It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rather than gun bans, how about free gun safety courses?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

originally posted by: network dude

a reply to: network dude

Find an NRA Training Course near you

Find NRA's education and training course(s) near your area. Enter your zip code and select a search radius (The approximate distance is calculated from the center of the specified location). You can also search course(s) by state. Don't forget to peruse NRA Online Training Opportunities too!

www.nrainstructors.org...

Fantastic! unfortunately, I got "Search returns no records." but this could be expanded with some help from the people who want more safety and less death. (or is that not what all this is really about?)

It took me 2 minutes to find courses near me, what needs to be expanded and why?

Please explain what you meant by: "but this could be expanded with some help from the people who want more safety and less death. (or is that not what all this is really about?)

I could not find a course near me, but I am rural. My point is, this is a good thing, and it would be great if it was available to everyone. The last comment is directed at those who are squeaking the loudest on this, not you. Sorry for that mixup. It seems the statement that "nobody wants to take away your guns" is not totally accurate, so it kind of brings out the worst in me. They leave off the part at the end. "right now".

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyrrho

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
How are free safety courses going to stop someone like Mateen and any of the other recent mass shooters? For the record no one is talking about BANNING guns, but some do want to put in place a BACKGROUND check, the kind that would keep someone on an FBI terrorist watchlist from going out and still being able to buy AR15's. Background checks does not equal a gun ban.

I didn't know it was possible to legally buy a firearm without a background check. How did Mateen do that?

Different laws in different states. I went to a gun shop in Florida and was told I could buy a handgun today, with minimal paperwork. In NC you have to obtain a permit for each handgun, or have a Concealed Carry license. I don't know about other states.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Pyrrho

In Michigan you can buy a long rifle/shotgun (single shot shotgun, semi auto shotgun, semi auto rifle, bolt action rifle, single shot rifle) without a back ground check as long as it is from a private individual. This means a neighbor, not a business, has a shot gun for sale. You give him money and you get the shotgun. Hand guns needs a purchase permit.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

What if we offered free safety courses to anyone who wanted them, thus reducing the accidents and teaching the average person how to safely deal with a firearm?

Precisely how will that stop nasty people from blowing away gay night clubs, cinemas and primary schools?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

In Michigan you can buy a long rifle/shotgun (single shot shotgun, semi auto shotgun, semi auto rifle, bolt action rifle, single shot rifle) without a back ground check as long as it is from a private individual. This means a neighbor, not a business, has a shot gun for sale. You give him money and you get the shotgun. Hand guns needs a purchase permit.

But Omar purchased his guns from a store where they do background checks.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyrrho

But Omar purchased his guns from a store where they do background checks.

Then should Omar have lost some of his civil rights because he was on a list (there are many). This list was the FBI's terror list that he was on 2013-2014 if I remember correctly.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
So, a free course to tell you "don't point at people you don't want dead" "make sure the safety is on" "keep out of reach of small children" "make sure it is fully unloaded when not in use" and "don't look down the barrel"?
edit on -050012pm6kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Then should Omar have lost some of his civil rights because he was on a list (there are many). This list was the FBI's terror list that he was on 2013-2014 if I remember correctly.

We can't do that. CAIR would be pissed off. They might hold a press conference and accuse the FBI of profiling.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Le's just issue everyone a gun, and require that they be armed at all times in public.

What could possibly go wrong?

It defies logic that folks in the most technologically advanced & wealthy nation feel compelled to arm themselves like some kind of anarchy-torn African 3rd world country.

When society as a whole has gotten so bad that people call for more people carrying more guns around...that's a big hint/signal that there's a serious issue deep down.

More guns, more classes, more this more that -- none of it is working to correct or fix the core issue: our culture.
edit on 14-6-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

It's OK, you don't have to have one of you don't want one. I am really sorry to have offered this idea. I had no idea it would piss everyone off. What a dumbass I am for thinking that a little firearm safety might be a good thing.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
So, a free course to tell you "don't point at people you don't want dead" "make sure the safety is on" "keep out of reach of small children" "make sure it is fully unloaded when not in use" and "don't look down the barrel"?

I was thinking more like, how to store a gun properly, how to load, unload, safely. How to transport a weapon. Laws that exist in your area about your rights to use the firearm. How to take it down and clean it, then put it back together. You know, the stupid stuff everyone already #ing knows.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

You dont strip due process... Period ... otherwise you no longer live in a free society.. if they had actionable intel they would have arrested him...since they didnt have actionable intel that means they would be stripping him of rights without him ever breaking a law...

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The only way I know of to legally buy a firearm without a background check is a person to person sale. Even those have specific federal laws on the books.
edit on 14-6-2016 by jjkenobi because: added legally

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
How are free safety courses going to stop someone like Mateen and any of the other recent mass shooters? For the record no one is talking about BANNING guns, but some do want to put in place a BACKGROUND check, the kind that would keep someone on an FBI terrorist watchlist from going out and still being able to buy AR15's. Background checks does not equal a gun ban.

But He had a background check done if im not mistaken and apparently being investigated by the FBI isn't even enough to prevent you from being the POTUS.

edit on 38630America/ChicagoTue, 14 Jun 2016 12:38:03 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

*looks around*

This place doesn't look like Mogadishu, Somalia:

I don't see Mad Max-style guys rolling around in beat up Toyotas with machine guns mounted in the bed, slaughtering innocent people for fun.

I don't see armed rape gangs running the streets with impunity.

I don't see armies of children being led by warlords with fully automatic rifles.

In a country like that? Sure, I'd probably want to carry a weapon at all times.

No, my home looks like this:

But to go to the grocery store to pick up a gallon of milk? If I have to pack heat to buy some milk, we have seriously deep issues in this country beyond gun control.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Right, that's a really nice post and your home looks super and all, but exactly what does that have to do with the idea to offer weapons safety classes to people in the US? You piped up about it, now please explain why.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Training and arming our citizens.

If we feel compelled to arm and train our people, that doesn't bode well for the state of our society and culture.

Seriously. If I have to be armed to go 1/4 mile to the grocery store for milk, doesn't that sound like I live in some war-torn, 3rd world hell hole?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Well there are places with more liberal gun laws than America,Mogadishu comes to mind

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Um, this could be for the people who are already armed. They were the ones I was thinking of with this. I am amazed at the loony mindset of Canadians. You guys must think the US is like cowboy days in the old wild west. You should do one of two things, get out more, or dig a hole and hide in it. LOL, It's amazing. I offer an idea to make people safer, and it's # upon because it doesn't involve removing guns from people.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

nope, not at all. but would banning guns have stopped him? He was a contractor for a company that did security. If he didn't go buy his own, he could have used a company weapon to do his killing. I am trying to suggest something that would be a positive thing towards the gun fears.

A: I'm pretty sure that you understand that nothing is "free," so basically you should call it taxpayer-funded gun safety classes.

B: I think that you should call it a gun education class, not a gun safety class, and it should include a discussion about how guns work and the local, state, and federal laws that govern who, why, and when people can purchase/own/use firearms.

C: It should also include a discussion about the notes surrounding the writing of the 2nd Amendment and what was TRULY intended by the inclusion of such an amendment, then people could understand that it was not meant to be onerously regulated or permitted or used only for hunting.

D: I think gun-use classes would be more appropriate, because people can learn everything that they want to about guns, but until they actually use them in different scenarios, they won't truly understand anything about firearms.

E: I have no idea why I felt the need to make this a bulleted list, save for maybe the subconscious pun involved.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join