It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rather than gun bans, how about free gun safety courses?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
What if we offered free safety courses to anyone who wanted them, thus reducing the accidents and teaching the average person how to safely deal with a firearm?
edit on 14-6-2016 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It should be mandatory.. it used to be mandatory... then people decided Guns were to blame and look what that line of thought has brought us to.

link   
a reply to: network dude
Do you think that would have had an impact on Omar Mateen?

link   

Free? If you can afford a reliable firearm, then you can afford the time it takes to learn to use it proficiently, including when to use it.

But you can't teach common sense and responsibility to some. Or make people practice it.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I think that it is a good idea but, a few things stand in the way. Who is going to teach these classes? Will the instructors be given immunity from civil litigation if one of their students fouls up and someone is harmed? Will completion of this class be a requirement for the purchase of a firearm? Is this just weapons safety or will it discuss rules of engagement?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

He was a licensed armed security guard, he already had the class.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
Do you think that would have had an impact on Omar Mateen?

nope, not at all. but would banning guns have stopped him? He was a contractor for a company that did security. If he didn't go buy his own, he could have used a company weapon to do his killing. I am trying to suggest something that would be a positive thing towards the gun fears.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

I think that it is a good idea but, a few things stand in the way. Who is going to teach these classes? Will the instructors be given immunity from civil litigation if one of their students fouls up and someone is harmed? Will completion of this class be a requirement for the purchase of a firearm? Is this just weapons safety or will it discuss rules of engagement?

I was thinking of a free course offered to any and all funded by those who wish for more gun safety. It would offer job opportunities as instructors, provide a valuable service to the public, and might help those who didn't grow up around guns to feel safe owning one. Hell, government fund it. Crowd fund it. Have NRA members volunteer their time. This would not infringe on any rights, and it could only help the general public.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Is there a sudden epidemic of people injuring themselves and others accidentally?

Or is this is in reference to the Florida incident, I don't think the there was an accidental discharge that took 50 innocent peoples lives in a nightclub.

There is no free lunch, so by we (offering safety course and $ for it) I imagine you are talking about the tax payer? the NRA?

Not a bad idea, I took hunter safety 35 years ago and it was a good base for safely handling firearms. The classes are out there for anyone and everyone.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

every time a tragedy happens involving guns, there is an outrage and cry for confiscation, banns, restrictions. But nobody puts much more thought into it. It's either take them or keep your hands off. I am thinking of a pro-active way to educate regular people about weapons and more importantly, safety. I realize that the ones who would take the class aren't the ones who would be out killing folks in a nightclub, but in the light of "if we could save just one life", this might be that thing. One accidental discharge that might not have happened if proper storage and handling were used. After all, isn't saving just one life important?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It may help with the accident factor. Especially if the use of a gun safes are encouraged. Personally having kids and such I hope most parents have a system of locking or protecting their firearm that is thoroughly thought out.
Biometrics are pretty affordable and even little one gun systems are good for parents to make sure they are safe during certain transition periods throughout the day or life. Drawer safes etc. Bigger safe for longer storage.

As far as stopping bad guys the problems need to be addressed as they are and with the understanding of the crime pathology.

So a terrorist probably lies within foreign policy and relations. I don't think there is stopping these kinds of crimes without addressing the cause.

Do you focus on a stethoscope for a bank vault thief?

Mass murder should be examined as a pathology not focused on the weapon of violence that's ignorant.

What we have here is the pot of gold being waved by the Democrats making an issue that is nearly impossible to pass which is gun control which is a fabrication of the actual root social problem.

Since that means dealing with big philosophical issues that take time gun control makes a perfect little happy meal to give to the kids.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
How are free safety courses going to stop someone like Mateen and any of the other recent mass shooters? For the record no one is talking about BANNING guns, but some do want to put in place a BACKGROUND check, the kind that would keep someone on an FBI terrorist watchlist from going out and still being able to buy AR15's. Background checks does not equal a gun ban.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I fully agree. I am just thinking of a way to direct some of the anger and ignorance that exists on this topic. Education in any form is a good thing. And if it can make some democrats less foamy at the mouth over this topic, I see it as a win-win.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Find an NRA Training Course near you

Find NRA's education and training course(s) near your area. Enter your zip code and select a search radius (The approximate distance is calculated from the center of the specified location). You can also search course(s) by state. Don't forget to peruse NRA Online Training Opportunities too!

www.nrainstructors.org...

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
How are free safety courses going to stop someone like Mateen and any of the other recent mass shooters? For the record no one is talking about BANNING guns, but some do want to put in place a BACKGROUND check, the kind that would keep someone on an FBI terrorist watchlist from going out and still being able to buy AR15's. Background checks does not equal a gun ban.

As was said, this type of thing would not stop a crazy person from being crazy. Nor would it stop a terrorist from terrorizing. It would offer an avenue for regular folks to get some training that they otherwise might not get. It might save just one life. It has nothing to do with AR-15's being scary, or people not wanting Joe down the street to own stinger missiles. It's about gun safety. Or is that not something you think is important?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Thats a good point. As far as our use of intelligence goes we should definately be debating the investigation process.

As far as gun control it's most likely just hysterical shell game stuff.

To adress these mods murders we have to get down to root core issues. Religeous fanatics, and psychotic young men make up a lot of mass shooters.

The vast majority however are in Chicago every weekend or Detroit etc.

So we have
Poverty, Foreign Policy, mental illness, religeous extremism, pharmaceutical drugs, illegal drugs

Those are major gun violence factors. Guns are just the easiest thing to get. They still will be illegally. Especially for psychopaths, religeous extremists, and gangs.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Find NRA's education and training course(s) near your area. Enter your zip code and select a search radius (The approximate distance is calculated from the center of the specified location). You can also search course(s) by state. Don't forget to peruse NRA Online Training Opportunities too!

Fantastic! unfortunately, I got "Search returns no records." but this could be expanded with some help from the people who want more safety and less death. (or is that not what all this is really about?)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Yeah I have also seen some irresponsible gun owners if we are being honest.

I have had my own life threatened twice by ignorant people at ranges. One man trying to clear a jam was literally turned right at me finger near trigger pulling at the slide.

Another was rapid firing his 22 off the back of his pickup at some metal fencing.

Those two guys could actually use a lesson.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: seasonal

Fantastic! unfortunately, I got "Search returns no records." but this could be expanded with some help from the people who want more safety and less death. (or is that not what all this is really about?)

It took me 2 minutes to find courses near me, what needs to be expanded and why?

Please explain what you meant by: "but this could be expanded with some help from the people who want more safety and less death. (or is that not what all this is really about?)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

I didn't know it was possible to legally buy a firearm without a background check. How did Mateen do that?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join