It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: secretboss

If formula-e racing cars evolved from formula 1 cars, and formula 1 cars evolved from...cars!!! Why are there still cars?!!

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
watch this, seriously.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
I suggest watching any video called what is evolution.

The youtube video begins, "What exactly is evolution?"

Then it follows the "question" with, "The theory of evolution--"

"-- doesn't explain how life began--"

Life from lifelessness. Didn't happen.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

sorry but we're not technically apes. we share a common ancestor. but separate species.
we are "like" a brilliant ape. genetically, we share more similarities than other species.

I know I'm being a little pedantic but...

link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

If formula-e racing cars evolved from formula 1 cars, and formula 1 cars evolved from...cars!!! Why are there still cars?!!

Planes trains and automobiles didn't evolve, they were manufactured. And all examples of the lineage can be visited in the various museums. Even Kitty Hawk.

link   

originally posted by: secretboss
Why are there still monkeys? Shouldnt they have all "evolved" into humans, or human-like beings by now?

How come chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans and other types of monkeys aren't building their own primitive civilizations? Where are their cave paintings?

If evolution was true, shouldnt monkeys be resembling primitive cavemen by now?

obviously ill informed on evolution. A monkey can't evolve into a human this isn't pokemon go..
edit on 11-7-2016 by ssenerawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

It's all theoretical...our next evolutionary jump could be a million years from now with possibly fewer toes..

Since our reliance on our ability to hunt prey and build has been greatly diminished it is possible that we devolve meaning perhaps we lose a toe down the road...again evolution is all theoretical..there are no absolutes..

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

When has Richard Dawkins said that?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Well I've seen 3 people give you basic explanations so far and your still asking the same question.

So here
We did not evolve from MONKEYS

We evolved from a species of GREAT APES(not monkeys) that no longer exists today

Now if you actually wanted to LEARN that should be more than enough info to get a curious mind pointed in the right direction.

But I'm sure you'll either ignore this completely or just move the goal post because your looking for confirmation of your own ideas and not, as your op suggests, looking for any actual information on leading ideas of our evolution.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It doesn't explain it tho, it just explains what happened after...

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Lets pretend for a moment we did do a direct evolution from a chimp and not a common ancestor.
The argument OPs makes is still silly.

if ice evolves from liquid water, why is there still liquid water?

See, even on the misinformed ridiculous argument, its still crazy easy to make them understand.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: georgeglass

Great question. I have asked the same thing many times.

I think we are alien to this planet!

Have you ever listened to the answer? We did not descend from monkeys. No one has ever said that. But monkeys and us descended from a common ancestor long ago. Monkeys aren't even in our direct line. We are one of the Great Apes along with chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, and gibbons.

We are not alien to this planet. The paleontology of our evolution is fairly well established now and also confirmed from a completely different direction by DNA. Only the ignorant persist with this issue.

You believe what "they" tell you but still you visit a conspiracy website......makes sense. *rolling my eyes*.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: secretboss
Why are there still monkeys? Shouldnt they have all "evolved" into humans, or human-like beings by now?

We didn't evolve from monkeys though. This is covered in high school biology class. Homo Sapiens Sapiens, which is us, are apes. We share a common ancestor with the other great apes, Gorillas, Orangutan, chimpanzee and bonobo. Monkeys have tails. Apes do not. There is no impetus for the other apes to evolve in a linear direction that follows a similar path as our own genus, Homo.

How come chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans and other types of monkeys aren't building their own primitive civilizations?

Again, none of the above are monkeys, they are all apes. Chimpanzee and Bonobo actually do have their own cultures. Can you articulate what you feel constitutes a civilization?

Where are their cave paintings?

There is some evidence that Chinpanzees have created art through the stacking of rocks but they are an entirely different species and genus from Homo Saliens Sapiens. There's no need for them to follow the evolutionary path of our genus and they live in entirely different ecological niches from us. Each of the other great apes has adapted to their specific niches. Their lack of complex art doesn't disprove evolution. Chimpanzees make tools and hunt for meat. Bonobos have a matriarchal society. They both certainly have their own cultures as well as rudimentary vocal language skills and the vocalizations vary from one group to another just like human languages.

If evolution was true, shouldnt monkeys be resembling primitive cavemen by now?

Why should they resemble cave men? Which by the way is an anachronistic way to view Pleistocene humans who created and built shelters. Early Modern Humans lives in a variety of ecological niches and caves didn't exist on most of them. But back to your question, evolution doesn't have a goal or an end game beyond "pass on your genes as many times as you can before you die to guarantee the future of your species". There is no requirement that evolution follows a specific, linear path with specific goals and achievements for any given species.

Modern Evolutionary Synthesis, as a Scientific Theory, is falsifiable. If evolution is false, why do we share such close genetic relationships with the other Great Apes? Why are we able to establish a molecular clock to estimate mutation rates and the predictions made by establishing the molecular clocks have been shown to be quite accurate? What aspects of MES do you believe to be untrue? There is no impetus for other apes to follow precisely in our footsteps. There are a host of environmental and ecological factors that have affected each of our ape cousins and helped to drive their own evolution in the directions they have gone.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: Abysha

sorry but we're not technically apes. we share a common ancestor. but separate species.
we are "like" a brilliant ape. genetically, we share more similarities than other species.

I know I'm being a little pedantic but...

As long as we're being pedantic, fairly recent changes in taxonomy (specifically the transition from paraphyletic clades to monophyletic clades) mean that, scientifically speaking, humans are, in fact, apes.

Humans, gorillas, gibbons share a common ancestor and are placed in the clade ‘Hominoidea’, that means human-like, but its actual synonym in common language is ‘apes.’

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Well, I fully agree with Richard Dawkins theory that extraterrestrials may have seeded life on earth, and that life on earth may contain the signature of an intelligent designer.

OK - you are familiar with Dawkins and post this question? I'm over with be gentile - you're just trolling boss - no quarter.
edit on 11-7-2016 by olbe66 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: chrismarco

The specific course of evolution is generally dictated by various "pressures" in the environment.

classic example

lets say some island has 1000s of hummingbirds of one species and they have beaks of varying lengths. The beak length of a baby is relative to the length of his/her parents beaks. A storm come and destroys all of the flowers small enough for the hummingbirds with short beaks to feed from. The hummingbirds with short beaks all die, so only the ones with long beaks will reproduce and all of their offspring will have the same long beaks as them. After this all of the hummingbirds on the island have only long beaks.

TaaDaa evolution.

link   
Oops wrong thread

edit on 11-7-2016 by peppycat because: scientific discussion? sorry folks

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: georgeglass
You believe what "they" tell you but still you visit a conspiracy website......makes sense. *rolling my eyes*.

"They" have been saying God did it for thousands of years, and executing anyone who questions it.

a conspiracy website does well in challenging old facts enforced by pain of death.

link   

originally posted by: Abysha
Saying humans evolved from monkeys is like saying that Pugs evolved from Labradors.

That's not how it works, at all. Pugs and Labradors both evolved from prehistoric wolves. Just like humans and monkeys both evolved from a distant ancestor. We are technically apes, you know.

Except pugs didn't evolve from wolves. The only reason we have pugs is because an intelligent designer interfered with natural breeding selection to make pugs.

Interesting, no?

link   
You might enjoy reading this, it could explane a lot. I dont surpport the idea but im not an expert.
phys.org...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join