It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Microsoft...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: mthgs602
It's always easier to blame the big corporation.

Probably because the "big corporation" is the one who poorly implemented upgrading to its latest OS from a previous OS through the update service.

It's the "big corporation" who is forcing people to update to its latest OS when people are not ready for it, and some of their software/hardware drivers are also not ready for it.

Yes, many people aren't computer savvy, but that doesn't excuse the "big corporation's" role in this whole thing.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus
I personally know two people who have had this OS try to install itself on their machines. Both of them uninstalled. I'm personally having a bigger problem with ITunes updates that wipe out all your playlists.

I'm not an itunes expert, but I have heard of this issue. It seems to be related to syncing and icloud, from what I've read.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Yes, many people aren't computer savvy, but that doesn't excuse the "big corporation's" role in this whole thing.

This^^^ is important. Windows wasn't written for techs and geeks. It was written for the average computer user, and has failed to make things more user-friendly with time. Instead, it has become less so, especially with the hybrid UI causing confusion. Like the user asking where control panel is earlier.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I've been using win10 since its release..only had a minor issue at the beginning with cortana becoming mute. had to reinstall, but since then, no issues.

Hell of a lot better than 8.1

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
My MSI gaming laptop came with Windows 10 pre-inatalled on a small. SSD drive. As I wanted a dual-boot system (Linuxii and Windows 7) as well as have the option of restoring the system back to the factory state, I pulled out the SSD connector and installed a 2 Gigabyte drive instead.

I also don't have a trust of SSD drives. One of the things that they do is to cycle through all the memory cells of the drive. So every time a file is written, it will be written to a new location. So in effect, the SSD is maintaining an audit trail of every file change. Since SSD drives are rarely filled to capacity (they also keep some memory cells in reserve) and it has Windows 10 installed, there's a good chance it's trying to log when every application is used.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
I despise Microsoft for the reasons you stated, plus how they force updates at times. A few months ago when it was asking me to update, I always clicked "later" until finally all options to defer it were greyed out and I had no choice to delay it any longer. It then just installed by itself. That is shady crap right there and makes me wonder what exactly are they installing on your system that they think you better have or else. There has to be a conspiracy behind it all.

iTruthSeeker

I have it set in control panel to 'always ask'. Nothing should force update when you do that. I have a message panel that tells me what I have not accepted and gives me the opportunity to, from windows updates to java updates, but none have ever forced update.

This now changes. MS now DOES Force the W10 on your machine. Please view the Utube video at about 6 minutes in. This Utube was produced by an old MS software engineer.
with MS

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Well I am NOT ignorant as YOU implied self taught from the Atari days, I build systems from scratch for family/ friends & others ,fault find , install upgrades remove viruses etc etc.

The real problem is that point & click interfaces allow anyone to use a computer until something fails to work then they are out their depth and lets be honest most problems are now covered by websites and forums it's laziness that makes many require help.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

Stopping the update service prevents that from happening.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I have and 8 year old desktop that runs Vista, and it has never had a Windows update. I have two laptops running Windows 7 that have never had a Windows update because it is set to OFF. Am I worried? No! Everyone seems to accept the scare tactics: "Oh, if you're not up to date, you're not secure!!!" It's not really like those security updates are going to make or break you. Anything you need updated, you will be able to update manually.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: NumberMan

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: Klassified
I would like to personally thank you for the increase in my income, as well as my client base, due to your lack of ethics or scruples in playing on the public's ignorance, and forcing your latest not ready for release operating system on as many people as possible, costing them loss of data, lots of down time, and probably in the millions of dollars world-wide, in costs to people like me, for repairing the damage you've done. Your heartless and soulless venture has been a boon for my business, and so many others like me. Keep up the great work!

Sincerely, Klassified.

Go to unintelligible programs, select windows updates, find update 3035583 and unintstall. If you can block or hide future 3035583 updates.

Cheers - Dave

I would like join you in this thank you ;-) Since the release into the wild of the malware known as Windows 10, I have personally reverted at least five dozen (now) computers back to Windows 7. No data loss yet, but the average cost was around $100 per computer. If one has an Asus however, there are certain windows updates that cannot be applied as they cause hardware damage.

Cheers - Dave

Ahh so glad I never bit on that "free upgrade" to 10 from win 7. I uninstalled that annoying update in win 7 that keeps prompting me to install win 10.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
whatever one thinks of the OS itself, microsoft undeniably made a pig's ear of it's introduction

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008

Well I am NOT ignorant as YOU implied self taught from the Atari days, I build systems from scratch for family/ friends & others ,fault find , install upgrades remove viruses etc etc.

The real problem is that point & click interfaces allow anyone to use a computer until something fails to work then they are out their depth and lets be honest most problems are now covered by websites and forums it's laziness that makes many require help.

Forgive my cynicism, but as I have already said, Windows was written for average Joe. NOT for techs and geeks. That puts you and I in the minority. What comes easier for us, doesn't with everyone else. So basing your appraisal of Windows 10 on only your experiences narrows your perception. Also, as I stated earlier, those who claim so much expertise conveniently leave out known problems 10 has had since its early release. This makes me think they either haven't a clue, or they are intentionally not addressing them.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: thebtheb

I have and 8 year old desktop that runs Vista, and it has never had a Windows update. I have two laptops running Windows 7 that have never had a Windows update because it is set to OFF. Am I worried? No! Everyone seems to accept the scare tactics: "Oh, if you're not up to date, you're not secure!!!" It's not really like those security updates are going to make or break you. Anything you need updated, you will be able to update manually.

Bonez also mentioned this earlier in the thread.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Yeah I'm mad as hell about it too. I've had my pc for 3 years without a problem. After windows 10 it's been nothing but a nightmare.

A few weeks back I'm just sitting here and all of a sudden the screen went black and it said upgrading to window 10. I hate it I've had all kinds of crashes my pc won't turn off or on right. What a bunch of bs I'd like to punch someone in the face over it.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
My MSI gaming laptop came with Windows 10 pre-inatalled on a small. SSD drive. As I wanted a dual-boot system (Linuxii and Windows 7) as well as have the option of restoring the system back to the factory state, I pulled out the SSD connector and installed a 2 Gigabyte drive instead.

I also don't have a trust of SSD drives. One of the things that they do is to cycle through all the memory cells of the drive. So every time a file is written, it will be written to a new location. So in effect, the SSD is maintaining an audit trail of every file change. Since SSD drives are rarely filled to capacity (they also keep some memory cells in reserve) and it has Windows 10 installed, there's a good chance it's trying to log when every application is used.

All of those things can be accomplished with a mechanical drive just as easily, but whatever works for you. I run SSD's and will never go back to mechanicals except for backups. That of course, will change down the road as mechanical drives become obsolete.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
Yeah I'm mad as hell about it too. I've had my pc for 3 years without a problem. After windows 10 it's been nothing but a nightmare.

A few weeks back I'm just sitting here and all of a sudden the screen went black and it said upgrading to window 10. I hate it I've had all kinds of crashes my pc won't turn off or on right. What a bunch of bs I'd like to punch someone in the face over it.

Start button>Settings>Update & Security>Roll back to your previous OS. It isn't 100% reliable, but it works more often than it doesn't fortunately.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I never ever update my windows operating systems. Ever. The first thing I do when I install a new OS is turn off all automatic updates.

- Windows 3.1, never updated. I actually don't remember ever being prompted to update that particular OS.. but then again, the internet was just being born back in those days...

- Windows 95, did the first few updates and got nothing but headaches from it, decided to never update again. Used that OS for about 3+ years. Never had a problem once I stopped updating.

- Windows 97, never updated. Used that OS for about 6+ years. Never had a problem.

- Windows XP, never updated other than the first two service packs only. Used that OS for about 9+ years. Again, never had a problem (but had plently of headaches when I updated the stupid service packs).

- Now I've been on Windows 7 for a little over 2 years, and have yet to update this one and don't ever plan to.

I expect Win7 to be usable for another 10 years or so before newer programs/games won't work on it anymore. So until then, I have no intentions of buying any other operating systems that Microsoft decides to toss out onto the market.

As for these so-called 'security updates' ?

They're a bloody joke, if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Start button>Settings>Update & Security>Roll back to your previous OS. It isn't 100% reliable, but it works more often than it doesn't fortunately.
I'd probably screw it up worse then it already is. I'm going to wait it out and hope some patches fix the issues. Worse comes to worse I have a cousin with a masters in computer science I'll ask him to fix it. He's a busy guy so I only do it when I'm in dire straits.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I'd probably screw it up worse then it already is. I'm going to wait it out and hope some patches fix the issues. Worse comes to worse I have a cousin with a masters in computer science I'll ask him to fix it. He's a busy guy so I only do it when I'm in dire straits.

You only get 30 days for a rollback. Also, it's kinda hard to screw it up. Windows does all the work once you tell it to go back. Microsoft has already rolled out a bunch of un-published fixes to 10, so problems you're having now may not be OS related. They may be compatibility related, and won't get any better with time. Your call though.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I remember when my computer updated from windows 7 to windows 10. Honestly, I'd volunteered for the update, asking it to download and install the update ASAP. I'd been intrigued by what I'd seen so far, and like being relatively on top of technology updates, insofar as they're stable enough to be a daily driver. I have an external hard drive plugged in with all my files that I want to keep no matter what (pictures, movies, that stuff), and feel that it's healthy for the computer and myself to get a clean start now and then, so if I didn't like it, I'd have been all too happy to format and reinstall Windows 7, which for the record I felt was quite a good OS.

I thought Windows 10 was weird until I changed the setting to always go to the desktop and avoid the touchscreen interface. After that, I felt it was very similar to Windows 7 with some improvements and some tweaks. Overall, I've had no issues and are sold on it. I definitely agree that it was wrong of MS to push the upgrade so hard. I suppose they're trying to reduce fragmentation just like everyone else, but it was a rough way to do it.

Reason I made this post is because I distinctly remember when the upgrade was happening, it greets me with a screen saying

"All your files are right where you left them."

Which I felt was really eerie and ominous. Why shouldn't they be? Who said anything about my files not being there? It gave me the same vibe as when a bank robber says "No one has to get hurt" in the movies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join