It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melania's RNC speech versus Michelle Obama's DNC speech

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Here's what I'll say: This 'plagiarism' is a teeny tiny, minor faux pas, to me, compared to the character issues the actual candidates have.

But I know plenty of people are going to seize on it so I feel like it's worth discussing why & how it happened to become an issue. I see it as so obvious, it had to be intentional...even if it *could* have been an accidental, unfortunate coincidence.

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I'm of the opinion that when things happen in politics, the assumption is that it was intentional until otherwise proven.

link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Or you wouldn't, because that is not how it works.

link   
I just cannot wait for the next GOP # up twilight zone experience...
edit on Tue Jul 19 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

this is huge...it is possible she was sabotaged. HUGE

Sabotaged or not...hysterical, great political clown show...more please

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

there may not be new subject matter but any competent speech writer should have had michelle's speech memorized so what happened last night wouldn't! it's almost word for word in parts. it's got to be SO embarrassing for them.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: olaru12

Come now, it's ATS , we know the answer..."They" did.

No there is another answer.

The response to the RNC conventions. Trump critics came up with the go to fall back position. So they wouldn't have to debate what Clark,Guliani, and Smith said.

Gin

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Well well well. Michelle Obama too originally may have borrowed or just gotten influence by it for her speech in 2008.

Did Michelle Obama Also "Borrow" For Her 2008 Speech

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I see where you're coming from, and you know I love 'ya. But, I don't see real plagiarism here and the press is making a mountain out of a molehill. I see a basic framework used by a seasoned speech writer that highlighted one's core beliefs of hard work, honesty, and respect for others. If there was some unique wording, I might agree, but there was not. So, imo, no plagiarism and this is all hyperbole.

edit on 19-7-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Ok then how about these apples.

IF other peoples money belongs to the collective.

So do other peoples WORDS.

Can't have it both ways.

link   
a reply to: eluryh22

The avatar you have was my reaction when this news broke.

link   

Again, how do you define plagiarism?

originally posted by: queenofswords
I will see someone use almost the exact same wording I used.

What about THE EXACT SAME WORDING FOR 23 words in a row?

"values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect"

"values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise, that you treat people with respect."

link   
When people mock each other that is a form of plagiarism.....Plagiarism is meaningless anyways unless the intent is to destroy or harm or steal someone elses work.
Every election plagiarism goes on constantly even with senator races and what not.Just political stuff is all it is.However the media pretends like they run the government today.The media is out of control.
edit on 19-7-2016 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

michelle - "Because we want our children — and all children in this nation — to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them."

Melania - "Because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.”

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Sounds like they hired the same speech writer. Big woop.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
If I plagiarized something so blatantly in school, I would get a failing grade. Now the Trump campaign will have to explain yet another embarrassment.

Wanna bet?

They will gain support!

Remember this is opposite land. The more dump the trump campaign gets the more votes he gets.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
So, does this mean any valedictorian can no longer use this line?

"From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise, that you treat people with respect"

Is it copyrighted?

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gin
Well well well. Michelle Obama too originally may have borrowed or just gotten influence by it for her speech in 2008.

Did Michelle Obama Also "Borrow" For Her 2008 Speech

Plagiarism is using the EXACT same words in the EXACT same order. Paraphrasing is what you have illustrated, not plagiarism.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

No

link   
Joe Biden plagiarised part of a speech the former UK Labour leader Neil Kinnock gave in 1987 ... and Joe still became VP. Double standards ?

Even though I dislike Trump this is truly a storm in a teacup. Not that my opinion matters, non US.
edit on 19-7-2016 by TheShippingForecast because: Added name

link   
a reply to: knoxie

You know what would have been nicer. Is if ANY MSM outlet would have said....

" A fine speech echoing the sentiment of Michelle Obama in 08"

How about the other 10 minutes of the speech?

bigstory.ap.org...

"I mean, this is, once again, an example of when a woman threatens Hillary Clinton, how she seeks out to demean her and take her down," Manafort said. "It's not going to work." The White House declined to comment on the similarities. The passages in question came near the beginning of Mrs. Trump's roughly 10-minute speech. Her address was otherwise distinct from the address that Mrs. Obama gave when then-Sen. Barack Obama was being nominated for president.

edit on 07pm31pmf0000002016-07-19T12:27:30-05:001230 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join