It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Compare 10 Years Ago Versus Today....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
Race relations have improved (if you don't remember, 10 years ago the major talk was of reparations, and outside of the last few days that talk has vanished)

You've got some neat points in your list, but you're totally out your Shi'ite if you believe that line there.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Really? I'll grant that relations between black people and cops are deteriorating, but what I see in my life, what I see in the news, and what I see on forums suggests that people today are far less racist than they were in the past, even the recent past. There is a dislike of what is predominantly black culture, but one stereotypical culture doesn't make for an entire race.

I live in an area of the country that I would call deeply racist, it probably doesn't help matters that the population is about 98% white. Despite that, what I see of the minorities I go to school with, from black people, to women in hijab's is that they're treated the same as everyone else. 10 years ago I could walk down the street of a slightly different town, but still the same general area, and hear sentences like "I'll never let a N* like Obama be my President". Today I still hear some anti Obama rhetoric but the racial connotations have disappeared.

Things are improving on this front.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Dude. If you seriously think that then please go back and respond to the OP, the 2nd post (my 1st response), and if that's not enough, you really ought to come tackle my most epic thread: The Hypocrites Iron Fist - The PC Movement in light of the War on Drugs.

To jump in here and skip to the end of the thread making that blanket statement as TRUTH, argh.

Nevermind what you see at the local grocery. The SJW's have turned the online sphere into one of the most bigoted realities ever known to man it's pretty safe to say at this point (as they're involving ALL social groups not just 'mere' race alone). And it has already infected Europe as well, their hyper racism/reverse-racism, race baiting, and so on.

Do read my first post in this thread. The part about politicians/MSM/citizens race labeling people that didn't support Obama's policies. That was his first year.

I've been in this site for over a decade. There has been perhaps more racism / reverse-racism / counter-racism threads and activity just in the past week than the entire period between 2005-2010. I dont even ever recall seeing such stuff back in that era (and I have a wicked memory), yet the board has been on fire all summer since I first came back and noticed it all the sudden, where I'm pretty sure it's been something like this the past 3 years.

Just in increased anti-white discrimination (by blacks alone) in big cities trumps your argument (something which I've personally experienced starting the first week Obama was elected).

Dont forget, racism is but an example of bigotry.
edit on 5-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
I'm quite happy with my job, actually. I don't mean to say that is terrible. I was just commenting on what the Obama regime has done to the economy and working environment. They do offer compensation for higher education so I have been thinking of going for a Master's.

We have thought about moving, if Ketsuko can find a full-time job closer to where I work. Getting out of our house without another major financial hit is the big problem there.

Gone back and forth a couple times on if I wanted to respond to this. Decided I will. As several people have pointed out to me in the past, if you want a job you might have to move. If you live in an area where there's poor demand for your skills you have two options. You either retrain into something more lucrative, or you move to where those skills are needed.

I don't really know what either of you do outside of some vague notions, but it's possible one or both of you simply made a choice in the past that hasn't worked out well. That happens to a lot of people, predicting the job market 10 years into the future is something of a crap shoot. All anyone can really do is get educated in something they can see themselves doing, and take their chances that there's going to be money to be made in the field for the next 40 years.

Not being able to afford debt for more school is one thing (though some in government are actively trying to fix that), but not all schools carry high tuition costs. Just a few years ago I went to Community College for about $12,000 for a degree, and my current university (which I picked because it was inexpensive) only runs 7,500/year. Combined with already existing credits you could probably have a new bachelors within 2 years.

Then there's always the route of employer sponsored education. It's a rarity these days, but it sure does help people when it shows up. Even if you don't get a better job out of the degree (a very real possibility), 10 years from now you'll look back on it and probably be glad you gained the additional education.

The salary issue you're seeing though isn't going to change until we fix the underlying cause which is CPI. CPI can't be fixed until someone wants to risk starting and then stopping runaway inflation.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Dude. If you seriously think that then please go back and respond to the OP, the 2nd post (my 1st response), and if that's not enough, you really ought to come tackle my most epic thread: The Hypocrites Iron Fist - The PC Movement in light of the War on Drugs.

What people write in online posts is a mix of trolling, blowing off steam, and unfiltered thoughts that don't reflect how they behave in public. You can't really use virtual lynch mobs as a measurement of anything. With the shield of anonymity people (all people) act like monsters because there's no need to try and remain socially acceptable.

What people do in mobs in person isn't much better because herd mentality takes over. But mobs don't make up 99.9% of the scenarios people find themselves in, in society. It's the normal every day interactions people have with each other that you need to look at.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Back in 2006, I might agree with you about that. Not so much these days. Welcome to 2016.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   

But their public behavior DOES match their "unfiltered thoughts", at an increasing rate (both in mobs and as individuals):
Social Justice Assault Warriors TV Marathon!

Which inherently causes backlash.

Your arguments dont touch my argument about what they've done to this board alone the past 3+ years.

You're the expert, please do come debunk my epic thread linked above. Somebody needs to.
edit on 5-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
My point, and I'm sorry if I flew off the handle, is that we as a species, but particularly Americans can be extremely insular. We can look back and say yes there was drama in the US because war criminal discussions, as mentioned in the op, which ignores the real content of that discussion for people that were suffering through war and death on a scale that we would lose our minds over. We go crazy, and rightly so, over the scale of death we have to face over Islamic terrorism, imagine if we actually had to face death like an Iraqi did. I understand we weren't maliciously slaughtering them but you can't just go 'oops'! To me this is like saying you heard your neighbor was shot yesterday, and today you came down with a cold and you say today was the worse of the two days.

Also regarding BLM and SJWs. I don't agree with a lot of what they have to say, but I know they're not entirely without merit. I know the BS that a black man named Jamal will get substantially less call backs with the same resume than Brendan. I know gay people used to suffer a lot, same with trans people. I know that the BLM and SJW movements are expressions of anger and attempts to address issues where they were treated badly, and the only reason it's bothering YOU now is because they decided to open their mouths about it, but it's the reality they've been living for decades. That doesn't mean you have to agree with every bit, but the premise is for a lot of you that it's worse now because they're speaking up which is extremely insular. Many of the effected groups would say it's better now that their issues are heard, and you're saying it's worse to hear about their issues than it was for them to live them.

So when you can talk about there being some public division over whether Bush was a war criminal, but being so insular as to ignore the reality of what that statement means to the people that live it, and say that it's worse now, do you see how just maybe your perspective is extremely limited, and next to the groups directly or indirectly mentioned in OP (Iraqis, gays, blacks), doesn't really amount to much? And like I said, you don't even have to agree with those groups to understand that your awareness of problems cannot equal the same pain as experiencing those problems.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Really? I'll grant that relations between black people and cops are deteriorating, but what I see in my life, what I see in the news, and what I see on forums suggests that people today are far less racist than they were in the past, even the recent past.

Apparently you've missed out on the dozens of threads full of videos and such abut the barrage of blacks calling for dead cops AND whites going back about 2-3 + years now. New media specimens of these sorts of rally cry examples have gone off the richter just this summer.

There have been other verified slaying of whites related to BLM supporter activity going back about 2 years (roughly), and several copycat events of random whites getting slain since Dallas (including late that very night) which didn't get as much attention as the Dallas threads were still running hot.

I had started cataloging a lot of this stuff here:
BLM: When Terrorism Became The Vehicle For The "Social Justice" Warrior (SJW) Movement
Plenty of opens calls for 'kill whitey' examples in there for you to chew on.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

A major part of the problem here is that we could present all kinds of facts, point out reality for what it is, and give all the sources/statistics and common sense to drive it home.....

And in the end it will somehow lead to the fact that you are.... RACIST! THAT is what is wrong today.

It's sick as Hell...you know it, I know it, and anyone with a living, breathing conscience knows it.

Love your posts. Keep on keepin on man!

edit on 5-8-2016 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Trust me ... he's more than good where he's at, and he has let it be known that he will transfer if the company needs him to. To that end, the Masters will help as will the employer tuition reimbursement if they decide the program is useful for him which it should be given what he does.

And as I said, I'm at the point where I am less concerned about starting a career over making a solid support bank to supplement him. He's the one with the career, and I'm fine with that. I'd be fine with what I am doing if it would stretch to 8 instead of simply remaining part-time. But there simply isn't the need for a full-time worker at what I am currently doing. Even I see that. And the number of local jobs in my area are few and far between. I suppose I could try for secretary (and have) but I have no direct experience at that so it gets harder to land the interview in this environment.

But realistically, my current job is not a bad one either in terms of resume fodder. I am actually the last set of eyes on every piece of printed material you will see (signs, fliers, etc.) in a certain nationally known retail chain. And that's a decent degree of responsibility even in a part-time job.

I suppose the consequence is that the publishing and biotech worlds do not overlap in very many places to significant degree.
edit on 5-8-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Apparently you've missed out on the dozens of threads full of videos and such abut the barrage of blacks calling for dead cops AND whites going back about 2-3 + years now. New media specimens of these sorts of rally cry examples have gone off the richter just this summer.

No, I've read them. BLM however is a fringe group of a minority. They're loud and annnoying, but only in groups in real life or from a keyboard. Just the same as everyone else. Go look at the interaction between a white cashier and a black man in a store. Things that happen between two individuals in everyday life. Racism in those types of situations has virtually disappeared. Things are getting better, proof of that is that groups like BLM actually generate news because they're so out of the ordinary. If the things they complained about were typical it wouldn't have the shock value they're using to get into the news.

SJW's I've paid less attention to, I mostly just dismiss them. 90% of them are college kids with no real world experience, and they're doing what people in that situation typically do which is make an ass out of themselves. Most will grow out of it, the ones that don't will repress it in society, develop deep depression issues, and lash out at people on internet forums in gangs about how the world is wrong because nothing they did ever had a lasting impact.

And despite that, violence is at 50 year lows, lower than 2006's 40 year lows.

a reply to: ketsuko

That's good then. I was just trying to point out that if you're not happy with salary moving can often times be beneficial. I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about biotech, but I do know about tech in general and from what I know about that, the best career path if your goal is to maximize salary involves working in a big city for a couple years to establish a history of 6 figure salaries, and then transfer to a lower cost of living area like the midwest and leveraging your expertise to maintain your salary.

I do think it's always worth picking up additional formal education when you can though. The typical career trajectory these days is 6 years of school, followed by a 15 year career, then a need to reeducate. So for the typical 18 year old that means finishing at 24, making a career, that career effectively ending at 39, retraining until 45, and going again until 60, followed by some consulting and early retirement.
edit on 5-8-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I agree and it is only getting worse and worse..

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

You have a couple of years on me, but we are close. Cell phones are the most convenient social engineering tool ever invented. The people at the top control the flow of information. Most people read social media feeds and news websites thinking that this is all organic material. It isn't. It is manufactured at the top by powerful propaganda think tanks that artfully create the story line. All of the hashtags and viral nonsense is a creation of powerful manipulators. They control the movies, the music, the news, the TV, the internet, the apps, the papers, the advertisements, and everything else you see. Even google searches are controlled.

I think that a good portion of people are starting to slowly realize the social engineering, but it might be too late.

Most people don't even know that their opinions are formed for them by people with an agenda.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

Agreed. Social media has played a big part. I do wonder if "social media" was created as a means of social control. Through this medium, things have tended to get very out of control. It feels like manipulation to me, a form of 'peer pressue' so to speak.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Whatever.

Violence is down (as if its because of Democrats), nevermind that RIOTS are up (because of Democrats)!

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: monkeyluv

Great Avatar.
I'm pouring a Nuka
right now in your honor.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
i had a feeling this was going to be another black thread.

didnt take too long...

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Well duh, it was in the OP as a major example of changes between then and now.

This summer the BLM have been the numero uno attention whore drama queens. They wanted all the limelight, and now they and their actions to get it are a major talking point. So despite these realities, do it, you know you want to, call us racists for talking about this "MAJOR" issue today when looking at 'yesterday'.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Mmm... yes.. I remember when liberals had somewhat cogent arguments. I remember when they didn't just reflexively defend everything retarded that came out of their camp. Of course, back then the liberal narrative hadn't gone full-blown retard yet so the types of arguments we see SJW's make these days weren't around back then.

George Bush is an idiot, it's all for the oil, get out of Iraq, legalise weed.

I could get behind that kind of stuff.. but now, pheeew... it's like we're living in the end times or something.

I just saw a hairy "man" with a beard with a baby sucking his tits..

timedotcom.files.wordpress.com...

Yeah.. this is Sodom and Gomorrah alright..

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join