It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melania's RNC speech versus Michelle Obama's DNC speech

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Gin

I liked what one of the commenters said from that article you posted...something to the affect that his dad told him those same things 60 years ago and he didn't read it anywhere.

There are only so many synonyms.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Using the same string of words is not required. Check the definition.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Running away, indeed! She couldn't have plagiarized, because, look, there are "the's" and "and's" . This is akin to saying, "Hey, what do you mean I plagiarized my term paper? I changed a couple words!"

In case anyone isn't old enough to know where the word "spin" comes from in politics (or O'Reilly's old saying "the spin stops here".... right, that itself is spin), it comes from when ping pong and tennis became so popular decades ago. Applying a force on the ball (especially one sent by your opponent your way) with the paddle in order to place the shot where you want it to go (also billiards, pool).

An interesting read

[S]pin could more accurately be called “slant,” for the tactic diverts attention away from the main issue. Spin is akin the sleight-of-hand magicians use to misdirect audiences. This is not to say that a politician, a businessperson, a representative of an organization, or anyone in any competitive walk of life—including you— should not defend your own cause and position it in a favorable light. However, you must address the issue directly rather than divert away from it; only then can you go on to counterbalance the negativity by adding your own message.

This additive, rather than digressive approach is called Topspin, a tennis term that refers to a stroke that causes the ball to bounce sharply and give a player a winning advantage. In public as well as personal communication, Topspin is a positive statement or restatement of a key message that gives a speaker a winning advantage. But just as tennis players must first meet the ball before applying Topspin, communicators must first address the central issue directly before adding their own message. While politicians rarely address issues at all, businesspersons must always do so. In business, accountability trumps messaging.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Remember this is opposite land. The more dump the trump campaign gets the more votes he gets.

I think more people are talking about Clinton killed my son in the real world.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
So, does this mean any valedictorian can no longer use this line?

"From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise, that you treat people with respect"

Is it copyrighted?

Yes. Michelle's speech is copyrighted. If Melania used them in her speech, she violated the copyright. What is Plagiarism?

The expression of original ideas is considered intellectual property and is protected by copyright laws, just like original inventions. Almost all forms of expression fall under copyright protection as long as they are recorded in some way (such as a book or a computer file).

edit on 7/19/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

No longer? Those lines aren't some speech standard that everyone uses. You can use the ideas, but you can't copy someone word for word such as the Trump speechwriter has done. If you made it past grade school then you should already know the answer to your first question. Plaguerism. It's considered fraud and if I caught you doing something like that in my class or place of work I'd have you kicked out of university or fired. It shows a complete lack of ethics and is basically cheating.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So they wouldn't have to debate what Clark,Guliani, and Smith said.

What's to debate? Giuliani says he's a great man

Bring it Don Don. Let's get this show on the road

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gin
Well well well. Michelle Obama too originally may have borrowed or just gotten influence by it for her speech in 2008.

Did Michelle Obama Also "Borrow" For Her 2008 Speech

So in other words Melania plagiarized parts from a speech from Michelle who plagiarized parts from Saul Alinski. The hits just keep on comin'.

In 2008, the aspiring First Lady was accused by bloggers of lifting lines for her DNC speech from Saul Alinsky
www.breitbart.com...
edit on 7jY by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Gin
Well well well. Michelle Obama too originally may have borrowed or just gotten influence by it for her speech in 2008.

Did Michelle Obama Also "Borrow" For Her 2008 Speech

Those two passages of text between Michelle Obama's Speech and the strangely obscure book "Business in South Africa" are so different as to be absolutely bizarre for anyone to think it was plagiarized.

Seriously...it crosses into weird claims of desperation nonsense.

"“And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you’re going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don’t know them, and even if you don’t agree with them.”

VS
Business Success in South Africa
“...is based upon the application of certain basic truths: that integrity is all important, that your word is your bond, that if you owe a person money you pay him back, that you work hard, enjoy what you do and show a loyalty to those with whom you work and do business. He instilled in me simple, clear cut values and a will to succeed.”

WHAT?...that is the right wing's gotcha moment???? "Word is your bond"???

Effen Melania's speech writer plagiarized two paragraphs...

I don't get how some people's thinking centers operate...Sincerely confusing.

link   

I thought a parent using her sons death as a political tool was pretty awful too. Glad we agree, but this thread is about how the Trump speechwriters plaguerized the people they say they're against.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Don't do that to me! For a second I thought I was dying and going into the light. I thought I was in Heaven! Then I realized I was in hell !!

link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: matafuchs
So, does this mean any valedictorian can no longer use this line?

"From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise, that you treat people with respect"

Is it copyrighted?

Yes. Michelle's speech is copyrighted. If Melania used them in her speech, she violated the copyright. What is Plagiarism?

The expression of original ideas is considered intellectual property and is protected by copyright laws, just like original inventions. Almost all forms of expression fall under copyright protection as long as they are recorded in some way (such as a book or a computer file).

Oh lord...That is precious...

Let me ask this hypothetical...If Michelle Obama at the upcoming DNC convention plagiarized text passages from Melania's biography ...How many mili-seconds would pass before Trump would gleefully file a lawsuit?

link   
Well, Melania did admit to getting just a little bit of help... She just didn't say she got it from the first lady...

link   

Who knows? It's so weird. The lack of thought and abundance of excuses are mind numbing. It's like they're trying to be ignorant.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Can you imagine the absolute outrage if a Liberal candidate did the same thing as Melania?

The Trump campaign could have avoided this if they would have acknowledged the ****up, but they blamed it on Clinton.

Typical....

And now "Queen" is protesting the use of their song at the GOP convention....the hits just keep on coming...
edit on 19-7-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Lol. He'd at least tweet about how he is going to sue. Looks like Einstein was wrong. There is something faster than the speed of light. That is, Trumps notion to carry out litigation.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy

I thought a parent using her sons death as a political tool was pretty awful too. Glad we agree, but this thread is about how the Trump speechwriters plaguerized the people they say they're against.

I guess some peoples never saw Cindy Sheehan trotted out .

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

What's to debate? Giuliani says he's a great man

Better than his challenger.

That's for damn sure.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

That's called a stretch.

Or desperation to get something into the echo chamber....
edit on 7/19/2016 by ~Lucidity because: spelling

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join