It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montreal, CANADA: Let The Banning of Pit Bulls Begin!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
We have a pit bull ban in the UK.

One thing that continues to amaze me is just how stupid people are.

Bad owners, yes, bad breeders? Yes.

A bad breed? Do me a favour.

I have had German Shepherds and I never had a second's worry about my children's safety with them EVER.

If the dog is bred well and suffers no congenital problems that cause it pain etc. and it is treated well in a secure, safe environment then it won't ever turn.

People are the problem here, not bloody dogs.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The fear mongering campaign of the Nanny State steals more ground.

My brother has the most awesome Am-Staff ever. As was already said, just huge friendly lapdog. He loves everyone, and would only hurt someone who was up to no good.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
We have a pit bull ban in the UK.

One thing that continues to amaze me is just how stupid people are.

Bad owners, yes, bad breeders? Yes.

A bad breed? Do me a favour.

I have had German Shepherds and I never had a second's worry about my children's safety with them EVER.

If the dog is bred well and suffers no congenital problems that cause it pain etc. and it is treated well in a secure, safe environment then it won't ever turn.

People are the problem here, not bloody dogs.

I have owned two German Shepherds in my life time and they are one of the smartest and friendliest breeds out there. Protectors? Yes. Radical attackers? Far from it. Kudos to UK for finally taking action on the pit bull ban

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
...and would only hurt someone who was up to no good.

That someone could be seen as anyone in that radical dog's eyes...those words make your protagonistic approach null and void.

link   
##SNIP##
Don't blame the dogs, they're not "terrible." Blame the humans who don't know how to handle them properly, and who created the breed to be vicious for pit fighting.

edit on 19-6-2016 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Jun 19 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: Community Announcement re: Decorum

link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Banning irresponsible pit bull owners would make more sense.

Just sayin'

Oh but wait, they are putting in laws that will make current pit bull owners very tough. They aren't saying much now but I am sure that the new laws will make those owners legally liable for any damage very brutal on them.

That should be the case regardless of the breed. one shouldn't profile a dog any more than one should profile a ...hispanic or african american. just like people its uoir surrounding and upbringing. If anything it should make it easier to cops to profile dog owners and identify potential abusers as they are inclined to invest in fighting dogs. Just because a dog is good at fighting doesn't mean that's what the dog actually wants to do, unless you reward it as such. Which always goes back to the owner.

link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Banning irresponsible pit bull owners would make more sense.

Just sayin'

Oh but wait, they are putting in laws that will make current pit bull owners very tough. They aren't saying much now but I am sure that the new laws will make those owners legally liable for any damage very brutal on them.

That should be the case regardless of the breed. one shouldn't profile a dog any more than one should profile a ...hispanic or african american. just like people its uoir surrounding and upbringing. If anything it should make it easier to cops to profile dog owners and identify potential abusers as they are inclined to invest in fighting dogs. Just because a dog is good at fighting doesn't mean that's what the dog actually wants to do, unless you reward it as such. Which always goes back to the owner.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
You folks who are apologists for your beloved pit bulls need to be aware of the statistics. In a major longitudinal study covering 1982 to 2006, nearly 24 years, it clearly shows that dangerous dogs such as "pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings." In this study a cocker spaniel was responsible for one dog bite for the entire 24 years. Pit bull terriers, on the other hand, were responsible for 1,110, including 104 deaths. When are you pit bull apologists going to wake up and realize your macho tough dogs are dangerous to the rest of the population? Those interested in researching this issue should see www.dogbitelaw.com... and familiarize yourselves with the statistics. Nobody is 'singling out' pit bulls unfairly. They simply cause more damage. To defend these dogs in the face of this evidence is illogical and irresponsible. I just hope pit bull owners carry a lot of insurance.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Nobody is 'singling out' pit bulls unfairly. They simply cause more damage. To defend these dogs in the face of this evidence is illogical and irresponsible. I just hope pit bull owners carry a lot of insurance.

With the new banning laws putting into effect insurance claims won't be necessary once all the pit bulls that are currently inhabiting the cities and towns die out. But for the current owners I am sure that they will not only have to register their dog, as most likely it is a flagged breed already of dangerous dogs, but may be penalized with having to buy insurance once everything is legally formalized in court.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

You folks who are apologists for your beloved pit bulls need to be aware of the statistics. In a major longitudinal study covering 1982 to 2006, nearly 24 years, it clearly shows that dangerous dogs such as "pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings." In this study a cocker spaniel was responsible for one dog bite for the entire 24 years. Pit bull terriers, on the other hand, were responsible for 1,110, including 104 deaths. When are you pit bull apologists going to wake up and realize your macho tough dogs are dangerous to the rest of the population? Those interested in researching this issue should see www.dogbitelaw.com... and familiarize yourselves with the statistics. Nobody is 'singling out' pit bulls unfairly. They simply cause more damage. To defend these dogs in the face of this evidence is illogical and irresponsible. I just hope pit bull owners carry a lot of insurance.

That just means nasty people gravitate to them because of their lethalness not because they are innately nasty. I have raised two but have helped with several litters and watched them all grow and become great companions. If there is any trait failure by them naturally is their slobber on my face.

A 357 isn't nasty by itself, it'll just sit there, get a dickhead behind it, ....well, another story altogether. All your statistics show is that nasty idiots are prone to get them because they're treated like weapons and consequently behave as such.

You're a smart dude (or gal) don't give that away now.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

And you should read the links I posted. A dog is identified as a pitbull if it even remotely resembles one.

The authors report that the breed of the dog or dogs could not be reliably identified in more than 80% of cases. News accounts disagreed with each other and/or with animal control reports in a significant number of incidents, casting doubt on the reliability of breed attributions and more generally for using media reports as a primary source of data for scientific studies. In only 45 (18%) of the cases in this study could these researchers make a valid determination that the animal was a member of a distinct, recognized breed. Twenty different breeds, along with two known mixes, were identified in connection with those 45 incidents.

nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

In the 70's in the UK, the number one dog involved in serious attacks on people was the GSD, in the 80's the Rottie, the 90's the pitbull.

The trends are down to fashion and unscrupulous breeders going for a fast buck and selling sub standard dogs (overbred from poor parents) to any Tom, Dick or Harry who only want something cool and will inevitably mistreat them.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

I appreciate your response to this thread...but I do not appreciate or respect your charged emotional response by labeling me as stupid for standing up against radical pit bulls and supporting the awareness of protecting people in society from such a dangerous breed.

Now that said, I never disagreed that some of those pit bulls have been loving to their owners and anyone who have came into contact with them. I never hated on someone who was emotionally tied to their family pet. Ever.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Statistics will say what they want. Did you add that the deaths are mainly from subsequent accidents, such as jogger heard dog bark, went into street and was killed by a car?

Did you know that you do a disservice to dogs in general when you own a dog like the one in your avatar?

Inbred and manipulated breeding to get the frankendog you cosmetically "have to" have.

This self centered type of breeding causes stress and health issues for the dog.

It is a watered down breed. Lets water em down until they are cats.

I see why we are where we are in the US, all these cupcakes need to just stay indoors.

Thousands of dogs are killed a year.

We are our animals keepers.

You would do more good sjw'ing for Livestock deaths, there are a lot more than dogs.

Holding owners liable is the only right answer.

That fear you have is probably being read by the dogs, they wonder why you don't trust them, then in turn wont trust you and act aggressive toward you.

A dog will act how it is trained. Breeds are not like humans.

Sounds like we need to add dogs 101 to HS classes.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Pit bulls....the AR15 of the canine world.

Pits were so renown for being the prototypical "family dog" that The Lil Rascals had one.

A dog is a dog is a dog. Some are crazy, some aren't. Some are abused and made into insane machines. Some aren't.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
IF anyone scared of these pitbulls and other powerful dogs, come see me, I will help you get the
confidence you need to no longer be scared.

Spend some time with a giant dopey Rottweiler. I have converted hundreds that had the fear.

PLEASE...
At least go to a dog park and play with some big dogs before you send out a knee jerk request on social media.

This pit shiat gets me worked up, my dog is next and he is my fur kid.

Ban my kid, and we are going to have some problems.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
...and would only hurt someone who was up to no good.

That someone could be seen as anyone in that radical dog's eyes...those words make your protagonistic approach null and void.

What?!?

Can you please provide something to support your use of the term "radical dog"? From where i stand, it looks like a made up term that has no clear definition.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

edit on 19-6-2016 by waverlyhills because: double posted for some unfathomable reason

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Very interesting. I'm conflicted as a dog lover, I have had some friends who have had pit bulls and they've been very well behaved.

However there are other tales and incidents that did not turn out so well I know of , including this horrible story which just recently happened not too far from where I currently live.

bangordailynews.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I have a pitbull and a mixed breed. I'm FAR more concerned about the mixed breed than I am about the pitbull. They play on the bed and the Pit usually ends up yelping and jumping off the bed and curling up by my feet while I'm driving because she got too rough.

Our mixed will bark at people that aren't even close to our truck, and if she ever got loose and there was a dog around, she'd tear into it in a heartbeat. Our Pit on the other hand tries to play with dogs and is absolutely convinced beyond a doubt that people are the greatest thing ever.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join