It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: "Jobs that Americans won't do" are filled by desperate migrants

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
There are some jobs, like masonry and cement-work, where there is basically an "immigrant union" in place. Legal mexican immigrants are in the position of hiring, and they ONLY hire relatives from mexico.

The wages are fine, ~15 -$20 an hour. But the jobs are not advertized in the USA. Even if you ARE hispanic, you'll have to pay so that your Tio Pablo can come north and have a job here. I've heard that in new residential construction, bath and shower work pays at least $25 in the Dallas area, but you have to pay ~ $500-750 to get the job in the first place, if you know whom to pay.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Lazarus, that why regulation is the key. If you regulate and controll it, then its a win win situation. Not many people want to do stoop labor in the sun all day long. Our agriculture system from lettuce to grapes to celery, to artichokes, to god forbid brussel sprouts are dependant on the stoop labor required to perform them.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Lazarus, that why regulation is the key. If you regulate and controll it, then its a win win situation. Not many people want to do stoop labor in the sun all day long. Our agriculture system from lettuce to grapes to celery, to artichokes, to god forbid brussel sprouts are dependant on the stoop labor required to perform them.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The problem lies wholly with the greed of the businessmen taking advantage of migrant workers solely because they can. If these so called businessmen had an ounce of moral fiber, they would recognize that it is about creating a better and diverse community for all through the businesses they run and not just about chasing the almighty dollar.

Every man/woman has value and should be treated with respect and be made to feel the he/she is valued...a contributing factor to the success of a business regardless of race. It makes me sad to think that some humans have not evolved past ignorance and stupidity and fail to realize that this is their chance to make a difference not just for themselves but for many fellow human beings...a chance to really do some good.

And with regard to a migrant worker's legal rights...walk a day in some of their lives and then tell me how bad you have it! And outsourcing and migrant workers are two entirely separate issues, astral_ice. I agree that corporate accountability should be enforced and the minimum wage should reflect the cost of living a better than sub-level life. But is there really anything wrong with giving employment to a hard working, skilled or motivated migrant who has sacrificed everything to come to another country to make a better life for his or herself and family...to lend a hand with getting legal status whether through sponsorship or other means...to assist with entering into an education program. The motivation and drive of many migrants is a quality to admire, is of high value, and should be recognized as such through fair wages and equal opportunity. But it's the businesses that take advantage of this which in turn demoralizes the migrant and kills the spirit which propelled this person to another country in the first place, making it more of a sidestep. It's not the fault of the migrant worker for lowered wages but that of the unscrupulous employer and the government with a cold heart and blind eye.

I'll say it again for the logically challenged...the problem lies in the hands of the greedy businessmen and not the migrants looking for a better life. Every man and woman on this planet should be allowed to make a better life for themselves and if he or she needs a little help then maybe it's time to evolve past the piss-ant racist, "me" generation mentality and start acting like compassionate human beings...offer help to those in need with the drive and the integrity to work for a better life. We don't own the planet, contrary to what many egotistical and greedy buffoons would like to think.

Step back a bit and just think for a moment...how many jobs have been taken away from locals in foreign lands by businesses in the US? Here in the Virgin Islands, it's running rampant like a virus.

Some of the veiled racial comments in here are uncalled for. If some in here actually ventured out beyond their local bar and researched business practices a bit more they would know that we Americans are not blameless in hiring based on family ties, nationality, skin color, gender, etc. even in the foreign companies owned by Americans! Let's think before we speak, please.

edit: spelling

[edit on 18-1-2005 by antipigopolist]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
Ya really, can we start up a separate welfare program for these illegal aliens that the businesses that hire them pay into?

This is a very good idea and would help many who wish to live a better life. Very good idea, indeed, dawnstar.

[edit on 18-1-2005 by antipigopolist]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I worked for a business that hired many immigrant workers, legal and otherwise. They were paid just as well as the American workers, but one big advantage to the employer was that the immigrant workers, especially the illegal ones could not report any regulatory abuses.

They were not allowed breaks, barely a lunch time, took no sick time, and had no access to OSHA when they were asked to do dangerous jobs, or no access to workman's comp when they were hurt.

( the next time you see a news report about a trench collapse....you can bet it was an immigrant or undocumented worker who was buried alive in a sub-standard trench!)

And when the company was a bit short on funds, they just handed out bad checks to the crew.....what would they do?....go to a judge and get a bad check warrent?? Not likely.

The business owner wins, the workers lose....immigrant and American...and the tax man loses too...When the new guys would come in to sign on they always claimed the max number of dependents and had no state or federal income taxes taken out of their checks...so they would never need to file a return....never need a real ss# or a real address to mail a W2 to. ( No matter what their age....16 or 60, they always claimed to have 6 children)

And yes that place was reported, but I never knew of anyone showing up to check....it was probably too small a business to get any attention.

[edit on 18-1-2005 by frayed1]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
But if it is federaly regulated then we could have controlls placed on conditions and the like. Also as the law states they can only use the migrant workers after they show no American applied for the jobs.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
But if it is federaly regulated then we could have controlls placed on conditions and the like. Also as the law states they can only use the migrant workers after they show no American applied for the jobs.

If you've ever worked as a "scab," (as I was tricked into doing), you soon learn that no one shows up to fill the job because they want to keep above ground for another day.

And as for the antipigologist,

I have done a lot of hard labor in my life, much of it farm and construction labor. I've worked on a number of ranches where I was the only anglo employee. I continue to work as a volunteer with a food pantry that serves the largely mexican-american indigent community in my area. I also helped the mexican community in their fight to get Spanish-language books into the county library. So I deal with the hispanics who pour the concrete, Pigologist; that's how I know about the issues they face. If you want to pretend that the issues facing them do not have a racial vector (that goes both ways) then you are kidding yourself.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
If you want to pretend that the issues facing them do not have a racial vector (that goes both ways) then you are kidding yourself.

I believe you misinterpreted what I said ---> "they would know that we Americans are not blameless in hiring based on family ties, nationality, skin color, gender, etc. even in the foreign companies owned by Americans!"

I'm sure all races have racism and do not pretend otherwise. I was merely pointing out that we are not blameless in off-center business practices. To be honest, I don't know why you have singled me out because, if I am reading correctly, we have similar ideas. The Mexican immigrants have, on the whole, been treated very poorly by the US and it is cause for concern. They are no different than any other human being, fundamentally, and should be treated no different if here merely for a better life.

I know here in the VI many construction jobs go to companies back in the states and do not use local laborers but rather have local housing set up for US workers during the period of construction. The locals here have to sit by and watch business after business come here and take away life changing revenue for some racist greed monger back in the states rather than put money back into the community they benefit from.

I cannot speak to the "Mexican Immigrant Union" issue, but it would seem logical that they would hire from the hispanic community due to possible language barrier issues? I would like to know more if you have time. Is the fee that they pay a bribe or is it a lump sum for legal union dues for union protection? Are the workers moving to the states for a better life or merely taking the money back across the border (which does not help the community that helps them)? I can however speak to the lower wages paid to fellow hispanic employees of past as witnessed when I worked in the states. I fought to get this practice stopped with some success. The company I run here on the islands pays according to ability and not nationality which I have a considerable amount of influence over. As mentioned earlier, unfair business practices should not be tolerated under any circumstances. That would be applicable to any race. So no...I am not kidding myself.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join