It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: "Jobs that Americans won't do" are filled by desperate migrants

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Migrant workers are at the forefront of a Bush administration call for a reform of the current immigration system. Under his proposed plan, migrant workers would have a temporary guest worker status in the country. Before employing the workers, a company would have to prove that no U.S. citizen wanted the job. Rights groups remain concerned that the often non-English speaking workers will be taken advantage of or worse.

story.news.yahoo.com
She is dizzy, almost wobbly. Her head aches, her coughing won't stop, and because she doesn't have enough money she has not filled her four prescriptions nor seen a doctor recently.

But that doesn't stop her.

Soon it will be midnight, and Ipifania Dominguez will be back at work cleaning up blood, bone and fat in the world's largest pork slaughterhouse. She'll be back in the "head room," as she calls it, where meat is cut from pigs' heads.

She'll be back reaching and bending as she scrubs the machines, walls and floors with a sponge, breathing cleaning chemicals that burn her eyes, clog her throat and linger, giving her a nauseated feeling when she stumbles home exhausted.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its a good program in my opinion. The workers are going to be here one way or another and it allowed the government to keep track of thier whereabouts. Its not perfect but it would be far better than the present system. Migrant workers form the biggest part of our agricultural base. They also represent some of the hardest working people you will ever meet. Near the San Francisco Bay Area is what is often called the salad bowl of the world, the Salinas / Monterey farming areas. A good chunk of the lettuce and most of the worlds artichokes are grown here. Without migrant workers to tend the crops, this whole industry would collapse and the costs of produce would skyrocket.

[edit on 1/18/05 by FredT]

[edit on 1/18/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Migrant workers form the biggest part of our agricultural base. They also represent some of the hardest working people you will ever meet.

They said the same thing about the African-Americans one hundred and some odd years ago, now they are suing everything and everyone all the way back to the companies that hired the ships to bring them over here.

Cheap labor always has a price, just might not be an up-front expence.

-Scott

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The job that ifipania Domenquiz is currebtly doing, for who knows how much, probably minimum wage, used to be done by a guy frm the meat workers union. It wasn't that bad a job, you simply made a few cuts above and below the eyes and cut out the tonque. Would I do it, f--- no, but there were plenty of people that would when it was paid 13 dollars an hour. There's plenty of work now being classified because companies search out those who will do the work for gut wrenching wages.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nemithesis
They said the same thing about the African-Americans one hundred and some odd years ago, now they are suing everything and everyone all the way back to the companies that hired the ships to bring them over here.

You might want to provide some sort of proof that what you say is true (it isn't) or else you might want to retract your statement.

Back on topic:
I too think that the guest worker program is a step in the right direction. NOTHING we are doing now is working at all, and this program has the potential of filling a need, freeing up border patrol resources, and promoting goodwill among the workers.

The only part that I have a problem with is proving that no American wanted the job. It's too easy to sabotage the plan if you allow that, plus it goes against freedom to hire whomever you want.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
accordin to me its money which the issue here. as the migrants dont have enuff money they r forced to these jobs. a native who is strugglin badly and has to survive from hand to mouth will also be forced to take these jobs if they come thru. we must remember that evey human has the desire to make it big. some do not and to scrape thru they have to do these jobs, irrespective of whether they r americansor immigrants

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
You and I both no that the underlying motive behind this move is in the interest of corporations. Profit margins are all they care about. The cheaper the labor, more prodit they gain.
The average illegal is paid very poorly in most cases. The issue has nothing do to with who will take the job but how much the employer is willing to pay the employee. The American taxpayer is supporting the influx of illegals through social programs not the companies that are employing them. Take a look at our schools and hospitals in the Southwest.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Ya really, can we start up a separate welfare program for these illegal aliens that the businesses that hire them pay into, so that we undervalued workers aren't forced to pay for our own demise at least?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Just for the record:
A good friend used to have that job at wilsons meat packing plant... (just out of high school) He made more than any of us... $20 a hr (spent it all like he was a rich man also)

but i bet ya that the "guest" is making $5 an hr... if even....

so how do we figure that....
what once were high paying jobs... becoming $5hr jobs... of course no american would want it... they can yell obscenities at you thru the macdonalds speakerphone for more than that... oh wait.... I forgot.... Macdonalds is outsourcing those jobs to an india call center.... (you think i am joking... i am not!). It is the companies that own america that are selling it off a little at a time... make your dollars count... only support companies that have workers that speak english as a first language (or fluently). Sorry, I like the cheap fruits also, but it is killing our country....
anyone think about the thousands of jobs that have been lost since Bush...
anyone think about the thousands of jobs that are no longer being held for our service men? anyone think about what you have when you have huge unemploymnent and then add another 200,000 unemployed ex soldiers to the list...

(BTW when you hear about the "growth" in jobs... realize that we have to have "growth" in jobs... we have "growth in population" what we have is 3% job growth and 5% population growth... so= net loss of jobs every month...)

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
You might want to provide some sort of proof that what you say is true (it isn't) or else you might want to retract your statement.

It was main stream news early last year....
"Descendants of black American slaves are preparing a multi-billion dollar action against Lloyd's of London, the best-known name in world insurance, for allegedly financing the trading fleets that uprooted them from their homelands and condemned them to generations of slavery in the New World. "
www.buzzle.com...

Unless you are referring to "They said the same thing about the African-Americans"
Then you'd be right, I have no idea what 'they' used to say about Afican-Americans, I was just trying to make a comparitive point.

So there.

-Scott

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
Ya really, can we start up a separate welfare program for these illegal aliens that the businesses that hire them pay into, so that we undervalued workers aren't forced to pay for our own demise at least?

You know, that's actually a very good idea. These workers have no health benefits, and I'll bet they would be willing to pay a portion of their wage into a plan that would supply them with some, even if they are minimal benefits. The businesses that hire them would need to pick up a portion of the cost.

Good idea!

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Migrant workers form the biggest part of our agricultural base. They also represent some of the hardest working people you will ever meet.

Allow me to further explain my point.
In the 1800's American white people didn't think twice about owning a black slave if they could afford to buy one. Cheap labor, hey why not? They didn't have the forsight to concider that they might one day get smart and use their numbers to break the chain of slavery. White Americans generations later have been paying for that lack of forsight ever since and probably always will to some degree.

Now we have a new form of cheap labor in the form of redily available immigrants. Only this time instead of being required to feed and house them, we only need to pay them as little as we can get away with. Many will work in unsafe to almost hazardous conditions without proper safety training or equiptment. But it's ok because their migrants, just like it was ok because they were slaves.

I'm mearly pointing out that this new migrant bandwagon in the US workforce, and especially our presidents support of it, may end up being another serious lack of foresight that will bite us later on.

-Scott

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Allow me to further explain my point.
In the 1800's American white people didn't think twice about owning a black slave if they could afford to buy one. Cheap labor, hey why not? They didn't have the forsight to concider that they might one day get smart and use their numbers to break the chain of slavery. White Americans generations later have been paying for that lack of forsight ever since and probably always will to some degree.

Now we have a new form of cheap labor in the form of redily available immigrants. Only this time instead of being required to feed and house them, we only need to pay them as little as we can get away with. Many will work in unsafe to almost hazardous conditions without proper safety training or equiptment. But it's ok because their migrants, just like it was ok because they were slaves.

I'm mearly pointing out that this new migrant bandwagon in the US workforce, and especially our presidents support of it, may end up being another serious lack of foresight that will bite us later on.

-Scott

boy.... comparing the two situations... man you got balls...
have you seen roots?
don't mean to detangle this... but... there is a BIG difference...
the slaves didn't have a choice... the mexicans do, and they freely choose to make more here doing whatever they can....
we can do one of two things... help improve the situation in mexico, so they won't want to leave so desperatly... which is already happening with our efforts to make a united north and south america free trade group (trying to compete with the european free trade union...) or we can go back to unions and keep the mexicans out by union shops vs non union... but i think we just need to do this unofficially... perhaps by filling out a petition to show that most americans would support only american hiring companies..
In the last case... it probably wouldn't keep mexicans out of the agri jobs,(wouldn't want to anyway) but it would keep them from replacing the higher wage jobs with lower wage ones...

[edit on 18-1-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Ok this is a situation which I have personal experience in. Everyone that says "Oh well a white guy wouldn't do that job" hasn't done their homework. They are right at this point we won't do some jobs, heres why. These jobs are now a. paying less than it takes to support yourself without living 8 to a 1 room apartment b. they used to pay just fine until illegals flooded the market and employers realized they could slash wages to the bone, treat their employees worse than equipment, and get away with it.
I'll even give you an example
THe electrical company my dad works for hasn't given him a raise in 4 years. They've cut his benefits back every year, and he went from paid holidays to unpaid. At the same time that they did this they have raised the hourly charge for him by $8 an hour. This basically means that while my dad has seen a net decrease in wages over 4 years (inflation, cost of living, etc) the company he works for makes 8 dollars more per hour he is working than they did 4 years ago.

This is a trend which needs to be recognized and stopped by american workers, I myself am a victim of outsourcing about 8 times over. Instead of giving jobs to people who don't have a legal right to be here, lets force corporate accountability and force our elected officials to raise our minimum wage to something that's not a freaking joke!

[edit on 18-1-2005 by astral_ice]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
This is one area where I disagree with the President. If there are jobs that Americans won't do, then the problem is not with immigration laws, the problem is with Americans.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I dont think the problem is that AMericans wont do the jobs. I think the problem is Americans wont do the job for 5 bucks an hour like some illegal will do. If the companies that practice that were forced to pay NORMAL living wages, we'd work them.

Thank the republicans and the anti-union mentality that they have. See for yourself.

$6 an hour X 40hours= $240 a week
$240 a week X 4 weeks= $960 a month

average rent for 2 bedroom apt= $750 mnthly

leaves aprx. $210 a month for food groceries and gas, or a little more than $50 a week. Oh wait..thats wrong. I forgot about taxes. Less than $50 a week. Unless, that is, I get my wife pregnant and sponge of the government for a bit. Then Ill be rich! Well, since I dont have any kids, I guess Ill keep trodding along.

thats why we "wont" work those jobs. YOU CAN'T EARN A LIVING DOING IT!!!
Well, at least those damn unions aint around telling the businneses what they can and cant do to their employees, huh?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
astral_ice: hope your dad is getting close to retirement. There is probably some kind of legislation in place right now to require a true electrician to be on the job. As soon as that Mexican gets enough instruction from your dad the company will start lobbying for less regulation and your dad is gone.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazi
The job that ifipania Domenquiz is currebtly doing, for who knows how much, probably minimum wage, used to be done by a guy frm the meat workers union.

kazi, she does not do that job. I have no doubt its still a union job, she cleans up the mess thats left after.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Because Americans wont work for $6.00 an hour, thats why. Make those same jobs 10.00 and you'll get a different response.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Because Americans wont work for $6.00 an hour, thats why. Make those same jobs 10.00 and you'll get a different response.

Thats the whole point of the law. If Americans do not want the job, then its opened to migrants who will be taxed and have some protections and the like

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
FredT
that is the problem....
every job in america can be done by a migrant worker (except ones that require degrees) and even those can be done, if the person has a degree from a central american or mexican university...
So what you are saying, is that every worker in the country better be willing to work for the same wages that mexicans get paid, or else go on unemployment or welfare...
that is bunk and you know it...
the problem is that mexico has a much lower cost of living... so therefore, they do not need as much money to live comfortably. We do need jobs that pay at least $10hr in order to pay bills and live hand to mouth... all those jobs are starting to go to migrant workers for $5 an hr... and now you try to say that it is a good thing...

also...if you read my previous posts (which you obviously did in order to fine me 20 points) you will see that my friend used to do that very job (cleanup) for $20 hr... he was able to support himself and his mother... but at $5 hr...he could barely keep a roof over his head... but hey... the mexicans will do it... give it to the mexicans they can do anything... (truly) and that is my worry...
hey everybody... i have an idea... lets all move to mexico... I hear it is cheap to live there...
goodbye americas tax base...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join