It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A snowflake feels the heat at work.....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Snowflakes basically want the poop to run uphill.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

As a young person and Trump supporter I'd have to say no. I think it's more based on the individual and people do like complaining.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Is funny.

Still, I've seen more than three high level people that fall asleep in meetings in the last few years. Management that have left entire teams without work for over twenty months and then claimed the teams were being 'dramatic' for going to HR to ask for work. Another manager that promoted two unqualified staff into writing technical system design documentation and when they said they weren't qualified they were told to, 'seize the opportunity or get off the train.' That project failed.

One baby boomer who was too afraid to talk to their staff so they had other people do it for them. More than half a dozen managers who made gant charts for projects that didn't exist. Several more who cancelled projects because it was 'too hard' to do it the proper way, then subsequently failed auditing standards. Several who have encouraged open bullying and exclusion of staff. Several examples of staff buying the stupidest things to maintain budgets. One hired a helicopter because they didn't want to use a car. During the fraud hearing they said it was because they needed to be seen to be important. Another started a real estate company, didn't bother developing any land, and proceeded to spend the money on whatever they liked. Their reason? "It was my money."

I've seen companies attempt to hire forensic teams to find evidence of 'correct dismissal.' If you think this isn't a thing you're right, but they had just fired someone claiming they had spent money they hadn't, so they wanted something else. Anything else.

Have also seen the strangest open office standards, performance metrics, and nepotistic stupidity you could imagine. Programmers with sales targets. Promotions based on transparent feedback that the entire office can read... no one ever received a bad write up. Instead of scrapping it they doubled down and insisted that if feedback wasn't recorded it wouldn't be counted resulting in week long arguments during performance reviews. Why? No negative feedback except when five or so people decided to fire some person named Jim. Person had a body odor problem due to cancer. They claimed Jim was lazy and hard to work with. Jim hadn't been assigned anything to do that year.

You know what? I'll take the shoe petition thanks.

Compared to everything above, the shoe petition seems like a demonstration of honesty and even potential business acumen if I can get the person to write business proposals instead of footwear petitions.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

We accompanied the proposal with a petition, signed by all of the interns (except for one who declined to sign it)

Hire that person.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Yeah, I wouldn't give 100% of all situations blame to employees.

I worked up through construction type jobs. I do have a lot of office type job friends.
The office politics sound like a nightmare.

Highschool all over again. Backstabbing claw to the top.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

It is funny where my thinking goes, I realize that. But to me this represents exactly where the world is at now as far as the differences being BLACK and WHITE.

Let's hope HR picked a reasonable individual to be part of our team, short of working for a company who doesn't value their staff, stupid company that they are. HR, sometimes....

HR, or whoever does the hiring, makes mistakes more often than not, in my real world experience. So I would NOT value the new employees 'ideas' until proven worthy.

A new person has a grievance, let's teach them we are all adults, valued and discuss the grievance

So you want to wear different clothes, I understand that
But Because of safety, professionalism, corporate identity we wear these clothes,they make people identify our brand with these key indicators...

Or be a dick and patronise people,

I see this as the man that is in charge of the company can run it any way he see's fit. Some newbie, fresh out of school, wants to come in and make changes on day one, without proving he is worthy of listening to first. If I was running the company this newbie would not be worthy of any thought and would be on the street.

If he, however, came in and showed some humility, did what was asked and earned my respect, then perhaps I would consider him worthy of wasting thought on. This is a BUSINESS, not some theoretical debate class.

What you are talking about is appeasing a new employees 'feelings' so THE COMPANY proves it is loyal to the NEW guy.

Ass backwards, IMHO of course.

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Snowflakes basically want the poop to run uphill.

Exactly.

Said what I just said but SO much easier.

edit on 6 30 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

this is correct. when you are first hired, you put your head down and prove that you can do your job. once you prove you can do your job, you can see about expanding your influence. if people respect you...its easy to expand influence.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

As per 90-95% of the time, I agree with you BFFT.

To the rest of you non ATS staff, what the hell, yes I kissed a staffs ass, but my statement IS true.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

originally posted by: olaru12
Is this a new trend....

Trump supporters ragging on young people? The new scapegoats because they know continued insults toward minorities and women is a losing proposition.

Just curious...

What is your hard on for Trump? You sound obsessed.

If you think adolescent insults will in anyway deter me from exercising my 1st amendment rights of free speech...Think again!

edit on 30-6-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

What a happy environment that makes for.

This kid tried to communicate in what they felt was a reasonable way and received, imo, a very unreasonable response.

It only goes to show how little value employers need to place on employees or interns these days. One word out of line and they're all expendable.

I have also seen this side of management in the 'real' world.

There needs to be an ability to learn and better the company from RESPECTED employee's.

Again, as in the real world, I have seen this play out personally. I had been promoted to a well paying, important job in the company. I had invested 8 years earning their respect.

And yet the 'inner circle' as we called them was NOT approachable. I ended up leaving after feeling too much of my soul 'sucked out' every time I swiped my card to punch in.

There needs to be middle ground, as in everything in life.

But I still agree with the OP, this ability to change things needs to be earned.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

the thing about your soul being sucked out....it'll regenerate.
The trade off is the discomfort you exchange for the experience.

Which i think is something folks miss. Too many people work for the money instead of the experience. Money is only satisfying for so long...but the reward of enriching experiences makes poor pay tolerable.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
When you are first hired, you put your head down and prove that you can do your job. Once you prove you can do your job, you can see about expanding your influence.
And this is a tough lesson to learn for some, but one that I have found to be true. Key word 'found'. It took me a a couple of serious head slaps when I was young but I caught on.

Coming out of college and spending all that time and money to get ones ideal job can be blinding. "Ah, my ideal job". One where I am treated like a person of worth, one where my experience and insights can be held as valuable. In a field for which I have been trained. I can see this young person wanting to add to the overall harmony of the company. But she made one very big mistake.

Rather than making a simple suggestion to management or making inquiries into the issue, she and others wrote up a petition and all but one signed it and presented it to management.
(Management head exploding sound.)
"This is not just a simple intern, it is a bunch of interns with a petition. UNION, UNION UNION. Bust em now before they mutate into a UNION."

And who got fired? Just the one person? NOPE. All who signed the petition. Nip that commie threat in the bud.

I'd be willing to bet that that was one thing this young person had not had a class in while in high school or college, the immense fear and hatred of anything resembling a union in our modern day American companies.

So, as you can guess, I chalk up this young persons problem here as youthful naivete that very likely will not be attempted so confidently in the future as getting fired from an internship is a fairly healthy head slap and quite an eye opener.( mine were)

You however seem to want to put the blame on not only one individual but a whole class or generation of individuals that you are defining for yourself in derogatory terms--and--then--spreading--that--poisonous--venom--across-the--internet--

"Snowflake" is a new " in crowd " 'good ole boy ' slogan that has caught on recently. It is a word, and like all words it works to focus ones developing consciousness of previously loosely formed and speculative mental formations and helps turn them into concrete memes that then, if accepted by the thinker, turns into a set pattern of thought on the issue that forever limits ones ability to consider alternate possibilities.

I urge you Fides, S-T-O-P___I-T...For your own good, stop using that word. You are only locking up your own brain into an emotionally loaded circle. Snowflakes bad, bad snowflakes. Snowflakes bad, bad snowflakes. That is unless you enjoy being a person who trains their minds to rely on circular reasoning, then go right ahead cuz you would not be interested in listening to me or anyone else who does not fit within that small circular ball of hatred.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This could be looked at as an action taken to preserve the company policy and culture.

As if you're the owner of a company with certain ways and all of the sudden you get a liberal-progressive "everybody should do as they feel" uprising from the employees to overthrow the current culture.

Honestly, swift move by the management to weed out these interns before they infect the regular employees with this "self-entitlement" type of thinking.

And note that I'm in my mid 20's and can clearly understand the problem in the work place caused by the liberal mindset of most millennials.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I feel I need to add to my last post so you can see where I am coming from.

This topic, as you can probably tell, hits a sore spot with me.

I worked at a pharmaceutical company that made IV and injectable drugs. I was a setup guy that was responsible for all the equipment used for the CLEAN (sterile) filling rooms. I had to pre build the filling machines per batch record and sterilize EVERYTHING that went in. It was a very record and document intensive job, as it SHOULD be.

HOWEVER, management was ALWAYS more interested in quantity over quality and they took this out on the employee's, expecting quality AND quantity in a very unrealistic way.
Some people, in order to keep their paycheck, 'sold their souls' to the company when they realized that in order to keep their jobs they would have to accept putting the public at risk.

EVERYONE I respected in that company either got fired or quit because they would not compromise their integrity for the mighty dollar.

Scary thing is this company is still one of the major producers of Heparin in the world.

So I see both sides. Just with reality thrown in.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

"This is not just a simple intern, it is a bunch of interns with a petition. UNION, UNION UNION. Bust em now before they mutate into a UNION."

This is exactly what I'm saying! From a management perspective it is to risky to give voice to these people

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

originally posted by: butcherguy

I fail to see where you came off as grumpy here.

You pointed your finger, called a spade a spade, and not surprisingly, a few whiny babies are calling you a meany.

It is actually funny.

Dude dont be such a snowflake

I fail to see how laughing at people like you makes me a snowflake. But if that is what you see, have happy fun.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
It's the middle of summer and I need to bust out the snow shovel already.... Snowing pretty hard in here.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

the thing about your soul being sucked out....it'll regenerate.
The trade off is the discomfort you exchange for the experience.

Which i think is something folks miss. Too many people work for the money instead of the experience. Money is only satisfying for so long...but the reward of enriching experiences makes poor pay tolerable.

It has regenerated, but only by leaving.

In a weekly, unending cycle it had a sum negative, soul stealing end effect.

I agree some jobs can regenerate in a 24hr cycle, NO job is perfect.

I couldn't agree more about the money aspect. While you do need money, more is not always better.

Relating that to my former job:
I was happy in lower paying positions at my previous company.

It was only after my promotion to more critical tasks that I became aware of the EVIL at the top. I guess ignorance IS bliss.

Funny, kind of like politics, and a great many other organizations in the world.

The key I think is finding your 'regeneration' balance in life.

Thanks for posting that

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

We'll have to agree to partially disagree

I'm all for a bit of youthful enthusiasm and employees taking enough interest in their working environment to present new ideas without fear of censure.

Of course, you'd hope they had their minds on the job and not just the state of their shoes.

Some time ago a friend of mine was having a problem with his wife and we were discussing it like adults, trying to think of a reasonable and responsible way to deal with the situation. A much younger friend who we'd pretty much excluded from the conversation was paying rather more attention than we realised.

Eventually he piped up 'I know what I'd do. I'd disappear'.

That solution would never have occurred to either of us, but that's what my friend did. Went away and stayed away. She had to wait several years before she could divorce him in his absence.

Sometimes these little whippersnappers can have ideas bordering on the genius

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

No, they don't want an employee that wants to change the environment for their "perceived" pleasure, that's the last thing they want. Hell, she would be the start of an internal revolution if they had let her express her "own ideas and spirit" and it caught on with other workers.

This is not a democracy, it's a private work environment.

The only type of outspoken people companies would want are those that are with a profit friendly perspective rather than emotional self validation perspective.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join