It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to NRA: strip "watch listed" people of their 2A rights.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

There are a couple of problems with this approach ; the first being that the goverment can arbitrarily decide who will be on watch lists and no fly lists. Eventually, everyone won't be on the no fly, but everyone could be on the watch list. The second problem is if everyone is put on lists to prevent buying or owning weapons, who will stand up to the government when it becomes a totalitarian nightmare? Oh wait, that's the point of this...

I think Trump is making a big mistake here. How can you trust someone to have your interests at heart if they are willing to sacrifice you, your wife and kids to private sector and public sector criminals, who I might add, all have guns.

Bad move Donald!

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/15.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: abe froman

Wait. So you are saying that when the left tries to restrict the 2nd Amendment it is tyranny, but when Trump wants to do it, it is a valid and acceptable method to combat our enemies? Lol the Trump double standards live on.

What double standard? The left says all guns should be banned and NO ONE should have them. Trump is going to discuss whether people on the watchlists should have a right to them. Seems vastly different to me regardless of my feeling on the issue, but as a typical leftist, you don't. Nothing new here.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Yeah, I dunno, the Orlando shooter was on their list and we all know how that ended

If you're on a terror list no legally buying guns for you. It's that simple.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

No actually the left doesn't say that at all. The right just continually claims that the left wants to ban and confiscate all guns.

Way to start a conversation with me with a stupid strawman about my side of the political aisle. I'm sure our future discourse in this thread will be so enlightening and be of the utmost quality... /sarc

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

then they should have to give notice to each person who is on that list and give a clear path for innocent people to clear their name off the list.
and, I am sorry, but if the information I was reading was right, the gun used in the latest shooting could shoot something like 60 rounds in a minute. there is no viable use for a use like this outside of open warfare in my opinion. so before we go stripping innocent people of their right to have your typical hunting rifle, why don't we restrict the sale of these types of guns that would cut a danged dear in half in a minutes time!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Yeah, I dunno, the Orlando shooter was on their list and we all know how that ended

If you're on a terror list no legally buying guns for you. It's that simple.

Do you know how many people are on the list or how they got on it?

Are the people who report people vetted? Are the people who decide to add people to the list checked to make sure their judgement is fair, reasonable and proportionate?

Or is it safer to take the Orlando shooter's presence on the list as proof that watchlists work and don't require oversight? Cast the net wide enough and increase the chances of preventing a similar incident?

Is "yeah, I dunno" enough reflection on the topic to say "It's that simple?"

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

This is getting into a grey area, as far as I'm concerned. Do you support equal gun rights for convicted felons? I don't.

No, they are not the same at all. The point I make is there IS a line to be drawn when it comes to gun rights. The events of the last few years lends to, at least, looking to see if that 'line' needs to be moved.

While I'd personally have no problem with restricting gun rights of Muslim immigrants as evidence has pointed more and more in that general direction recently, Militia and anti-federalists are also-perhaps sub-rosa- also on watch lists.

Who decides who's on those lists is also a factor to weigh.

On one hand, I find it unconscionable that I find myself 'defending' the gun rights of active anti-American extremists and on the other, it opens the door for selective restriction based on political/agenda motivations.

Where I would support it is when an Imam in a Mosque actively promotes acts of violence against any segment of our community or nation then all members would, could and perhaps should fall under a restriction on gun rights. I would also include these so-called Islamic training centers-if, in fact, they exist- in that category.

If that was the criteria, I could live with it. A carte blanche restriction? Nope. It would go too far for me.

Again, it opens a can of worms as a precedent.... Then again, we have a President that the perception is he's just waiting to Executive Order a similar move against all Americans.

This is a tough one...what else is new...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Trump just gave my vote to Gary Johnson.

I don't compromise on the 2nd.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yeah, clearly it's a double edge sword but a man on that list just murdered 49 innocent people. So if anyone on that list can't fly in a plane how in the hell is it logical they can buy a gun?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

P.S. An afterthought. Please consider at what point would such a restriction be merited? Let's say these 'random attacks' increase to, say, one a day, perhaps two or three a day....then would it be warranted?

Especially if the alternative is that same 'restriction' would be placed on ALL Americans as the alternative? (THAT would be a 'progressive/left wing solution, which, I suspect, is what Trump is actually avoiding by this suggestion. That would make him a centrist, NOT a liberal as you say...)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Trump is trying to take the guns away from terrorists on no fly lists. Working with the NRA to make sure it doesn't go too far.

Obama, Clinton etc want to take the guns away from law abiding citizens to make it fair for the criminals and terrorists. To destabilize and enslave the United States. Screw them.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
good for you baron, good for you !

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

What about all those people who can't fly because their name is something like John Smith?

Well I don't have such a common name as that , but I was added to the do not fly list under such circumstances.
I knew something was wrong when the ticket counter guy looked at his computer and than back at me with a completely different look of O $h1t.

Then security appeared and took me to a back office until the issue was resolved and I missed my flight. Ofcourse me having several valid different gov't Id in my back pack didn't help.

Interesting day. So yeah you can be effected by the list.
Although as others mentioned out of these two disgusting choices we have, he appears to be the less infringing one on this matter vs Hillary.

edit on 01630America/ChicagoWed, 15 Jun 2016 17:01:03 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
*Crickets

Did Donald just make some heads explode? Put the final nail in the coffin of the GOP?

What will the NRA do? Try to give him money?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Trump just gave my vote to Gary Johnson.

I don't compromise on the 2nd.

Great!! Then lose AR-15s...to start...That's the alternative to a selective restriction...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: Hazardous1408

"Don't assume... they're nuts"

You need a mirror.

I've always believed that terrorists and felons should not be armed.

I've always been behind extensive background checks and a ban on fully automatic weapons.

I think for myself, unlike most liberals and SJWs I deal with.

Page 2 post quoted, I just could not wait to respond since my head was seriously hurting! Wake up America! Terrorists and criminals will always be able to get guns. They don't care about silly gun laws let alone, laws about killing others!!! I am just amazed at the silliness of everyone thinking that laws will make them safer. We have many laws now and none of them have affected those that choose to create havoc!

Dems and Repubs need to start looking outside their boxes and realize you all are being played! Don't let yourselves be corralled into your own prisons and have no rights! Your children will be just born and raised inside those corrals and miserable.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Trump is just pandering to the moderates and gay's now with this BS. He knows full well without the middle of the road gang he can't win.

However he just looks more and more wacky with every passing rally. And what's up with those Masonic hand signals?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I'm moderate and I agree with blocking watch list suspects from purchasing firearms.

Especially ARs. That should invoke an immediate visit from the three letter boys.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join