It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baltimore: Black woman shot dead by police during alleged standoff while holding son

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

the kind of decisions you will have to live with, for the rest of your days. Bad stuff really.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

See above comment. It was dismissed in court for exactly that reason.. However the attorney got paid didn't they?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

not to mention, you have frames of seconds to stop the treath, you would have to be a top shot to hit someone in the leg or arm when adrenaline is high, your nerves are pushing you, and your heart is beating at a fast rate.. depends on the distance also, but still.... center mass.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

How about we take the guns away from the police? There are countries where its rare to have one police shooting a decade. Here it's a daily occurance..

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I wasn't following your conversation with Iamthatbish, I just wanted to give you access to the statute (which is easy to find online, btw). If you were discussing the applicability of that statute to her situation, I can't speak on behalf of that (nor do I really want to).

I was just trying to help you out with the statute.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

I'm talking about the incident in the OP...Sorry if you thought that I was trying to get into the mix of your own prior arrest history.

link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

You should also he concerned why they interacted the way they did with a person KNOWN to have difficulty with the police.

Your response is exactly why there are people that shoot anything in a uniform. I understand the difference between the law and justice, so clearly if it's within the law to antagonize a developently disabled woman until you get the response you need to kill her out laws have issues.

link   
a reply to: bbarkow

When a Bear, Lion, or other animal is threatening, authorities shoot them with a strong tranquilizer. When a human being is threatening, authorities choose to use lethal force.

Why???

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish

How about we take the guns away from the police? There are countries where its rare to have one police shooting a decade. Here it's a daily occurance..

It's funny how people that say take the guns away from the Police never say take guns away from everyone because just taking guns away from the Police means all the criminals will the turn theirs in..

Again, don't want to be shot dead don't hold your kid while using a shotgun.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: jefwane
a reply to: amazing

She was not shot over a parking ticket, she was shot for pointing a shotgun at police. No one to blame here but this lady. Most people, either pay their tickets, or if they can't afford to show up for court and try to work something out. Even an FTA for a parking ticket isn't going to leave you in jail long. Sucks for her child, but she obviously had no regard that child safety. It's not cruel to say the child is probably better off without her.

You missed the point. Sure you don't have a gun in your hands around cops...we get that. But we don't need swat showing up at our houses for parking tickets. That's the issue.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Bish, are you jumping to her defense (despite the pint-sized human shield & aiming at police) because she was a she, because she was black, or because she was pretty? All of the above? I'm guessing a mix of all of the above, with emphasis on Answer C. A pretty face always attracts (pun intended) some degree of sympathy, no matter the crimes. If she was butt-ugly, I doubt anyone would be defending her actions at all.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: bbarkow

When a Bear, Lion, or other animal is threatening, authorities shoot them with a strong tranquilizer. When a human being is threatening, authorities choose to use lethal force.

Why???

Probably because a bear, lion or other animal can't kill at a distance like say a criminal with a gun can.
edit on 2-8-2016 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Without being too specific, I was witnessing an altercation ( verbal disagreement) involving a family member and every time I spoke up to say a person was lying I was told not to speak. The police weren't even called, they were walking around a mall we were in. We were speaking to mgt, and what do you know police just butted in.

The police arresting me ending up proving my family member was telling the truth because after I was almost thrown off a second floor half glass wall by the police, while I was pregnant the person admitted they were lying because they were afraid the police would do the same to them..

Anne Arundle Mills. I mean it when I say I've been thrown out of better places! And I have no regrets.

Just because your family member was right about whatever in the argument doesn't mean the police didn't have a reason to arrest you. Were you being, what words should I use, obnoxious? Out of control? The police probably "butted in" because that's their job. It was in a public place.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: amazing

yes and no, she also had resisting charge from the day of the ticket, so she had a history of resisting.
from the OP

According to court records, Gaines’ bench warrant stemmed from an array of traffic charges, including disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Gaines was charged after a traffic stop last March.

only fools resist arrest, your not gonna win.

plus they were looking for there wanted for assault . again from the OP.

The standoff began after three officers went to Gaines’ apartment in the Baltimore suburb to serve arrest warrants on her and a man, according to police. Gaines was wanted for failing to appear in court on traffic charges dating from a stop in March and the man was wanted for assault, authorities said.

I understand. I just don't like the idea of swat teams going after people just because of a warrent...especially with children involved. Too much can go wrong. There's got to be better solutions to...warrents and parking tickets.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Actually, I find the streets where the police won't go because they're scared of the "criminals" to be the safest and cleanest streets.

I also wonder if this entire thing will be politicized. There are already classes for children with certain diagnosed disorders on how not to be killed by police during interactions. I wonder if this will be used to make them mamdatory.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Bish, are you jumping to her defense (despite the pint-sized human shield & aiming at police) because she was a she, because she was black, or because she was pretty? All of the above? I'm guessing a mix of all of the above, with emphasis on Answer C. A pretty face always attracts (pun intended) some degree of sympathy, no matter the crimes. If she was butt-ugly, I doubt anyone would be defending her actions at all.

I'm a straight woman. I do however have two children on the autism spectrum. And I really hate the fact that people with guns don't understand the part of our population that can be the most vulnerable. The problem with anything in the DSM manual is you are unlikely to look at a person and see that there is an issue.

The person with a diagnosis in the DSM manual may not even know how to express the confussion or ask questions appropriately. Add in a bully with a gun and the minions that defend the blue gang regardless and no one wins..

Pet peeve. Sorry
edit on 2-8-2016 by Iamthatbish because: Predict a text killing me

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Actually, I find the streets where the police won't go because they're scared of the "criminals" to be the safest and cleanest streets.

I also wonder if this entire thing will be politicized. There are already classes for children with certain diagnosed disorders on how not to be killed by police during interactions. I wonder if this will be used to make them mamdatory.

Cool story..is the sky also green in your world?

Come on down to the Badlands in North Philly or cross the bridge and go to Camden and continue your love fest of the criminals in the world because where the police don't go is the safest.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

it's their job to be there, and be involved in things that are considered disturbing the peace, they don't have to be called if they wittiness that.
now if you kept on interfering while they were trying to get to the bottom of the deal, yea you got arrested for it. see the statue that slapmonkry posted.

(2) interfere with an individual who the person has reason to know is a police officer who is making or attempting to make a lawful arrest or detention of another person.

did you kept on getting in the middle of the cops trying to figure out what was going on or did you just shut the hell up and let them do their job.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Sigh... The police officer was chastised by the judge. Let's leave my reason for paying extra attention to how the police behave alone and focus on how the next time we read about a police interaction the person lives long enough to be a defendant?

Eta: no, the police office had an ego trip and wanted me to say nothing. Not one word. He specifically said, " if you say one more word I'm arresting you." and when it was my turn to speak he threw me against the second floor half wall in the mall and arrested me. Didn't need bond, the people there called the police on the police because I was almost thrown off the second floor. Pregnant too. The judge just loved that.
edit on 2-8-2016 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I'm not from Philly, I'm from the DMV area. Where there's gogo and you have your choice of GW or BW.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join