It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montreal, CANADA: Let The Banning of Pit Bulls Begin!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Wildbob77

So, I support ending breeding of aggressive dogs. Spay and neuter all existing aggressive breeds. Make it a huge fine to breed them.
Pitbulls are not an "aggressive breed" any more than any other breed is. I've seen a mean and nasty golden retriever.

However if you look up dog bite statistics, pit bulls are always the number one killer
How about you look it up for us? In any case, it is a fact that pits have very powerful jaws.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I bet most of those dogs on your stats are not true pits, any mutt breed pretty much gets labled as pits.
edit on 20-6-2016 by thesaneone because: Too many t's

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Yea it pissed me off big time when the mayor talked about nutering the pit bulls in the province, stupid law.

Poor things, ive never seen a bad dog , only a bad owner.
edit on 20-6-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   
One other thing to consider is that in the UK it's very difficult to prove a dog is a pit bull.
To some folks, a little staff is a "pit bull type" while others purposefully cross breed to achieve the look.

I agree with folks who say about others crossing the road to avoid them.

It's one of the reasons I never worry about my daughter being out walking the dog.
Anyone not used to my dogs (I only have one at a time, but have had a few) will think they are some sort of werewolf type thing throwing themselves at the frosted glass of the front door.

Once they know them though, and the door opens its all waggy tail and slobber. A couple of regular delivery guys used to or still have gsd's or rotties and always want to make a fuss of my girl while I sign for the delivery.

She sleeps on the bed like the last one did, she cuddles up on the sofa, goes mental when the kids come home from school, leaves the cats alone and is generally just another one of the kids to me and my Mrs. That's how a dog should be, whatever the breed, and they all have the capability to be that way.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Too bad we can't give dislike votes because your post deserved it.

It is never dogs problem no matter what breed it is, it is owners problem.

What breed is next German Shepherd? For me German Shepherd can do more damage than Pitt bull if in hands of bad owner.

Do you know Pitt bulls are dogs that like children more than any other breed, OK maybe boxers like children more but I don't see any difference between this two dogs if they are in bad hands, what about Rottweiler?

Your society is not educated and your major knows nothing about dogs. Really weird this comes from Canada...

He could give high jail penalty for bad owners and guess what, then you and others uneducated people could learn few things about dogs especially about Pitt bulls who are probably one of the best dog breeds on the world.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
We have a number of family dogs, mostly Dalmatians.

Here is an example:

6-year-old female; well fed, a few pounds overweight; loved and cared for by gentle owners her entire life, and has always been disciplined gently, and without physical force. Well-socialized with many outside people and dogs in a variety of settings.

She is incredibly loving toward any person in the household. Yet when she meets a stranger, it is anyone's guess what will happen. Mostly she treats these strangers like family members, but if these new people have a trait that she has not been exposed to ( a very tall person, a person wearing sunglasses, a person of a new race, etc), she may react with fear, and has nervously bitten strangers (very small bites, but bites are bites).

Pitbulls are sweet creatures. But they are also dogs. Dogs are a hair away from wolves. They have instincts we don't understand, and they will always do unpredictable things. Pitbulls are better equipped to do harm than almost any other breed. I think it is worth noting that when people speak about how sweet their animals are, they are thinking about how the animal interacts with their own family. They are not thinking about how that animal would treat an innocent stranger which has traits which are alien and scary to the dog.

The dog which has only ever interacted lovingly with its family of four, and which roams the neighborhood slaughtering cats and other small animals and terrorizing passersby is often the same dog. No matter how well a family treats their pet, they cannot change the creature's nature, and many times they may be completely ignorant of their pet's full nature. I think the idea that people can love the instincts out of their pets is a dangerous oversight.

There is a reason why in most places owning a large predatory cat requires a license. The spirit of such laws is that a person's freedom should not extend to keeping a creature that endangers everyone around it. Perhaps Pitbulls are a less extreme version of this same concept, and should be more heavily regulated than most other dogs.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Your scared sheep mentality makes your approach null and void.

Are we not human beings? Top of the food chain? And your scared of a little dog and want the Govt. to protect you.
We conquered dogs tens of thousands of years ago and made them our allies and companions, and you're running to hide behind the skirts of the nanny state.

You don't rate to call yourself a human.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

originally posted by: schuyler
Nobody is 'singling out' pit bulls unfairly. They simply cause more damage. To defend these dogs in the face of this evidence is illogical and irresponsible. I just hope pit bull owners carry a lot of insurance.

With the new banning laws putting into effect insurance claims won't be necessary once all the pit bulls that are currently inhabiting the cities and towns die out. But for the current owners I am sure that they will not only have to register their dog, as most likely it is a flagged breed already of dangerous dogs, but may be penalized with having to buy insurance once everything is legally formalized in court.

Do you not understand that any laws will only be observed and adhered to by law-abiding responsible citizens?

The criminals who fight their dogs, and irresponsible owners who have no idea how to control large breeds and don't care to learn either, will just ignore laws and rules like they always do. Their disregard for the law is the reason they become criminals and irresponsible in the first place. You think introducing a law is going to make criminals suddenly take responsibility for their dogs?

We have Breed Specific Legislation here in the UK, but has it stopped attacks from large breed dogs? Nope.
Has it made Pitbulls extinct in the UK? Nope.
Has it stopped Pitbulls being bred? Nope.
Has it stopped people from owning a Pitbull? Nope.
Has it stopped illegal dog-fighting? Nope.

What does BSL achieve?
It orders the destruction of beautifully behaved innocent family dogs for no other reason than they're a breed that is listed on the dead-pool of 'dangerous dogs', without ever having done one thing wrong.

BSL murders innocent dogs and inflicts untold grief and distress on their loving owners, just because they're alive.

It's like racism of the dog world.

BSL is a law invented by stupid people.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Here's an article regarding Torontos 10+ year ban on pit bulls, and why it did nothing to lessen dog bites in the city.
Link

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

He's good mate.

Playful as ever.

Hope yours are well too.
edit on 20-6-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Its funny I have a pit of some sort(found him when he was a couple weeks old very ill), and a Siberian husky... when I walk the dogs everybody wants to pet the snow dog... and almost everyone is afraid of the Pit... My husky will take your arm off at the elbow if you just grab my wifes arm in a calm/or playful manner.

My pit... all he wants is attention and love, and to give kisses...

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Your scared sheep mentality makes your approach null and void.

Are we not human beings? Top of the food chain? And your scared of a little dog and want the Govt. to protect you.
We conquered dogs tens of thousands of years ago and made them our allies and companions, and you're running to hide behind the skirts of the nanny state.

You don't rate to call yourself a human.

I am sorry if you are trying to throw me a bone here but you are full of childish animal nonsense.

The fact of the matter is some pitbull owners themselves were mauled by their own dog. Your response approach by applying a low confidence 'nanny' trip on the matter is very pathetic. I am a responsible human being...and I play by the rules. Those who break the rules need to be punished. Are we not a democracy? is the local mayor not responsible to listen to the people who elected him or her to do what society wants them to do?

I like dogs I think they are great...but if the dog radicalizes themselves out of the blue and attacks someone, they are just as guilty as the owner. You can always use the scape goat by saying it is the breeder's fault then. But that is cowardly.

Banning people from smoking inside public buildings and away from entrances was looked down upon and no one liked it. Cigs kill people. If a pitbull got loose from the homeowner premises...it can go off and kill someone. Therefore pitbulls are potential killers left in public.

Too many irresponsible people add to the pool. And innocent people suffer as a consequence in a community.
edit on 20-6-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc
##SNIP##
Don't blame the dogs, they're not "terrible." Blame the humans who don't know how to handle them properly, and who created the breed to be vicious for pit fighting.

edit on Sun Jun 19 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: Community Announcement re: Decorum

The buyers of the breed are just as guilty as the breeders themselves.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Please enlighten us as to how a canine might 'radicalize itself' to attack someone?

I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my entire 58 years.

I suspect you have never owned a dog in your life have you? If you had, you would never have posted this thread.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

sorry to hear this, ppl who raise violent pets should be banned, not the faithful canine species...

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

originally posted by: Talorc
##SNIP##
Don't blame the dogs, they're not "terrible." Blame the humans who don't know how to handle them properly, and who created the breed to be vicious for pit fighting.

edit on Sun Jun 19 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: Community Announcement re: Decorum

The buyers of the breed are just as guilty as the breeders themselves.

im sorry, but this has to be the stupidest thing i have read in years. Kudo's for breaking the internet.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Here is a link for dog bite stats
Dog bite stats

I have dogs. I do love my dogs. Dog breeds have certain characteristics. Within any given breed you will have some wonderful dogs and some awful dogs. I think that responsible owners can have a dog that is aggressive.

I guess my main point is an aggressive little dog may bite you but most likely you can get away from it. If a pit bull latches onto you .... good luck

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar

sorry to hear this, ppl who raise violent pets should be banned, not the faithful canine species...

People who back yard breed them, sell them to the public and dog fighting rings conditioning them to fight in the process should be banned.

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

The problem with almost all dog bite statistics is that they're skewed so that any dog that even remotely looks like a Pit is tagged as a Pitbull, whether it is or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join