It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baltimore: Black woman shot dead by police during alleged standoff while holding son

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Mamma always said... "Stupid is as stupid does".

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I haven't confirmed this yet, but I thought the Warrant was over parking tickets.

That's the problem here. You don't pay parking tickets and you get Swat at your door ready to kill. That's the whole problem with America's police force.

Now if that's not true and they were there for another reason?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

She was not shot over a parking ticket, she was shot for pointing a shotgun at police. No one to blame here but this lady. Most people, either pay their tickets, or if they can't afford to show up for court and try to work something out. Even an FTA for a parking ticket isn't going to leave you in jail long. Sucks for her child, but she obviously had no regard that child safety. It's not cruel to say the child is probably better off without her.
edit on 2-8-2016 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

exactly what i was thinking, with a mother like that the kid would have grown up to be a criminal at least now he has a chance of not being a criminal.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
Do you realize someone died over a failure to appear?! That's a life!

I disagree. Someone died because they pointed a shotgun at the police and threatened to kill.

How can people expect different results?

I hope the lawsuit for this wrongful death pays for this child to go to law school and help others.

That'd sure be nice if that kid grows into an educated, stable individual. Hopefully he is put with someone who can raise him right, instill values into him, and teach him that pointing guns at police is suicide and also teach him why. Otherwise, it is highly unlikely.

The correct response was to walk away and send an expert to serve the worthless fta.

This is an extremely vague and, in my opinion, unrealistic solution. Who would the expert be? More experienced police? What happens when these "experts" are threatened? What do you propose could be done to get this woman to lower her weapon and be arrested? Also, is it worth the risk? Putting lives, lives that belong to people trying to do something in this world, at risk to save hateful, ignorant people who cannot function in society and in many cases even civilization in general.

This has to stop. The officers need better training. They need to value the people and treat them with respect rather than simply being bullies with guns.

It doesn't sound like the police were the ones being the bullies. Value and respect people such as this woman? I don't think so.

Do you live in a nice neighborhood? Have you seen firsthand what some people are capable of? I'm seriously wondering this.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
Do all criminals deserve to die in the US? Aren't the police trained to disable at all? Surely she could have been shot in the leg or arm or wherever but not killed? I've seen some very very petty reasons for police killing some people when a disabling shot would have worked just as well. Some crimes really don't deserve a death penalty

So you don't think the crime of pointing a gun at police and threatening to kill is deserving of a death penalty? Even when the other outcome is likely a death penalty for someone who has not committed a crime?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
Do all criminals deserve to die in the US? Aren't the police trained to disable at all? Surely she could have been shot in the leg or arm or wherever but not killed? I've seen some very very petty reasons for police killing some people when a disabling shot would have worked just as well. Some crimes really don't deserve a death penalty

"Disabling shots" don't exist, at least not in the manner you mean, so no you've never seen an instance when a "disabling shot" should've been taken.

You do know that firearms, and bullets by extension, are lethal force right? That means any time they're used, there's a risk of death. Shooting somebody in the leg and not the chest is still putting them at substantial risk of death. There are arteries in the legs. And arms. And oop, all that shot to the thigh did was piss you off and make you pull your own trigger some more. Damn, it sounded like such a good plan to wing you and hope it made you say owie.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
SPAM removed by admin
edit on Aug 2nd 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
SPAM removed by admin
edit on Aug 2nd 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

yes and no, she also had resisting charge from the day of the ticket, so she had a history of resisting.
from the OP

According to court records, Gaines’ bench warrant stemmed from an array of traffic charges, including disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Gaines was charged after a traffic stop last March.

only fools resist arrest, your not gonna win.

plus they were looking for there wanted for assault . again from the OP.

The standoff began after three officers went to Gaines’ apartment in the Baltimore suburb to serve arrest warrants on her and a man, according to police. Gaines was wanted for failing to appear in court on traffic charges dating from a stop in March and the man was wanted for assault, authorities said.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I haven't confirmed this yet, but I thought the Warrant was over parking tickets.

That's the problem here. You don't pay parking tickets and you get Swat at your door ready to kill. That's the whole problem with America's police force.

Now if that's not true and they were there for another reason?

The SWAT were there it seems because police got new warrants because of the weapon. A detailed link summary below, lots of info there..some of it if correct, crucial to whatever eventually comes out.
Now, the Washington post has already posted on this, and in one area stated this,
'According to police, no one responded to 10 minutes of door knocking, even though they could hear several people inside. When officers obtained a key to the apartment, they found Gaines sitting on the floor — her 5-year-old son was wrapped in one of her arms. In her other hand was a shotgun'

That is not what you see in the home video, the mother is talking to her son who is sitting on the floor, however also in that video you can see the paramilitary officer who is in the house, not outside. The SWAT was called because of the weapon, so that does not gel exactly with what the Washington post says or what was given to them, since the boy was sitting on the ground at the time of the video, unless the mother was continually leaving the boy down then lifting him back up..facebook was also shut off by police request as the mother was posting on it, likely the video, as well as text. That could only be in the SWAT timeline, not in the vehicle violations police actions.(which it turns out is the subject of the video I posted showing the now dead woman in her car at the time of that particular traffic stop)

heavy.com...

Thing is, there are two things going on, if you go by what the police say, negotiators were in fact being used, however at some time the mother turned off the phone. If that was because Facebook was shut down for her, I don't know, however, if she was texting and uploading video, she would not have had her son in one arm and a shotgun in the other all the time without being vulnerable at some stage..until Facebook was shut down for her. Facebook it seems though still retains any material.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: paperdoll

It'd sure be nice if the police had more respect for human life and stopped treating their job like a video game while they have personalities of toddlers undergoing temper tantrams.

I have lived in both good and bad neighborhoods in my life thank you very much. I also know that as long as you choose who you wish to value and respect you don't need to know any more about me.

That attitude is part of the problem, and you may want to reread what you typed to see if that's how you really feel. Either way, I'm done with you.

Btw, this is why police get shot no questions asked.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Actually, in the state of Maryland it is possible to be arrested solely for resisting arrest. So, this means nothing.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

By your link (not directed at you) the police fired a weapon at this developmently disabled woman and used her response to get a warrant more suitabke to their desires.

I don't believe anything they have to say. They should have never terminated the documentation of events. That alone tells me they're spinning some tale.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Police say they responded to a home in the unit block of Sulky Court on Monday around 9:20 a.m. to serve arrest warrants for 23-year-old Korryn Shandawn Gaines and her boyfriend 39-year-old Kareem Kiean Courtney.

The arrest warrant for Gaines stemmed from a traffic stop that occurred back in March when she was charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. Police were also serving an arrest warrant for Courtney on second degree assault charges.

police say Gaines was pulled over on March 10, 2016 when officers noticed she had a rectangle piece of cardboard where her license place should be.

The rear piece of cardboard read, “Any Government official who compromises this pursuit to happiness and right to travel, will be held criminally responsible and fined, as this is a natural right and freedom.”

A piece of cardboard that was placed in front of the car read “free traveler”.

Police recount an uncooperative experience with Gaines while her two kids were in the car.

In the charging document, officers say Gaines advised the officer that she did not have the right to pull her over and that officers would have to “murder her” to get her out of the vehicle.

After further investigation, the officers determined that Gaines was the owner of the vehicle, but there were no tags listed for the vehicle.

Police say they also could not find any insurance information for Gaines, but she advised that she might “have an old insurance card”.

With her kids in the car, police say Gaines still refused to get out of the vehicle, even moments before being towed.

Gaines was later placed under arrest after putting up a fight, while screaming to her son to “fight and bite the officer” who was holding him.

Gaines was charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

baltimore.cbslocal.com...

Looks like she might have been one of those "freemen" wackos who think the laws don`t apply to them.With that kind of attitude it was just a matter of time before she ended up dead at the hands of the police.
edit on 2-8-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I think this interaction is important. I'm not entirely sure why she's been labeled developemently disabled, however since she's had one poor interaction with leo they certainly would have saved a life if they brought someone equipped to handle physcological displays in a mutually benifitual manner.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
You can see from this woman's past social media history and arrest record that she was very angry and violent.

She was using her 5 year old son as a human shield for Christ sakes.

After pulling a shot gun on police that were there to follow up on an arrest.

Justified in every way imaginable.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
It would be better to know just what was going on.

The Guardian video, appears to be in a police car with some dialogue not heard,

Video in the house, taken by the mother it seems, while a paramilitary is at what looks like the front door.

Convenient that the footage of her loading the shot gun was edited out.

Maybe they will use am elementary school photo of her for the next propaganda piece.

edit on 2-8-2016 by RobotBomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

She was using her 5 year old son as a human shield

That's what came to mind for me. Reminds me of the woman who went at police with an axe a few months back.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RobotBomb

Are you aware that the police have the arrest record available to them before they go to serve warrants? Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if the people interacting with the public were properly trained for the public in all of our differences?

No. Not only is there no justification for loss of life there's reason to believe they should have known better and taken steps to prevent it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join