It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HO-LY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! Suggestions???? QUICK!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

LOL if it made your eyes water, I'd say that's right up there with skunk. From what I've read feces and rotting flesh contain the same chemical compound as skunk stink.

A friend of ours grew up in the city. When he was 9/10 he moved to the country to live with his cattle rancher dad. While out exploring our friend came upon a dead bloated cow. Laying out in the hot sun, it was swollen twice its size, the hide stretched tight.

First thing he thought was country trampoline and proceeded to give it a go. He got up on that thing and with the first jump it exploded all over him/his dog. He said that was the longest walk home ever. His step mom hosed him/the dog off in the front yard. He said the smell/sight of it haunted him for weeks after, still does. LOL

Funeral homes/crime scene cleanup might be a good source for deodorizing tips. Time and treating it everyday is about all we can do for really bad smells. I'd fill a kiddie pool with fresh water/deodorizer of choice and let the dog play in it every day for the rest of his life, if he will.
edit on 7-2-2016 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This just happened to our Australian Shepherd about two weeks ago. Let him out at night to go and on this particular evening the power was out from the bad storms that had rolled through earlier. It was black as the Ace of Spades out in the back field, so I think the dog ran into a skunk who decided to do some exploring in the area because it felt safer with the back field being so dark.

He got nailed right in the face full bore like yours did. He was rolling around on the ground rubbing his face on the ground because his eyes were burning from the spray. We gave him two baths right away because the stench was just so overpowering. We used a mix of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and soap. It really knocked the stench way back, but to this day when you smell the top of his head it STILL very faintly smells like skunk. The mixture we used should be used as soon as possible after the spraying for best results, but it couldn't hurt to give it a try as it will still reduce the ranky stench even after some time has passed since the dog was sprayed.
edit on 2-7-2016 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I found this to be VERY interesting as I use this stuff on everything now too so I thought I'd see if anyone else had, here's what google gave me - the site also had great ideas for getting the odor removed from other things too. Neatest thing about this remedy is it is COMPLETELY safe for your dog unless they are allergic to coconut oil. Oxyclean can hurt your animal's skin be careful with that junk and especially combining it with sodium...even more possibility of reactions then adding peroxide...gonna bleach your doggie's fur and possibly have it falling out, itchy, etc. Coconut oil shouldn't have any of those negative effects with the added bonus of being GREAT for their fur and internal health so it's ok for them to lick it off, no rinsing necessary:

4. Coconut oil on the affected areas after bathing is the biggest secret to our success. My mom thinks coconut oil is the answer to 9 out of 10 problems, (love you Mom!), and in this case she was correct. It seems to isolate the spray and trap the smell. Whereas I did not want the dog within three feet of me this morning, as soon as I put coconut oil over the area he was sprayed, (his entire head!), I could no longer smell him unless I put my nose up against his fur. HUGE IMPROVEMENT.
oliviaobryon.com...
edit on 2-7-2016 by Opportunia because: additional info added.

edit on 2-7-2016 by Opportunia because: clarify post

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Opportunia

Hmmmm...maybe I'll try that!

Anything's got to be better than this!!

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Get the Organic, Extra Virgin - has more healing properties than the more processed types! And it IS SUPERB for MANY things

edit on 2-7-2016 by Opportunia because: (no reason given)

I'd still give him a REAL good bath first but mebe yu already did that.
edit on 2-7-2016 by Opportunia because: additional suggestion

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
My dog got it that bad once. It was so bad that it didn't even smell like skunk for the first few days. Tried everything, and after 50 baths and 7 months, I could still smell it occasionally

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

First thing he thought was country trampoline and proceeded to give it a go. He got up on that thing and with the first jump it exploded all over him/his dog. He said that was the longest walk home ever. His step mom hosed him/the dog off in the front yard. He said the smell/sight of it haunted him for weeks after, still does. LOL

Jeez, that's funny and appalling at the same time. How the heck was that the 'first thing he thought??' There must have been bugs buzzing around it and eyes all rotted out or eaten.

Reminds me of something I overheard in the gym a while ago. This guy said he was called out to remove a dead cow from a path. It was rigored with legs up in the air and he said they'd tied a rope to a leg to haul it away. The leg pulled off and much retching at the stink ensued lol.

I've been reading up on methods to remove skunk spray and it looks like they ought to weaponise it lol. Spraying it would make a great crowd dispersal technique! Dropping skunk stink on enemy positions sure would create confusion and distract them from their duties. It also crossed my mind that it'd be more effective than the dye used by security firms to protect shipments of cash.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BadBoYeed

That's exactly how this was, it didn't smell like skunk at all at first!! I think it was just so overwhelming it knocked out our olfactory glands.

He got HAMMERED!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

The dead cow trampoline reminds me of the misadventures with dead whales you often see.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Lol at the douche purchases!

Please avoid harsh chemicals on this poor baby's eyes' - I don't think oxy clean is a good idea! Just going to take time I think!

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
We've now bathed him in all the remedies posted. The peroxide, the oxyClean, the vinegar, the soap, the tomato juice, the douche, the baking soda, the...everything!

All the windows of our house are open. He didn't get slammed...WE ALL, got slammed!

He's had so many baths, more than he's ever had. The last thing was slathering him with coconut oil. All the other dogs think he's a "treat", like a Mar's bar, Almond Joy or a Mounds bar.

They're liking him...and he cant come in!\

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Oh wow! Thats ruff! For the dog that is. Skunks are one of natures most inconspicuous and most dangerous animals. Poor dog probably didn't know what he was getting himself into. Well! Now he knows to fear the white striped little weasel.

Some vids of skunk attacks I came across on the net, in the first one that boxer looked like he was ready to pass out right there on the concrete. And in the second one, not much of an attack, but you never know what the little fella might do.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Best data I could find is this -

How to Remove the Skunk Smell from Dogs

No idea about the effectiveness. Highly recommend checking with a vet for that. All I ever heard was tomato juice. Wow, sympathies!! I'd be choking. Even one spraying near a road kills my sinuses. Hope you have found something that works!

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   

A "flesh interface"! (_9Mother_9Horse_9Eyes reference)

Nothing to add but feel sorry for the poor fellow. And best of luck!

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Update...

The coconut oil seems to have worked really well. Last night he got his 4th bath using the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, vinegar, oxyclean, and water solution. Then we slathered him down with coconut oil again. He was kinda likin' being a 56lb dog-treat, with the other dogs just lickin' on him.

This morning we gave him a bath with just Dawn dish soap and he's smelling INFINITELY better, and then a blow dry style job (which he was diggin'!). I wish I could say the same for the house, but I guess a fella's got to go with the little things, right?

So there's that.

edit on 7/3/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Nature's Miracle. It's available at pets stores.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Does he wake you up each morning by cuddling next to your face?

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

My dog bacon found a fresh pile of bear poop and decided to roll around as fast and furiously as possible before I was able to catch up to him and usher him away from it. Man, was THAT interesting

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
See here:

To start, after coaxing three separate skunks to spray, the pair finally got one to release its torrent of thiols. Then they scoured their skunk-soaked clothes and bathroom in a variety of home remedies, followed by a sniff test to determine whether each potential solution was confirmed, busted or plausible.

1) Beer — busted. Still skunky and not like bad beer.

2) Tomato paste — plausible. Eau de skunk still snuck through the acidic sauce.

3) Feminine hygiene product — busted. Douche doesn't double as a skunk scrub.

4) Commercial skunk-scent remover — plausible. Orangey with a hint of skunk.

5) Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap — confirmed. From skunky stench to squeaky clean.
www.discovery.com...

You can probably find a way to watch the Mythbusters episode online.

posted on Jul, 3 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

YAY Coconut oil wins again! Listen it helps with SO many things...itchy eyes, digestion health, it kills athletes foot, just rub on and put your socks over it, no more smell or fungi. I even use it to help keep my cast iron pans happy between use. Burns OMGOSH it helps a LOT with burns, cuts.

So glad to hear your dog is finally getting free of the parfum de sa mésaventure

edit on 3-7-2016 by Opportunia because: spelling

edit on 3-7-2016 by Opportunia because: spelling+

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join