It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nicola Sturgeon calls for Scottish Independence 2.0

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
a reply to: UKTruth

Stories or facts? They have a tendency to get mixed in the world of populism...

You would be the expert on populism I guess given you tried to use a Game of Thrones episode to make your point

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Gibraltar is also leaving the UK,

Er, where did you get that from? If Gibraltar want to go it alone - as a British Overseas Territory - then that's their affair. The Spanish are not very nice neighbours to Gibraltarians, so they may not be happy with dealing with them in isolation.

To OP. There's an assumption that all people in Scotland who voted "remain" actually want independence and that all nationalists want to be shackled to the EU. The nationalists are savvy operators and they know that they will get lucky if they keep repeating referendums. It will be painted as a decision they have been force to make because of the Tories (coded language for the English).

I am in two minds about Scottish nationalism. I think it is divisive and the language is basically anti-English. If it was reversed, the English would be called racist. However, if Scotland really want to leave the UK then so be it. However, the nationalists will have to be honest this time about the price of severance, what with prices oil being so precarious. Also, Scottish influence in Europe would be marginal, even with adopting the Euro.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Something i learned in life, people will always look after themselves even when the sale-pitch is " We can do it together ".
When the rough times come, they will ditch each other... And then they will start to say, man we had it better..
If they want to come out of this alive, they need a dictator.. But looking at the Brits, they will think they know it all..

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Well mostly it was to make a point, since most of the Brits seems to live in the past of the Victorian ideals..

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

How far exactly do you want to go back to determine your modern day views and policies?

I spelt that out quite clearly in my last post. And I'll Make It Sh!tloads Easier For You.

It start's at 1707 and works forward from there.

Your lack of understanding and knowledge of the relationship is quite concerning, considering your attitude.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

I am fully aware of the history thanks. I just reject your premise that it is important in guiding my reaction to Scotland asking to leave the UK again. Sorry you can't handle the rejection and have to resort to personal attacks.

Scotland was better off in the UK before the EU existed. More fool them if they want to leave

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

a reply to: myselfaswell

Something i learned in life, people will always look after themselves even when the sale-pitch is " We can do it together ".
When the rough times come, they will ditch each other... And then they will start to say, man we had it better..
If they want to come out of this alive, they need a dictator.. But looking at the Brits, they will think they know it all..

Brits don't think they know it all, but when an organisation takes democratic power away form the people, then action must be taken. The British people have shown great courage. If Scotland are happy reporting as a nation to a few unelected men and women then that is their choice. Leave the Uk and kneel to Brussels. No one in England will cry for them.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Scotland was better off in the UK before the EU existed

What? rofl!!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Well mostly it was to make a point, since most of the Brits seems to live in the past of the Victorian ideals..

Do you actually know any Brits?

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

i do, many.. and loads of Scots.. The Scots say f#o# UK

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

a reply to: paraphi

i do, many.. and loads of Scots.. The Scots say f#o# UK

And we say good riddance

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Well the last word isnt said, isnt the people who actually decide in the end.. Cameron failed and should be sent to Siberia

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

I am fully aware of the history thanks. I just reject your premise that it is important in guiding my reaction to Scotland asking to leave the UK again. Sorry you can't handle the rejection and have to resort to personal attacks.

And responding to your sentences;

1. I don't doubt you're aware of it, but I doubt you understand it.

2. You reject the premise because you don't understand the history.

3. Personally I couldn't give two flying ones, and I'm not attacking you personally.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I think it's understandable that they would want another vote as the threats about staying in the EU could of pushed people to vote against independance.

If they did vote for independance I would have to move to where ever the UK relocates their subs. I think it would be a huge loss for the area I'm living in.
edit on Fridayam241630Fri, 24 Jun 2016 07:23:05 -0500232016-06-24T07:23:05-05:00k by LadyTrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Sigh, people are such trend followers... what's next? Will Madagascar declare itself unbound to Earth? Are people going to quit their soul sucking, life wasting jobs and declare independence from the bonds of economics as well?

Too many independent entities tottering around will just cause chaos. We need more guidance... and more arbitrary authority... and surveillance, way more surveillance.

Uhm, where's Scotland again? I didn't know they were enslaved, too.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Groundskeeper willie won't be a happy bunny !

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

No surprise, like you say.

I don't quite get the Scottish obsession with the EU; swapping Westminster for Brussels doesn't look like progress...unless you really just hate England, which, I suspect, is what is really driving the Scots. Still living in a time bubble. The Jacobean Revolt is over, guys.

It might be worth it if it means I don't have to see the poison dwarf in the power suit again, or hear its grating voice.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

And responding to your sentences;

1. I don't doubt you're aware of it, but I doubt you understand it.

2. You reject the premise because you don't understand the history.

3. Personally I couldn't give two flying ones, and I'm not attacking you personally.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

1) your doubts about me are irrelevant to any debate
2) conjecture
3) good

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Well the last word isnt said, isnt the people who actually decide in the end.. Cameron failed and should be sent to Siberia

The people have decided to leave the EU. Scottish people already recently decided to stay in the UK - KNOWING that the UK would be holding a referendum on an EU exit.

So the people have spoken in the UK on both topics - but the leaders of the SNP want to ask their followers AGAIN to leave the UK because they can't accept democracy and are a little bit butt hurt that the people of the UK rejected their direction.

That sums it up.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyTrick
I think it's understandable that they would want another vote as the threats about staying in the EU could of pushed people to vote against independance.

If they did vote for independance I would have to move to where ever the UK relocates their subs. I think it would be a huge loss for the area I'm living in.

No, the Scottish people already knew there would be a UK referendum on EU membership when they voted to stay in the UK not so long ago. There is no basis or mandate for another Scottish referendum.

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I do think if the Scots want independence from Britain, then they should have it. I can't see the point of keeping a part of the United Kingdom within if it wants to leave. Scotland has a strong and vibrant culture and already its own parliament - so good luck.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join