It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary Johnson Scary Stance On Immigration

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: sirlancelot
Considering the average illegal immigrant crossing the southern border has at best a 10 grade education so basically we are looking at people willing to work farm and service jobs at very little wage. Wages so low they probably wouldn't pay much in federal or state income tax. Wages so low they still would most likely need some sort of of government assistance! So if it cost more per worker then their tax earns we are paying for them to be here at the expense of many other important issue's those tax dollars could be used for.

Not every person that wishes to emigrate to the United States is uneducated or will be working a low paying job. Additionally, the demand that immigrants create in all sectors needs to be met which in itself creates more growth. it is much more difficult to have a positive GDP with a declining or static population.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Not every person that wishes to emigrate to the United States is uneducated or will be working a low paying job. Additionally, the demand that immigrants create in all sectors needs to be met which in itself creates more growth. it is much more difficult to have a positive GDP with a declining or static population.

That's what legal immigration - the kind with rules - is for.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
In order to be contributing members of society, they need to be able to be gainfully employed at jobs that will support them without needing public assistance to make ends meet.

A non-citizen cannot get welfare benefits so your point is moot. All immigrants still need to pass the citizen qualification parameters before earning their franchise.

Not to mention that the average educational level of Mexicans is generally lower. We do not have the necessary low skilled jobs that would allow them to make a living at American levels of cost of living without needing massive amounts of public assistance.

Where did I say just Mexicans? I said everyone. And see above for your welfare comment.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbarkow
That's what legal immigration - the kind with rules - is for.

And I said, the only rule is that you should not be a criminal. I do not believe in ethnic quotas or any other type of discriminatory immigration policy. If you want to come here because you believe in what this country espouses then we should let you come.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Exactly. It is like a race to sell us out.

Big AG conference table shenanigans.

Doing what was done for the tech sector when they "ran out" of american workers who pay an American cost of living.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Considering the average illegal immigrant crossing the southern border has at best a 10 grade education so basically we are looking at people willing to work farm and service jobs at very little wage. Wages so low they probably wouldn't pay much in federal or state income tax. Wages so low they still would most likely need some sort of of government assistance! So if it cost more per worker then their tax earns we are paying for them to be here at the expense of many other important issue's those tax dollars could be used for.

Yes but don't you think Americans should be first in line for jobs? As it stands IA job growth is gaining while Americans job growth is waning. In true legal immigration we bring people that have education and skills. For a majority of Illegal Immigrants that is not the case.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: sirlancelot

I don't know what's so scary about this. He's backing open borders. We've been having open borders since Regan's amnesty.

Open borders for the US is just a fact that none of us can do anything about. It shouldn't even be a campaign issue anymore.

Yes we have open border because Obama is not enforcing the law. He is handcuffing the border patrol. There is a reason the Border Patrol Union supports Trump!

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Legal immigration is good for the United States

You are correct. However , there are Federal Laws on the books that legislate who , what , when , where , why , and how a citizen becomes legal. Otherwise , they are illegally in this country and under those same Federal Laws should be deported. Period. End of discussion.
I have a friend where I work from South Africa. He just took and passed the citizenship test to become a citizen. Now , he is wondering why he HAD to speak English , when the US adds the Spanish translations to everything . I have no answer. Yes I do. But that would have burst his happy US citizen day bubble.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

You can't look at this as just open boarders. This stance coincides with eliminating the welfare state and legalizing drugs. Anyone who wants to come must contribute...

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Throes
a reply to: Gothmog

You can't look at this as just open borders. This stance coincides with eliminating the welfare state and legalizing drugs. Anyone who wants to come must contribute...

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Yes but don't you think Americans should be first in line for jobs?

I think the job should go to whomever wants it the most and is most qualified.

As it stands IA job growth is gaining while Americans job growth is waning.

What is 'IA'?

In true legal immigration we bring people that have education and skills.

We make it very difficult for anyone to come here legally. If you can pass the citizenship test you should be permitted to come.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
You can't look at this as just open borders. This stance coincides with eliminating the welfare state and legalizing drugs. Anyone who wants to come must contribute...

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
You are correct. However , there are Federal Laws on the books that legislate who , what , when , where , why , and how a citizen becomes legal.

And there is too much who, what, when, where, why and how. It needs to be streamlined.

Otherwise , they are illegally in this country and under those same Federal Laws should be deported. Period. End of discussion.

We all know that is never going to happen. Even if there was somehow an initiative to attempt to round everyone up there is no logistical way it is even feasible.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Libertarians are Liberals.

That's all one needs to know.

NONSENSE!

Libertarians are anti-authoritarian, anti-Big Government, anti-Police State, anti-Marxist, anti-Communist, anti-War On Drugs, anti-World Police, anti-empire building, anti-Federal Reserve / Bankster, anti-Nanny State, anti-PC/SJW, pro-sovereignty, PRO-property rights, pro-Bill of Rights (free speech, guns etc), pro-personal responsibility, pro-individual rights, anti-racist, etc, etc.

Only on some of the "Moral Emotional Wedge Issues" (the parts about leave people alone if they aren't hurting anybody else or their property) might there be a parallel, on paper. In practice, as I've recently realized, libertarianism is the ultimate antithesis to progressivism (er this regressivism it has become).

And GJ doesn't speak for all libertarians, especially not on open borders.
edit on 24-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: Snarl
Libertarians are Liberals.

That's all one needs to know.

NONSENSE!

Libertarians are anti-authoritarian, anti-Big Government, anti-Police State, anti-Marxist, anti-Communist, anti-War On Drugs, anti-World Police, anti-empire building, anti-Federal Reserve / Bankster, anti-Nanny State, anti-PC/SJW, etc, etc.

And GJ doesn't speak for all libertarians, especially not on open borders.

He's your candidate for president ... so there. nanny-nanny-boo-boo

But, it's nice to see someone finally rise up and throw that into my face on a boring Sunday afternoon.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Open borders is ideal, for an ideal world (which we do not live in).

There are many merits to building the wall. It's not just about stopping people from simply crossing the border. Many entry points along our border are dangerous cesspools for violence and crime. Discouraging people from traveling through these parts takes power from criminals seeking to take advantage of unsuspecting immigrants, innocent people looking for a better life.

In order for it to work, we need a more competent government that values freedom. Unfortunately, many on the left calling for open borders also wants larger, more corruptible government. These things do not go hand in hand as we've seen throughout history. You cannot have freedom and government control, they are incompatible.

For open borders or anything resembling it, we need a more efficient method of immigration. We also need to put more power into hands of the people rather than giving more power to the government in dictating who does and doesn't deserve to compete in the work force.

Governor Johnson has long advocated a simplified and secure system of work visas by which willing workers and willing employers can meet in a robust labor marketplace efficiently and economically. Aspiring immigrants would undergo a background check, pay taxes and provide proof of employment.

www.johnsonweld.com...

Done correctly, the wall may not be useful anymore. Innocent people looking simply to travel can come through a proper crossing, safely and efficiently. We can create a system where the only people crossing illegally are people are actually intent on committing crime. Wall or no wall, this is the way forward.

Under Hillary/Trump, the wall will continue to get bigger one way or another and it won't be done properly.

Hillary wants to keep things the way they are, maybe make things even more difficult for everybody.

If they ever committed a crime, either in the country they came from or in this country, deport them immediately no questions asked. If they've been here and been lawful, then I think they've got to pay fines, they've got to pay back taxes, they've got to try to learn English, and they've got to wait in line, they can't get ahead of anybody else who's been here legally and waited. And they have to stay out of trouble, and keep working, and be law-abiding, and maybe in 10 or 15 fifteen years they can get legalization

Trump is all over the place and asks for ridiculous things such as:

Applicants for entry to the United States should be required to certify that they can pay for their own housing, healthcare and other needs before coming to the U.S.

Any push toward reform can lead us in the right direction as long as congress steps up to the plate instead of jerking around for another 4-8 years. It will be even easier if we can elect someone like Johnson.
edit on 7-24-2016 by UnknownQuantity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Aren't you a snap judge.

Normally I would vote libertarian, despite the futility of it, if not just to put some numbers up there. I have mad respect for third party candidates the past 20 years going up there knowing they have not a snowballs chance in the sun, to carry the torch.

This time though, PC/SJW must be stopped and not only does Trump represent the best shot on that front, he might just be the real deal anti-establishment guy we had hoped for in Ron Paul (who got screwed royally by the establishment Media the same way that Trump has survived it). From my experience with the Ron paul campaign, that the Media all worked / works so hard to screw Trump by that metric alone he is the obvious choice. You're not going to get a perfect candidate, but to get one that isn't elitist scum he's the best chance we've got.
edit on 24-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You sound upset.

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Nah!

This is all a video game for me lol!

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Trucks pass each other.