It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Start seeing motorcycles"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm going to get annihilated for this....but here goes

Can those of you about to fry me at least ATTEMPT to read this next sentence first???

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ALL MOTORCYCLES! READ THAT AGAIN FIVE TIMES

it's insane I have to be this blunt but I know how ATS gets sometimes (see also...constantly)

Let's get to it

All over I see bumper stickers and signs that say "Start Seeing Motorcycles." I actually DO agree...to a point. Drivers have GOT to start paying attention to well....everything

ONCE AGAIN....NOT SAYING EVERYONE

But I am so sick of this "start seeing motorcycles" when I see a good deal of them lane splitting, 20 mph over the limit, swerving in and out, no helmet, sandals, shorts, with no jacket. I am supposed to feel sorry for these spazzes? This is not as much a judgment call as it may seem. Of course I don't want to see anyone hurt but frankly I can't find my way to feeling sorry for motorcyclists that pull this crap...They are going to wreck and chances are very high it will be their fault.

Another ambulance call that could have been avoided....but yes it's all the drivers' fault

rant over....I know I will likely get beat down...I am prepared

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

You are so right. Had one the other day weaving in and out of traffic with no helmet to boot.

How about I'll start seeing motorcycles when they realize they're a motor vehicle that has to obey all traffic laws like cars do

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I doubt you're going to be annihilated, there seems to be two camps on the subject of late. There are those of us that are totally sick of the crap motorcycles pull and there are the people with the bumper stickers who, at least in my experience, the majority of the time will defend the crap to the death. It seems they are willfully ignorant as long as they have a slogan to toss around.

What annoys the hell out of me is that where I am it doesn't much matter if it's your fault or not, you're going to be sued if driving a car that comes into any kind of contact with a motorcycle. Short of being rear ended by a Kawasaki doing 3x the speed limit with a BAC of .2 who was caught on at least one camera behaving erratically... you're going to lose that case.
edit on 7/1/16 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
What I see is riders with no helmets. Why should I take their safety seriously if they dont?

And put on a damn muffler!

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I'm a motorcyclist and I have come to the conclusion that most people are not fully conscious, how many times now do you have to always say things twice to everyone ? everyone appears to be in a state where they have become the "Walking Dead" or the "Waking Dead" and are off in some kind of stupor.

Now put these people into a car and not only are they in this state but the road noise must put them into a comatose state to the point they don't comprehend anything going on around them..case in point. 5 Years ago I pulled up to a stop light to turn right on a highway that utilized a pressure pad to change the light to red for me to turn. Now the bike was too light to activate it and after 2 red light changes of it not activating I motioned to the driver behind me to move forward onto the pad to activate it.

Now this complete and utter moron just looked at me, I motioned for him to drive onto the cut out pad and he didn't seem to even remotely understand what I was motioning. I run that red light baby! and left that "drainer" to sit there and watch 50 more red light changes before he got his peanut sized brain into gear.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Well! 2 April's ago, Saturday the 5th at 1:30pm. I was on my Honda Shadow 750. I was wearing a florescent green jacket. And wouldn't you now it, a guy pulled out right in front of me. I ditched the bike, and rolled 20 feet.
I broke my leg, Tibial Plateau break. Helmet didn't get a scratch, and the kind gentleman moved his car back where he was pulling out. He proceeded to call 911. So when the police arrived, it just looked like I just skidded for no reason. Luckily there was a witness that saw what really happend.

So please pay attention to Motorcycle's on the road. There are those of us that follow the rules unlike the Crotch-Rocket pricks. 😊

Ironically I was headed to the Fire Department, but it was the Fire department that came too me😁
edit on 1-7-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I ride and see some of my fellow riders doing really stupid stuff and can`t really argue with someone who says they deserfve whatever they get.When you do 100 mph wheelies by a car [or us cruiser guys] you are responsible for your own injuries,but!!!I have had many idiots in cars pull across in front of me,nearly rearend me,cross the center line,etc.Everyone should try to watch out for each other and use common sense,but it`s never going to happen.So,if you ride,remember there`s someone out there that's going to try to kill you every time you ride...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
About half of all motorcycle fatalities involve high speed and / or alcohol. The other half are mostly someone turning left in front of the bike. I ride a Harley. Been there - done that. The guy was three times over the legal limit. Don't think he would have seen a fire engine. Don't drink and drive. Don't text and drive. You'll see more motorcycles. FWIW, I totally agree with the OP about squids and those Billy Badasses with a doo rag and no helmet.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

People on motorcycles need to be driving defensively and assume that the other driver is oblivious to them. If you are going to drive a motorcycle you also need to be smart enough to take responsibility for your own safety.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
That's some of the reason why many of them die. Most of the reason though is from us not paying attention. Distracted from actually driving. People think they are capable of many actions at the same time....A few generations ago, when time was slower, I agree. Time is fast now. Motorists kill motorcycle riders now on the regular

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
A friend of mine used to ride a motorcycle in the city.

He didn't weave in and out of the traffic - he rode in the lane as if he was driving a car.

That got a lot of resentment from car drivers who thought he was taking up space that should have been available to a car.

Where's the logic? Most of the cars transported one person - the driver- which is the same number as my friend on his bike.

May I ask - are motorbikes required to have their headlights on during the day in all the States of America? It really does make them easier to see.
edit on 2-7-2016 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

Here anyone can buy the police driver's handbook. www.roadcraft.co.uk... Motorcycle version also available. www.roadcraft.co.uk... www.abovetopsecret.com...

After learning this system it's possible to look at a line of traffic and see who is using the system and who is following the crowd. The majority of the traffic is usually following almost exactly the same path, like a snake, as if they had no choice about positioning of their vehicle and had to follow the vehicle in front. Occasionally you'll see one vehicle out of line positioned in the safest, most advantageous way. That driver has likely studied Roadcraft and is more aware of their surroundings, including approaching motorcycles.

edit on 2 7 2016 by Kester because: addition

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Agreed completely.

I see more reckless motorcycle riders than cars in Florida. A vast majority of the time it is sport bikes.

I have unfortunately had to work several fatal motorcycle accidents in my career. Most of the time it is due to the rider going 100MPH+ and the vehicle that pulls out in front of the bike thinks that the right of way is clear, because a second prior it was. Seemingly out of nowhere, the bike appears and the accident occurs.

Also, I was rear ended by a sport bike in my car as he was racing over a local bridge. I didn't change lanes, I didn't pull out in front of him etc. I was simply cruising along when out of no where I was rear ended.

Of course he didn't have insurance and I had to eat $3000 worth of damage to my car...

edit on 2-7-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

As the owner of a motorcycle I have this to say. Put down that GD phone. Stop turning around to do whatever with your kids.

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR ENVIRONMENT.

When you are the driver you have a larger responsibility to the public at large. If something is going on inside your vehicle PULL OVER TO DEAL WITH IT.

Finally, LOOK AND KEEP LOOKING BOTH WAYS, CHECK ALL YOUR MIRRORS, LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDERS. Motorcyclists are dying because you are more interested in beating traffic than you are about driving responsibly.

In response to the obnoxious biker comment - the bikers the OP describes are the minority. I apologize for their behavior. As a biker all I can do is apologize for them and promise you that I will obey the laws in their stead.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: mymymy

So that one guy represents the behavior of all motorcyclists and because of this one person you will not be aware of your surroundings thus increasing the chance of vehicular fatalities? Good logic there. How about you just start seeing motorcycles instead of being a typical angry and selfish human?

OP didn't realize that a majority of car drivers believe there is a pecking order for road rights. They believe it goes like this:

1. Trucks and cars
2. Motorcycles
3. Bicycles

Those in the lower rankings must yield to those above them. Maybe it's the extra two wheels that makes them feel important. No one knows. Is all I can say is "is that a person on two wheels? Better honk my truck horn at em yuck yuck yuck". Maybe their suspenders are pulling too hard against their shoulders which causes the brain to become too distantly separated from the rest of the body. Maybe they're just ignorant white trash. No one can know for sure.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

A suicide rushing noisily to the spot where it will happen.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Lane splitting is a necessity on a bike. Forward motion is crucial. Going 3mph on 1000ccs is difficult and safe for no one. The wobble and eventual fall over from such low speed is an event to be avoided. Motorcycles are no lightweight toys.

But I do agree riders need to excercise motor alertness and care when out and about.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rubicon3

A suicide rushing noisily to the spot where it will happen.

Clever. Yours?

Very true.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I agree with you entirely on the aspect of the behavior of what would appear to be the majority of riders who are not the "grizzled" looking, hard core riders. You know, the ones who appear to belong to a gang

It is very rare that I see anyone outside of that group driving sanely on motorcycles.

Now, with regards to the attire of riders.

Personally, I feel that if you decide to forego a helmet...or a seatbelt for that matter...the government has no right to tell you that you cannot. At that point, the individual is taking responsibility for potentially disastrous outcomes because of their own personal choices.

HOWEVER

If I am in an accident with a motorcyclist, and they chose not to wear a helmet.....guess what? Their added medical bills drives EVERYONE's insurance premiums up.

So, if you decide not to wear proper attire...... you should pay a significantly higher premium, IMHO.

Not only for your motorcycle insurance, but your health insurance as well.

Your personal decisions impact us all financially.

posted on Jul, 2 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Here is how I like to get to work ladies

"Dodgin' the cages"

edit on 7 by Mandroid7 because: added2

top topics

<<   2 >>

join