It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A snowflake feels the heat at work.....

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Using words like snowflake just make you look like brain washed right wing populists, who take their orders from right wing media. Lazy terminology because the nuance is too difficult to comprehend. That humans are an emotional species with far ranging emotions. From toughness to love to insecurity. Don't be brainwashed about what set of emotions are acceptable for society to have

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think if you have nothing better to do than whine about a whiner online behind an avatar, its time to get a life. There has to be a more interesting story out there somewhere.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Its cute to see people thinking there the first generation to # on the next one.

Bravo for repeating an age old mantra

Who here thinks they're the first? Or the last?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd
I think if you have nothing better to do than whine about a whiner online behind an avatar, its time to get a life. There has to be a more interesting story out there somewhere.

... Look at what you wrote, and think about it...Hard...LOL

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Is this a new trend....

Trump supporters ragging on young people? The new scapegoats because they know continued insults toward minorities and women is a losing proposition.

Just curious...

What is your hard on for Trump? You sound obsessed.

If you think adolescent insults will in anyway deter me from exercising my 1st amendment rights of free speech...Think again!

You ABSOLUTELY have the right to speak about some other topic.
But it is annoying that you can't keep on this one.

Edit..

And really, you are not in the position to label adults, you can't even speak about work ethic without bringing in the gd elections

Laziness and entitlement and lack of pride is a huge issue.

edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: added2

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Is this a new trend....

Trump supporters ragging on young people? The new scapegoats because they know continued insults toward minorities and women is a losing proposition.

Just curious...

If you think adolescent insults will in anyway deter me from exercising my 1st amendment rights of free speech...Think again!

It's you who need to "think again." I can't believe this has to be explained yet again. Your 1st amendment rights do not apply here. This is a PRIVATE forum. The 1st amendment enjoins the federal government, and ONLY the federal government, from curtailing your speech in a PUBLIC forum, i.e.: in a public place such as on a soapbox in a public park. You are not in a public forum here and the owners can curtail your speech any way they want to--just like a company can tell you what to wear to work.

I understand your sentiment, but claiming rights you don't have is like, well, like petitioning a company you don't actually work for to change a policy that is none of your business. You have no such entitlement, and that's kind of the major point here.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

I did and still think the same thing...LOL

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The simple fact that kids nowadays [yes most of them, apart from those with parents who take an interest in getting them ready for the real world], see life like Disneyland.

What I mean by that is that they learn all these things like Political correctness and their rights and respect and discussions and petitions and 'you are beautiful' and everyone is a winner and all that malarkey at school and college etc and then they are let lose into the real world.

The real world, where most of the above is not happening. Where company's are sometimes run by the very people that started them and whose main concern is the effective running of said company and not the nursing of school children.
For that you need a motivated crew that can work and take orders [SHOCK HORROR, ORDERS!!!]. You know like in any organised place where there is a head who knows the score and tells others what needs doing.

School is over. There are no safe places at work, no discussion groups and worst of all, if you can't deliver, you'll get the sack. If you are the worst worker in the group you'll get to have a chat with the boss and nobody tells you that all everyone is an equally good worker. It's hard and unfair but that's what they should have learned to cope with.

Maybe it is unfair [bohoo] to call them Snowflakes but there has to be a word that describes young people that are absolutely useless in a serious job environment. And Snowflake is as good as any other word.

I had my run in of these delicate flowers. From falling asleep on the job and telling the boss they did it because it's boring, to others telling the manager [who got the job after 20 hard years of grafting] that they see themselves as manager [i.e in their job] in 5 years and other kindergarden stuff.

Maybe we can't blame them for their fluffiness, after all they learned wrongly that the world is like school. But we need to address this, as these precious darlings are unemployable. It will be for their own good. Seriously.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The problem is people spend to much time on the internet. Go out and experience the world once in a while because I guarantee you won't run into this attitude much. It's easy to read blogs and find ways to demonize an entire generation when you can search online.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
er - ok

just my opinion - but unless there is a MASSIVE backstory unreported behind this farce

then the management are grade 2 cockwombles

to paraphrase :

snowflake interns want to wear " something different " , make proposal " can we wear something different "

management say " your fired "

does that actually sound reasonable behaviour to anyone fit to be left unsupervised ???

faced with the interns request - and hey thats all it was - my response would have been to call them into the meeting - drop thier proposal documents in the shreder and tell them to get back to thier duites

but hey - thats just me ,

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

We'll have to agree to partially disagree.

I stop learning the day everyone agrees with me.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

snowflake interns want to wear " something different " , make proposal " can we wear something different

management say " your fired "
"

No, snowflake intern asked management, and they said no.

I spoke with my manager about being allowed some leeway under the dress code and was told this was not possible, despite the other person being allowed to do it.

From link in OP
So snowflake intern decided to gather support from the other snowflake interns who had also been told NO, because, well, you know, they are snowflakes.

We decided to write a proposal stating why we should be allowed someone leeway under the dress code. We accompanied the proposal with a petition, signed by all of the interns (except for one who declined to sign it) and gave it to our managers to consider. Our proposal requested that we also be allowed to wear running shoes and non leather flats, as well as sandals (not flip-flops though) and other non-dress shoes that would fit under a more business casual dress code. It was mostly about the footwear, but we also incorporated a request that we not have to wear suits and/or blazers in favor of a more casual, but still professional dress code.

The next day, all of us who signed the petition were called into a meeting where we thought our proposal would be discussed. Instead, we were informed that due to our “unprofessional” behavior, we were being let go from our internships. We were told to hand in our ID badges and to gather our things and leave the property ASAP.

does that actually sound reasonable behaviour to anyone fit to be left unsupervised ???

Actually it does.

Maybe if they spent more time focusing on their jobs instead of organizing labor against the company for trivial BS they would still be working. This wasn't organizing about unsafe work or child labor or something. It was about allowed footwear.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

These weren't employees. They were interns. Im not sure how it works across the pond, but in the states, when you get an internship its kind of an honor. If among your first actions as an intern you organize the labor against management (especially in a non union state...read up on labor laws in the US), you are going to be fired. Partly for spending your time doing work that is counterproductive to the companies aims, and partly for being a completely moron.

A good employee doesn't try to bend the system to their desires. A good employee learns to work within the system.

I've fired people for similar behavior, for what that is worth. The only way quicker to get fired than circulating a petition is to just outright slap me in the face.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: nullafides

Who has hurt you? Do you want to talk about it?

You don't need to be so grumpy. Isn't that what the world needs, people with their own ideas and full of spirit? She wants to change her environment for the better. They could have just explained why they didn't like her idea. I bet she would have made a dedicated employee.

I agree, making suggestions should not be frowned on, no one had to implement them just read it. How unprofessional of any business not to let employees think and comment in a proper way, like submitting a written proposal for a change.

This is the kind of fresh go getter behavior that keeps business from stagnating.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Is this a new trend....

Just curious...

It's you who need to "think again." I can't believe this has to be explained yet again. Your 1st amendment rights do not apply here. This is a PRIVATE forum. The 1st amendment enjoins the federal government, and ONLY the federal government, from curtailing your speech in a PUBLIC forum, i.e.: in a public place such as on a soapbox in a public park. You are not in a public forum here and the owners can curtail your speech any way they want to--just like a company can tell you what to wear to work.

I understand your sentiment, but claiming rights you don't have is like, well, like petitioning a company you don't actually work for to change a policy that is none of your business. You have no such entitlement, and that's kind of the major point here.

I understand all that. But until you are somekind of moderator and enforcing the T&C, I'll express myself however I damn well please. I know the question made some uncomfortable. That was my intent. I thought it was on topic and relevant. If it wasn't, the mods could have removed the post.

Topic....I didn't agree with what the intern did but this calling people "snowflakes" isn't adding anything to the discussion either.
edit on 30-6-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-6-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

But I still agree with the OP, this ability to change things needs to be earned.

And maybe that is what the boss should have sat down with the newbie and said.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

I did and still think the same thing...LOL

Then you should probably take your own advice?

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

But I still agree with the OP, this ability to change things needs to be earned.

Why??

His "job" is to make the company prosperous, his time is literally money at work.

His "job" is NOT wasting time educating a person like this on work ethic and proper procedures in HIS workplace.

They responded to the FIRST request with a NO. End of story, accept it and get back to work, ESPECIALLY as a INTERN.

But no, they organized labor against the company and presented their grievances to the company. Talk about hubris.

Result=fired. And I agree.

I just can NOT relate to the people who think this person should have been coddled and held so they could eventually, MAYBE, be a worthwhile employee. She was an INTERN.
Maybe if she had been with the company for a few years and showed promise it would have been worth the time, but an intern?

This is the kind of fresh go getter behavior that keeps business from stagnating.

She did not like the shoes she was forced to wear. I fail to see how this type of "go getting" from an intern would be prosperous for the company.

But I see many think like you do. That is the world now. As divided as it is on every other topic. And pretty much with the same people on the same sides. Go figure.
edit on 6 30 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
For everyone complaining, the person in question is an intern which is basically one rung below temp to hire employee.

Your job is temporary! Why are you worrying about what you are being required to wear as a condition of employment since you are there for a finite amount of time? Why are you trying to either change company policy or get special dispensation for yourself, since you are there for a finite amount of time?

Unless you have some kind of verifiable medical type reason why the company dress code is too much for you to wear for the summer season, then you really don't have any business trying to change anything for your little temporary self. And the company is well within its rights to treat you that way. This proposal screams high-maintenance employee who is not a team player, so there you go and you are out on the street.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Why should the boss have to say that?

What happened to respect for authority and sense of perspective?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join