It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Microsoft...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have no issue per se with the OS, and my home computers always run great. I rarely get crashes, or issues of any kind. I am only at odds with the data collection in Windows 10, and the forced upgrade, well before the original stated end of support date for Windows 7.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

There are several programs out there that will disable the tracking/telemetry in Windows. One such good one is Spybot Anti-Beacon:

www.safer-networking.org...

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I was skeptical of win 10 right off the bat. Considering their previous OS upgrades were hundreds of dollars and then suddenly win10 is free and is pushed very hard on the user. So hard in fact that Microsoft came off desperate...

I have some theories about why they would offer the free upgrade that range from mildly unethical to supreme malevolence.

*They want to increase the number of users beta testing their software. A very limited amount of users will intentionally beta-test software, usually because they want to influence the development of the software in their favor, or have an insightful advantage...this leads to software design that doesn't necessarily meet the needs of the majority of users...but meets the needs of beta users.

*They are redesigning their OS to essentially be a super efficient data mining program with all the nifty bells and whistles that distract the user from its actual function...essentially the majority of users willingly invite evil into their homes and private lives if it looks pretty enough and keeps them entertained.

I've actually stopped auto-updates from windows update because of this. Win-updates have often broken my GPU drivers resulting BSOD hell.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Sly1one

Nicely said, great points!

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

I have it on 2 laptops as well, one was purchased with it, the other was forced. I wasn't happy at all with the forced download but it's my wife's laptop and she actually likes it. I have had very little concern.

Great avatar btw !!

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Switched to Linux as my daily driver 8 years ago. Whistling and smiling as I read this article.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Detergent

I have Linux mint on a old laptop and I have never had a problem.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Windows 10 was installed on my machine and a guests the other night (WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION!)... totally hosed the wifi of the HP computer... spent many hours trying to fix it... found (google search) very many people lose wifi connectivity after w10 upgrade... has many reasons, lots center around drivers for the wifi parts of specific manufacturers/models of computers. Microsoft just ignored the fact that the update would leave people without a connection.

Microsoft just pulled the rug out from under so many people.... I did not authorize any change to my laptop and want to join any lawsuit seeking damages. Any lawyers out there? Class action?

And if you have not experienced it yet just try to find "Help and Support"... this version of windows does not have It.
Think you are going to run something from the cmd prompt? Good luck trying to find that too. Why do those a-holes at microsoft think it is good idea to move/hide/eliminate functions that everyone is familiar with?

This is the last windows machine I will ever own... MAC or Linux from now on... I'm never putting up with this BS again.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I seriously doubt any class action lawsuit would gain any ground against a piece of software that MS developed and is patching. Which is in effect, what they are calling it. If you read through the EULA, I'm sure you will find they are completely justified (by law) to do exactly what they are doing.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Whenever windows forces only windows 10, i will be changing my pc for a Mac, and I am not joking. People have no idea the amounts of backdoors hidden in windows 10. Not to mention the fact that windows 10 is going to lessen considerably the life of your hard drive. But I guess some people "love" being forced. Forced updates, no choice on your part whatsoever, and microsoft is the right company to do it...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
It's funny though, that with all the forced changes and such...

Coming from XP, Linux Mint feels more at home (in a good way) than Windows 10. It parallels what 7 was doing. Also it's better if you want to chose what your computer does rather than a corporation and whatever their vision is for thier OS.

So if you feel too thrown off by the current upgrade path, I'd say to give Mint a try. (If it's going to be different, at least have it different in a way that still feels familiar.) This is also time to start picking up on FOSS alternates if you haven't, many are starting to mature now and have really raised the bar for what commercial software has to do in order to be worth buying.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
The issue is not with Windows 10. The issue is with all the software that won't run on Windows 10. This is not strictly Microsoft's fault. However, they are inadvertently causing the issue by an unprecedented push to move to their new OS. Or perhaps not so accidently.. hard to tell, I've never seen MS push an OS so hard before.

So your home computer running some games and Office runs fine? Ok.. great. In an enterprise environment, there are literally hundreds to even thousands of applications, and many are NOT ready for Windows 10. That is the real issue. Their push to force folks to switch by June or July of next year is crazy. Most medium or larger businesses (200 + computers) will have a difficult time completing that transition. Have a Skylake processor? Have fun getting nothing but "most critical updates" (whatever that means), starting the middle of next year, unless you push out Windows 10.

I guess the OP is a consultant.. and for them, it's a flipping Y2K bonanza once again. For IT managers, it's a nightmare.

I thought it was hilarious when someone wanted a MS Bluetooth mouse installed today. I couldn't.. it wouldn't support Windows 7. The brand - Microsoft.

I think the word that we all are looking for is "conspiracy"!!!! This extreme push is probably for enhanced remote viewing of your pc files. I used to be one of you guys who delayed the install of Windows 10 until it decided to install itself. I to thought about unplugging my pc so the install would not go through but I thought that if I did that, I would probably lose all my data. The jokes on me now. As I try to find "irreplaceable" audio data before this update, I am flabbergasted by the fact that I cannot find any audio data files!!! Why should I lose my audio data files and nothing else? Many people may call it lost from the upgrade, but I call them stollen by Microsoft. Makes sense, does it not? Why else would Microsoft force an upgrade upon someone if they were going to lose important information? I did not want the upgrade, neither did I want to lose my data. Thanks Microsoft!!!

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Died after XP SP2....... 7 .. Meh

a reply to: Mandroid7

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Agree!!! I switched an old Dell Latitude to Xubuntu. I LOVE it. And I'm not a tech saavy person. It blew my mind to see so much free software available for download. Can't wait to switch the new laptop from win 10 to Linux. Win 10 didn't come with anything even remotely resembling a word processor. It has an icon that leads me to purchase Office for a ridiculous amount of money. I won't do it on principle. I use Google Docs or go to the old laptop. On Linux I can choose between multiple word processors and they're all free!!! They work great. Xubuntu is really intuitive, too.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join