It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Honest question from an outsider....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

I just said I didn't "support" her- I can't, I'm in a different country. I said that those points could be taken either way- it's simply more of a standard route to be a politician for many years and then become president compared to not being a politician and then suddenly becoming president. Is that not a fair comment?

How exactly is a 'career in politics' a benefit when it is government that has been dragging the country downhill?

For God's sake, it is a fact! I'm not quite sure how you interpreted all of those things as my glorious endorsement of her? I stated after that "that can be a pro or con".

I'm no supporter! Personally I find it creepy that it could've gone Bush - Clinton - Bush - Obama - Clinton or even could've been Bush - Clinton - Bush - Obama - Bush! I just feel there's a bit of a problem there.

Politics, no. But this is an anti-incumbency election year. Lack of political savvy is a bonus.

I find that interesting that you seemingly took political knowledge as to mean P.R./ electioneering skills rather than actual historical knowledge of US/ global politics (apologies if you didn't mean that at all, it just seemed that way) which surely could never be a positive? It's actually something which I find irritating in some of the very big American news broadcasters (I think you can guess the ones I mean- both sides this is) seem to discuss politics as if it's simply one big election, constantly discussing drops in popularity ahead of options to solve whatever ordeal is occurring at that time.

I'm not having a go, that seems to happen in most media outlets who are very much openly supporting one party over another I just think these channels sometimes seem more interested in their horse winning the race than good things happening to the country.

What Trump *does* have experience with is regulations, bureaucracy, taxation and red tape. As a private business owner of hundreds of businesses he deals with them every day. My vote for him is in the hopes that he cuts deep into the non-elected, unaccountable section of the government (federal bureaucracy and agencies) and slims them down.

Thank you! That is EXACTLY the type of answer I wanted! That does however come across as a type of protest vote, an "anything but the status quo" but I can certainly understand that one. I expect we'll have a similar hope in our next election but it'll likely be a very different type of person- I'm waiting for the planned drop in corporation tax to 15% here (UK). For comparison it is over 40% in parts of the US. I think it's going to make a lot of people very angry, I couldn't believe when they dropped it to 20%, I thought that was outrageous but never imagined it could go even lower!

It was bad enough that large corporations weren't being pushed to actually pay any tax after paying practically nothing but soon they'll be allowed to do that legally and without loophole!

Argh, sorry for the rant but it's barely being mentioned in the media here and is conspicuous with it's absence! I hope that'll be a major issue at the next general election.

Large corporations influence on the parties has obviously had an effect on your election but I was surprised that people thought Trump would address that issue- I don't understand what makes people believe he would/ could/ would want to?
edit on 30-7-2016 by yes4141 because: My poor quality brain missed something.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek
Damn another one with the projection.

You said it, man.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: yes4141

There are books and books written about American politics-I do not have the pretense of scholars-I was speaking to the op in reference to a non-American with many derogatory comments about our system and the candidates themselves.

America is easy fodder for those outside of our successful culture and lifestyle-simply put, they're jealous-and they did't hide it or their own ideological biases.

I'm an American-and proud and that means I am not going to write a dissertation about the inadequacies of other countries especially not being familiar or having experienced their particular culture-that's just rude and impudent.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Trump is a stellar example of mobocracy, and the reason why America is a Republic.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

There are books and books written about American politics-I do not have the pretense of scholars-I was speaking to the op in reference to a non-American with many derogatory comments about our system and the candidates themselves.

America is easy fodder for those outside of our successful culture and lifestyle-simply put, they're jealous-and they did't hide it or their own ideological biases.

I'm an American-and proud and that means I am not going to write a dissertation about the inadequacies of other countries especially not being familiar or having experienced their particular culture-that's just rude and impudent.

I tried to make it as clear as possible that this was definitely not an anti-USA thread, that's really not my intention. I just thought it was a funny sequence of you saying "you can't properly comment on US politics unless you have lived and grown up here" (apologies for the terrible paraphrasing) and then your challenge of "Name a country that's better than the USA!". I found it funny. I'm not having a go at you, it was only a joke, but it brought me on to a type of comment which I see a lot and find irritating. Your comment was only the route to a point, no offense meant.

I'd be wary of using that jealousy defence though - it's deflection and not addressing whatever point is being made- that comes across as pretty arrogant sometimes which ends up in a cycle where that arrogance is listed as a fault of a nation and so on. As you said, every country and culture is different, unless it's objective (GDP, technology, industry etc.) then that other nation could have no wish for such a thing.

Imagine if a Saudi person said to an American "You are just jealous of our religious unity!"- it would be absurd, that cosmopolitanism and variety is something which America and many Western nations pride themselves with, it's a badge of honour. Anyway, bit of a sidetrack sorry! You made a great point with your country but then didn't seem to follow it when referring to others: you got competetive where there is no league table!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join