It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25th Anniversary - Largest Mass UFO Sighting Ever Recorded - Mexico City, July 11, 1991 -Revisited-

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

25th Anniversary: Largest Mass UFO Sighting

Ever Recorded - Mexico City, July 11, 1991

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/mn578295e0.jpg[/atsimg]

Mexico City. One of the largest populated cities in the world. At the time with nearly 18 million inhabitants. Most of which were outside on that mostly-cloudy July day in anticipation of a very rare total solar eclipse. Many had fiestas, get-togethers, and other social gatherings to witness this amazing event.

This particular solar eclipse was rare because the totality phase (where the moon completely covers the sun) was one of the longest-lasting in history, clocking in at almost 7-minutes of totality due to the sun and moon being nearly perfectly center to each other. The alignment of this particular totality phase makes it rare in that it happens only once every 800 years.

(As a reference, the total solar eclipse coming up in 2017 for North America will only have a 2-minute, 43-second totality phase.)

While millions of people were outside watching this very rare, once-in-a-lifetime event, they also happened to notice a very bright object hovering in the sky. As the skies grew darker, the object became more prominent. All around the city and surrounding suburbs, eyes and cameras were pointed towards the sky. Recording not only the eclipse, but also the strange bright object appearing to hover high above over the city.

After all was said and done, over 100 videos of the object were examined from citizens scattered throughout the city, and the outlying suburbs. The Mexico City UFO case was touched-upon several times on shows like "Unsolved Mysteries" and "Sightings: The UFO Report". But only one program dedicated the whole hour+ to just this one incident. It was called "Messengers of Destiny" by Lee and Britt Elders:

On YouTube in 8-parts starting here: Part 1

The program examined numerous videos from witnesses, while also adding in the Mayan prophesy aspect of the time. It also includes several "experts" who give their own opinions as well.

When watching the videos and looking at the stills from the videos, it's apparent that there was a disc-shaped, metallic-looking object hovering over the city with the sun reflecting off of the top, and a shadow on the bottom. Indicating a 3-dimensional reflective object hovering in the sky:

Now, I'd like to pause right here for a moment to give a little background on myself. I've been a UFO researcher for most of my life. I read every UFO book the school library had. I rented every UFO video that ever came through the video stores. I watched every UFO program that came on TV.

One case that has always stood out more than just about any other was this one. Not only for the fact that it was witnessed and recorded by so many people. But the images and videos appeared to show an actual disc-shaped craft hovering in the sky while millions watched. So, for most of my life, I've believed that there was an actual alien craft hovering over Mexico City showing its presence during a time when everyone would be looking up at the heavens.

Until now.

The internet back then wasn't even a fraction of what it is today. Information was much harder to come by. While doing the research for this thread, I've discovered facts that refute the claim that a craft was hovering over the city.

There are actually very few websites online that deal with this UFO case. Most don't even go into very much detail at all. One website that does have quite a bit of detail is Astronomy UFO by a Mr. Tim Printy. After examining the videos, and using a program called "Starry Night Backyard" to view locations of stars and planets at the time of the eclipse, his conclusion was that the UFO that appeared to hover of Mexico City was actually the planet Venus. Mr. Printy's findings are very detailed and accurate as far as I can tell.

During the totality phase, a number of planets and bright stars were visible. The planets visible were Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter. Anyone who has dabbled in UFO research for any length of time will know that Venus has been the culprit of countless UFO sightings.

Because this eclipse was such an amazing event due to its rarity, I also found many videos on YouTube and elsewhere of other people who recorded the eclipse from that day and put them online for all to see.

Popular radio talk show host Chris Duel (San Antonio, TX) along with Henry Iglesias recorded this video of the eclipse. At about 3:20 into the video, he captures the Mexico City UFO, but knows it's a star or planet:

The image from the video looks just like the ones from Mexico City: shiny reflections on top, shadow on the bottom.

What my research has turned up, though, is that the cameras of the time didn't have the greatest CCD's. They created "shadows" underneath a bright object as an artifact of processing the image. That would be why the image appears to be a 3-dimensional object reflecting light off the top and shadowed on the bottom.

In fact, though, Venus was actually a partial crescent that day. Which is why the "UFO" appears to be round at the top, but flat on the bottom.

In this next video recorded in Baja, Mexico, at 5:33 he actually shows and names Venus, Jupiter, and Mercury. Here's a still from the video showing Venus:

There are more videos of the eclipse available online that either show the stars/planets during the eclipse, or have people calling the objects out by name to others off-camera.

One final fact about this case to note is that the "UFO" was only visible for about 30-minutes. Since the totality phase of the eclipse was almost 7 minutes, that leaves only about 12-minutes before and 12 minutes after the eclipse that the "UFO" was visible. Which is another reason why it would have been Venus. As the skies drew darker, Venus became brighter and more visible before the eclipse. Then the skies would get brighter after the eclipse and Venus would fade away.

Finally, not one witness ever claimed that the object moved or sped away. It was completely still. It was just there, and then it wasn't.

Conclusion

Astronomers, trained and amateur, knew which bright lights were stars and planets. The casual observer with little to no education in astronomy will see something as bright as Venus and think it was something else. Just as Venus has been blamed for everything else other than what it really is, countless times throughout history.

With Venus being the third-brightest object in our sky next to the Sun and Moon, but not actually large-enough to know what it is for certain, and with the lack of Astronomy education in schools, Venus will continue to be misidentified for years to come.

edit on 10-7-2016 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Nice Bonez. Case closed. Gonna burst a lot of bubbles though. Party pooper!

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Nice Bonez. Case closed. Gonna burst a lot of bubbles though. Party pooper!

Hey, I bursted my own bubble as well! The truth shall set you free!

Thank you, though.

edit on 10-7-2016 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Add a digital camera and, oh my.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
That doesn't explain the phenomenon at all.

It my explain the event but doesn't answer a damn thing about the "phenomenon". *sigh*

There is way much more involved than a blinking star.

I say what I say because as a long time researcher you say "one event stands out" really? Doesn't to me. There are crazy stories that continue from time immemorial that is far more interesting than a flashing light in the sky.

I get it though, we need "physical" evidence. Good luck with that.

edit on 10-7-2016 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

It wasn't really blinking, but can you be more specific?

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Just did.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Well it wasn't a "star" either was it? Thought you would've caught that too. Need some java?

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

Just did.
Oh. I see. You weren't talking about this particular phenomenon. I don't think the OP was doing anything but that. You agree that the sighting during the eclipse was Venus?

Do you think there is a single explanation for UFO phenomena in general?

edit on 7/10/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

Just did.
Oh. I see. You weren't talking about this particular phenomenon. You agree that the sighting during the eclipse was Venus?

Do you think there is a single explanation for UFO phenomena in general?

Yes I agree and sure:

Some of the best researchers out there have already concluded: they're here, always have been, always will be, do not originate from another planet and morph their appearance and behavior to match the current generational social construct.

In other words, it seems as though, even if we were capable of nailing down exactly what we think they are they wouldn't be that anymore.

Personally, I liken them to the controllers of the control system. i highly doubt they have any desire to give you the things that you want.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

And if you come back with an insightful post versus a witty post I'll # myself. And I'm squeezing the cheeks in anticipation.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Part of the "phenomenon" is that too many people can't recognize what they're looking at when they see a blinking star, an aircraft, a bundle of balloons, a planet.

It's frustrating when someone posts a video of a bundle of balloons tumbling through the sky and calls it a living atmospheric morphing creature. You'd think as slow as they fly, we would have caught one by now.

Or posts a video of an alien craft parked in the aky which turns out to be a star flashing due to scintillation.

A major part of the "phenomenon" is people not getting the education to recognize what they're seeing instead of instantly jumping on the alien bandwagon.

That doesn't mean aliens haven't been here or aren't visiting us now in one form or another.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Ugh. I absolutely hate the term alien.

My point is this incident neither proves or disproves the UFO phenomenon, rather simply disproves a single sighting.

As a long time UFO researcher, to use this example to explain the phenomenon is weak on discredits the actual phenomenon. As a researcher, I'd assume one has interest in researching the actual phenomenon not debunking a particular event. ...as a long time researcher I'd reckon one would use this as an example of what causes confusion in the discussion.

You position it as : you have a certain level of authority "as a long time researcher and using this example to demonstrate how a mass sighting event can be debunked. But as a log time researcher you would know there is something there yet to truly be explained. Yet, that is not the vibe one is left with reading this thread.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

As a researcher, I'd assume one has interest in researching the actual phenomenon not debunking a particular event.
How can such a diverse collection of phenomena be researched without looking at the individual events?

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I think you're getting off track. Nowhere was it said or hinted at that I was trying to explain away the entire UFO phenomenon. Only this one event.

There is a "Venus is a UFO, alien craft, everything other than a planet" phenomena, though. And that was already explained in the OP.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

So than you believe there is a genuine phenomena outside this event?

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

As a researcher, I'd assume one has interest in researching the actual phenomenon not debunking a particular event.
How can such a diverse collection of phenomena be researched without looking at the individual events?

You can't. My point is: as a long time researcher of the phenomenon, it would seem prudent to focus on positive examples not negative ones. In that, most researchers already know most are missidentified natural phenomenon bit focusing on them gets us no closer.

This particular incident is a great example of misidentification. I guess I'm not enjoying the focus you guys are. I don't care what's not the phenomenon as most instances are not. If I was a "researcher" I'd focus on what is.

That said, good job on the analysis. *yawn*

Just wish that kind of focus was dedicated to the "what the #" experience.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   

If I was a "researcher" I'd focus on what is.
That's exactly what was done in this thread. The UFO seen during the eclipse was Venus. It was identified so no longer is unidentified.

edit on 7/10/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

My point is: as a long time researcher of the phenomenon, it would seem prudent to focus on positive examples not negative ones. In that, most researchers already know most are missidentified natural phenomenon bit focusing on them gets us no closer.

I am a bit confused by your use of "positive" and "negative" examples. What would be considered a positive example? And why would positively identifying something be considered negative? What are we trying to get closer to?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

That was an enjoyable read but the cat is not out of the bag, yet. Your (and others') conclusion is that you have been convinced that what the public videotaped was the planet Venus. Never mind that the sighting started just about 1pm in bright daylight witih a blue sky full of small-size and large-size clouds. Show me a photo or a video of Venus under those circumstances. I think it's a ridiculous explanation. Perhaps it is true for the videos that were shot just prior and during darkness. But for daylight, that's a non-human object!

Back in 2005 when YouTube was founded one of the first videos to grab viewer's eyes were the Mexican UFO videos. As it was pointed out then before the Venus explanation was pooh-poohed by educated watchers who mentioned that the UFO could be seen to spin and as it moved it left a trail of what some called "smoke" with a better explanation being ionization. I can't vouch for either explanation. The spinning can be seen in the videos as well as the many color shifts in the space around the "craft".

I just went through the trouble of grabbing 12 screen shots of what I describe above and I thought that 12 could be a bit much although each screen grab is different but I didn't want glazed looks. I thought I should embed the particular video I made the screen grabs from but I didn't know how to embed videos here. I did a search and viewed the first result that featured a how-to-do-it video. But the screen display didn't match our present layout so I thought I was in trouble but I did another search and added 2016 so that I could find newer results. I did and now I present the video that shows what I describe above. You can almost tell where I grabbed the shots, you would have also.

But first teasers from the video:
Venus, hey?

Color-inverted, notice trail behind "craft" - This doesn't show a longer trail, difficult to pause video exactly. Via Picasa.

Same as color-inverted but "Heat map", ditto Picasa

UFO Sightings - Videos of 1991 Mexico Solar Eclipse

Still think it's Venus? I hope not. We don't need no stinkin' planet!

edit on 07/03/2016 by klassless because: To correct grammar.

edit on 07/03/2016 by klassless because: To correct grammar.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join