they'd never, ever cheat.

But stories, like Pia Farrenkopf's, cast doubt on that: Someone who knew Pia was dead in her garage for two years, voted using Pia's name. It was chalked up as a 'clerical error.'

I don't believe for a second that anyone seriously investigates voter fraud. Pia's story is a testament to that.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Essentially, yes. I would rather have 10 "inappropriate" people vote than have one citizen denied their voice. If every single "inappropriate" voter in the country all voted the exact same way then yes, that might have undesirable consequences. But that won't happen... "inappropriate" voters no more all have the same mind set as do "appropriate" ones, so the impact would be diffused to the point of not being relevant in the big picture.

And we could stop wasting the huge amounts of money, time and resources that go into these dumbass vote restriction laws. And we could stop disenfranchising the tens of thousands of citizens who have the right to vote and are nonetheless denied by these laws created to fix a problem that does not even exist to any relevant degree.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
you must give people their due, I mean how else do you get to vote in three districts as yourself AND come back and vote as others too?

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I have a hard time understanding the change in law, just get a friggen government id, it aint that hard in canada, i dont see how more difficult it would be down south.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Ah, yes. We are supposed to believe that voter fraud doesn't happen. Politicians are honest, they'd never, ever cheat.

But stories, like Pia Farrenkopf's, cast doubt on that: Someone who knew Pia was dead in her garage for two years, voted using Pia's name. It was chalked up as a 'clerical error.'

I don't believe for a second that anyone seriously investigates voter fraud. Pia's story is a testament to that.

Well, actually someone did investigate voter fraud. Here's a Snopes article.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
you must give people their due, I mean how else do you get to vote in three districts as yourself AND come back and vote as others too?

Oh look, another dearth of cites. What a surprise!

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

edit on 6-8-2016 by EntirelySomeoneElse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
I have a hard time understanding the change in law, just get a friggen government id, it aint that hard in canada, i dont see how more difficult it would be down south.

Because only black people are poor and to dumb to get an ID.
Poor dumb white people dont exist.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
and that's just one of the groups that shouldn't be allowed to vote.

What other groups shouldn't be allowed to vote?

If there was an actual problem with illegal voters, then I may think differently, but it's as much a problem in this country as transgender people abusing children in the bathrooms. It's amazing how the right wants to grow government when it suits their prejudices.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Because only black people are poor and to dumb to get an ID.
Poor dumb white people dont exist.

Oh i see what you did there, really poor black people, more poor us white folks am i right.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I still don't understand how this "specifically targets" African-Americans. Does the law state that if they're black they can't vote? No, but the argument seems to imply that African-Americans don't already have any form of ID and are too poor to afford the NO-FEE VOTER IDENTIFICATION?

Requirements & Documents to Obtain a No-Fee Voter ID Card There is no fee charged for a North Carolina ID Card for an individual registered to vote in North Carolina who does not have acceptable photo identification under N.C. General Statute 163-166.13. To obtain a No Fee Voter ID card, you must sign a declaration stating that you do not have an acceptable photo ID. If you already have an acceptable photo ID, you are not eligible to receive a No Fee Voter ID. You must also be registered to vote. If you are not a registered voter, DMV will assist you in completing your voter registration application during your visit, and you will still be eligible for your No Fee Voter ID. Proof of Age & Identity You must provide two documents from this category which provide your full name and date of birth. If you are unable to provide two forms of identification from the approved list of acceptable documents, DMV will review documents that you have in your possession to assist in verifying your identity. Documents that you may present as proof of age and identity, provided they include your full name (including your middle name), are listed in Table (1): Acceptable Documents Valid Social Security Number You must provide a valid Social Security Number (SSN). If DMV is unable to verify your SSN with the Social Security Administration, you may be required to present documentation of your SSN. Documents that you may present as proof of SSN are listed in Table (2): Acceptable Documents Proof of Citizenship & Residency To obtain a N.C. Voter ID card, you must be a U.S. citizen and a N.C. resident. Documents that you may present as proof of residency are listed in Table (3): Acceptable Documents For all of the requirements to obtain a Voter ID, please refer to Table (4): Acceptable Documents All ID cards, including driver’s licenses, are mailed to customers, which may take up to 10 days. When your application is accepted, you will be provided with a receipt upon request. Your receipt cannot be used for identification or voting purposes.

So, care to explain how it's racist to require ID to vote, but not racist to imply that black people don't have driver's licenses and are "too poor" to receive a free ID?

Also, since it is free, it kinda negates the whole "poll tax" argument as well.

*drops mic*
edit on 6-8-2016 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2016 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hillary has just posted this on twitter........
NB: Due to screenshot size, I've provided a more legible version of her statement below

“Fifty-one years after the Voting Rights Act was signed into law, Americans are now facing the most systematic effort to curtail those rights since the era of Jim Crow. Make no mistake, new voter restriction laws in seventeen states have replaced poll taxes and literacy tests as a thinly veiled attempt to achieve an old objective: disenfranchising African Americans, Latinos, low-income people, young people, and people with disabilities.

But we are fighting back. Last week, a court struck down North Carolina’s voter ID requirement, saying it was designed to ‘target African Americans with almost surgical precision.’ Similar restrictions have recently been overturned in Wisconsin, Texas, Michigan, North Dakota, and Kansas after courts found they were intended to discriminate as well.

This November, the notion that every American has a voice in shaping our future is at stake. Donald Trump supports discriminatory voting restrictions — and actually claims that without them in place, the results of American elections should be questioned. It’s a dangerous attempt to undermine the legitimacy of our democracy.

I have a very different view. I believe America is stronger when we expand access to the ballot box, not restrict it. That’s why I’ll fight to repair the Voting Rights Act, expand early voting, and introduce universal, automatic voter registration.

Upon signing the Voting Rights Act in 1965, President Johnson said the right to vote ‘is one which no American, true to our principles, can deny.’

He was right.”

edit on 6-8-2016 by Sublimecraft because: added text

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Yes and consider that a few years back Mexican laborers were able to put large groups of protesters in many cities in one day. Most 90%+ were certainly undocumented or guests.

Point is that they could easily flood state voting stations anywhere they wanted and especially in NC. They have demonstrated the ability to organize here on a grand scale so busing in voters isn't going to be a problem.

edit on 6-8-2016 by Logarock because: n

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

America is WEAKER and in danger if voting rights are extended to undocumented non-citizens.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: ketsuko
and that's just one of the groups that shouldn't be allowed to vote.

What other groups shouldn't be allowed to vote?

If there was an actual problem with illegal voters, then I may think differently, but it's as much a problem in this country as transgender people abusing children in the bathrooms. It's amazing how the right wants to grow government when it suits their prejudices.

Wow this is some of your better lefty rhetoric right here. There is about nothing you can do of import and legaly without demonstrating proof of who you are........except voting?

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

The battle has been lost in Texas as well. Now there's a new "fix" for the November election but it must be approved by the court. The new system:

"Under the deal, which still needs to be approved by a federal judge, a voter whose name appears on the voting roll but is without the appropriate ID could vote after showing an item such as a validvoter registration card or a government document that displays the voter's name and address. The voter would also have to sign a declaration swearing that he or she has had a reasonable difficultly that prevented obtaining one of the accepted forms of photo identification."

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The Dang I Dis FREE. How doe sthat keep them from voting? ALl it does it verify they are a resident and have a valid address. I know MAIL THEM to everyone of voting age. Here we mailed you one for free. a replacement will cost you ten dollars. do not lose this.

There no disenfranchised legal voters.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu
I have never met anyone that says we shouldn't need an ID register to vote...
That is different then needing it to then showing it when you go to to vote.

Kinda like the comparisons in the OP about buying stuff or opening bank accounts, really not what is being talked about at all.

edit on thSat, 06 Aug 2016 12:19:26 -0500America/Chicago820162680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Who is extending it to illegal aliens?
They still won't be able to register unless they commit fraud which news flash, even if we required ID at the polls they would still be able to do.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Greetings-

Maybe it is so the Legislatures can feel better about themselves after the Public Restroom debacle..

Q: If "Gary" a pre-op member of the crew shows an I.D. that has "Gloria" emblazoned in Pink font and enters the 'Mens Room" who is the bus driver?

Sweeeet Caroline.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join