It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: chrismarco
a reply to: secretboss

More importantly what's the next evolutionary jump going to look like or would we even recognize it?

Evolution is dead.

Take a good look at us right now.

We use science and technology far too much for natural evolution.

The human species as we know it now is all there is ever going to be.

Lol. If you don't think humans can even change the climate on the planet, how the hell do you think humans would be able to halt evolution? Do you even think about these things before you say them?

Not when they are too busy social engineering.

Trying to change the environment to suit their WANTS.

EVOLUTION only occurs when the people ADAPT to their surroundings becoming more than they once were.
edit on 11-7-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: intrptr

How about checking your ego for a change and denying ignorance instead of pretending like you know everything there is to know?
What is a Scientific Theory?

Every scientific theory starts as a hypothesis. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a hypothesis is an idea that hasn't been proven yet. If enough evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, it moves to the next step — known as a theory — in the scientific method and becomes accepted as a valid explanation of a phenomenon.

Tanner further explained that a scientific theory is the framework for observations and facts. Theories may change, or the way that they are interpreted may change, but the facts themselves don’t change. Tanner likens theories to a basket in which scientists keep facts and observations that they find. The shape of that basket may change as the scientists learn more and include more facts. "For example, we have ample evidence of traits in populations becoming more or less common over time (evolution), so evolution is a fact but the overarching theories about evolution, the way that we think all of the facts go together might change as new observations of evolution are made," Tanner told Live Science.

link   

The only rabbit holes are the ones dug by rabbits.

That is just your theory.It has no basis in fact.

edit on 11-7-2016 by olbe66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The agendas come from the saps trying to discredit evolution because they have trouble thinking long term.

"Long term" as in infinity? You mean the notion the Universe is infinite (meaning been there forever) and has had pretty much forever to fill with life?

You also can't see the long (infinite) term, due to your own confirmation bias. You'll been trained your whole life to beginnings and endings...

Stuck in Plato's Cave, right next to all the other "theoreticians"....lulz...

intrptr out.

(For future reference, that means I delete all subsequent inbox replies from this thread without reading them.)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

We're always adapting to changing pressures, they don't have to be entirely environmental, they can also be social.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

More importantly what's the next evolutionary jump going to look like or would we even recognize it?

Evolution is dead.

Take a good look at us right now.

We use science and technology far too much for natural evolution.

The human species as we know it now is all there is ever going to be.

Lol. If you don't think humans can even change the climate on the planet, how the hell do you think humans would be able to halt evolution? Do you even think about these things before you say them?

Not when they are too busy social engineering.

Trying to change the environment to suit their WANTS.

EVOLUTION only occurs when the people ADAPT to their surroundings, and becoming more than they once were.

No, evolution occurs whenever a trait proves to be beneficial for a species that goes to helping it live longer (or give it an easier time attracting mates). Humans are STILL evolving. For instance humans are far less hairy than they use to be. We've also gotten taller.

And on top of that evolution is still occurring in the wild. Things are still adapting to the changing landscapes, AND with all the species humans kill off we may even get direct viewing evidence of punctuated equilibrium occurring as evolution speeds up to refill all the empty niches.

This is also ignoring the fact that humans have learned how to direct evolution through selective breeding and even genetics. So going forward instead of natural evolution, there will also be artificial evolution happening.
edit on 11-7-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The agendas come from the saps trying to discredit evolution because they have trouble thinking long term.

"Long term" as in infinity? You mean the notion the Universe is infinite (meaning been there forever) and has had pretty much forever to fill with life?.

You also can't see the long (infinite) term, due to your own confirmation bias. You'll been trained your whole life to beginnings and endings...

No long term as in millions or billions of years

Stuck in Plato's Cave, right next to all the other "theoreticians"....lulz...

You clearly don't know the meaning of this story.

intrptr out.

(For future reference, that means I delete all subsequent inbox replies from this thread without reading them.)

Yeah because you realized you poked a bear and don't have the guts to retract your statement and apologize for being wrong.
edit on 11-7-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

For instance humans are far less hairy than they use to be. We've also gotten taller

This made me smile lol. Why dont you stop shaving and cut Your hair for 24 months. I bet you will stick out from the rest of the population.

We have not evolved. Our Tools have and Our preception of Our selves. We are nothing but fools who think we have evolved.
Damn most of you should not even have been alive today of it wasent for Our Tools and Technology.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

If you say so.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

a reply to: wheresthebody

Abiogenesis is the origin of life, fun stuff, cool ideas, no one knows for sure. This is where the debate is.

Like religious interpretation, thats an old debate.

But science, like religion, doesn't take to new ideas very well. They don't have proof of origins , focusing on what they call 'life evolved' . You can't have a car without a factory.

if that factory was in another star system, you still wouldn't know the origin of the car. you would however, have theories to its origin

link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

It doesn't explain it tho, it just explains what happened after...

They shouldn't use the misleading "exactly what is evolution" then. Origins are a huge hole and why they continue to call it a theory.

Yes they can, YOU are saying it had to have origin involved and if you think they can't call it a theory because they don't have that explained then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a scientific theory is and we would be at an impasde.

link   

Evolution is dead. Take a good look at us right now. We use science and technology far too much for natural evolution. The human species as we know it now is all there is ever going to be.

While we are certainly affecting evolution, it is by no means dead. A good example is medicine, which has allowed people to live who would otherwise have died. This means their genetic traits are more likely to be passed on. Most people would intuit that this is a bad thing because traits that would have killed us are allowed to remain, but there is no reason to believe such a fact is all negative.

For example, on Slashdot just today is an article about this:

Something strange is going on in medicine. Major diseases, like colon cancer, dementia and heart disease, are waning in wealthy countries, and improved diagnosis and treatment cannot fully explain it...it looks as if people in the United States and some other wealthy countries are, unexpectedly, starting to beat back the diseases of aging. The leading killers are still the leading killers -- cancer, heart disease, stroke -- but they are occurring later in life, and people in general are living longer in good health.

The Times cites one researcher's pet theory that the cellular process of aging itself may be gradually changing in humans' favor.

That's an example of "modern" evolution. That we may be able to manipulate our genetics is certainly true, but that this means "Homo sapiens" will "no longer be a species" is a huge leap. The definition of a "species" is that members are capable of inter-breeding, so a "new species" would mean that, theoretically, "Homo futuris" would not be able to interbreed with Homo sapiens.

What's much more likely to happen is that "Homo sapiens sapiens" would evolve into "Homo sapiens futuris" and be no different than Neanderthals are from us, still capable of interbreeding, and not really all that far apart.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I mean if it is a picture on the Internet than it must be true!

edit on thMon, 11 Jul 2016 14:35:53 -0500America/Chicago720165380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: spy66

For instance humans are far less hairy than they use to be. We've also gotten taller

This made me smile lol. Why dont you stop shaving and cut Your hair for 24 months. I bet you will stick out from the rest of the population.

Do you HONESTLY believe that if I were to stop cutting my hair, that I would grow enough hair to cover my whole body?

We have not evolved. Our Tools have and Our preception of Our selves. We are nothing but fools who think we have evolved.
Damn most of you should not even have been alive today of it wasent for Our Tools and Technology.

*eyeroll* And you wouldn't have modern medicine to thank for saving untold numbers of people (probably including people you know and love if not yourself) if it wasn't for humans' knowledge about evolution. It's easy to sit in your chair and say, "nuh huh", but it sure makes you look close minded.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Classy, neo. No rebuttal. Just a stupid meme. Clearly you can't argue with me because you didn't come fully armed with all the facts.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

While we are certainly affecting evolution, it is by no means dead. A good example is medicine, which has allowed people to live who would otherwise have died. This means their genetic traits are more likely to be passed on. Most people would intuit that this is a bad thing because traits that would have killed us are allowed to remain, but there is no reason to believe such a fact is all negative

That isn't an improvement.

IT only means passing on 'bad' genetic traits.

Pre technology the pool would have become stronger.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

a reply to: schuyler

While we are certainly affecting evolution, it is by no means dead. A good example is medicine, which has allowed people to live who would otherwise have died. This means their genetic traits are more likely to be passed on. Most people would intuit that this is a bad thing because traits that would have killed us are allowed to remain, but there is no reason to believe such a fact is all negative

That isn't an improvement.

IT only means passing on 'bad' genetic traits.

Pre technology the pool would have become stronger.

No one said that evolution is always an improvement. It's just adaptation. It isn't directional.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

That seems to be one of the biggest misconceptions eh?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Well it sure as hell hasn't been.

Because without modern medicine, and modern technology within a year.

Over half the worlds population wouldn't exist.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: spy66

I do this often, and typically longer than two years. I'm still less hairy than a chimp.

I cut my fingernails weekly, though. Gotta keep my basses happy.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join