It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Microsoft...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Yes, windows 10 is crap... It's getting better slowly but surely. Windows 10 has also caused a lot more support work to occur for us
So thanks Microsoft! And thanks for keeping DISM after Win8, without that we'd be screwed.

I installed Win10 recently on my home PC. Clean install build 1511.
It wasn't even on my ssd for 30 minutes and sfc reported integrity violations that it couldn't repair

It's a joke! that makes it even more unstable than Vista and it's been out for a good long time by now.

Windows 10 is a joke. It's like a softshell tent. Everything looks good and neat on the surface but as soon as there is a tear in the fabric and you see whats inside it's already to late...

Also, please Microsoft, FIX Wifi driver compatibility in Windows 10!! It was broken since Windows 8 and NOTHING has changed!

*End of rant

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
All budding Windows 10 installers just need to be aware of two facts that SHOULD put you off Windows 10 or any newer products..

MS put out a 'recommended update' that destroyed ASUS motherboard machines, and by that it means people like DELL who use ASUS based motherboards etc. ..Yes I said destroyed...

And secondly, MS deliberately made one of the latest 'want to install Windows 10' pop ups so that if you hit the RED X on the screen to CLOSE the Window thus ignoring the upgrade offer then clicking the close button then prompted an almost silent install of Windows 10 so that it almost looked like you had no choice when it asked you MUCH later if you wanted to decline.

So if you think both of those border / cross in to close to breaking law then perhaps you should think if you really want that OS on your machine as who knows what they will add to try and stop you returning to an old OS in the future..
edit on 12-6-2016 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Linux is your worst enemy, it makes you no money and it shows people what computers can actually do and be for them when they evolve past the fisher price GUI and MS-DOS like shell and God forbid they learn how to modify and make their own software or report bugs to freeloaders like me who write freeware software that fits a niche and actually gets the job done out of the kindness of our hearts. We have to burn that penguin computing! It's ruining the economy! Windows 10 forever!
It's not a real OS unless it blue screens with unreadable errors and doesn't log why. Who needs system logs? Only those jerks that think linux is somehow superior. I mean just imagine an internet and servers all around ran on Windows 10! Oh I am a snob though for liking things that just work. Games you say? Yeah, get with the times. That excuse doesn't work anymore.
edit on 6/12/2016 by darklife because: misstype

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

For home.. it's a painful inconvenience. For a business, it's a hot mess.

Indeed. But a lot of companies have decided on a big fat NO to upgrading, and have shut that capability down across their network. For those companies that have decided to do it, I feel sorry for their IT department.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx
a reply to: SlapTheGinkels

My computer hard drive died because of windows 10. It's brand new. And it tells me the hard drive is now busted.

IF the hard drive died after upgrade to 10, it was likely on its way out any way. One thing I won't accuse 10 of is breaking hard drives. Not yet any way.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther
Nice rant.

Also, please Microsoft, FIX Wifi driver compatibility in Windows 10!! It was broken since Windows 8 and NOTHING has changed!

Yes. This needs to be addressed. As well as the immediate SFC violations after some installs. Good point to bring up.

And thanks for keeping DISM after Win8, without that we'd be screwed.

At least someone at MS was thinking. lol.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Mclaneinc

MS put out a 'recommended update' that destroyed ASUS motherboard machines, and by that it means people like DELL who use ASUS based motherboards etc. ..Yes I said destroyed...

Actually, ASUS is taking most of the heat for that issue. Microsoft has feigned ignorance at moving the update from optional to recommended. Nevertheless, ASUS has posted a way to get into the BIOS and turn off secure boot on Win 7 machines. So not destroyed, but useless until ASUS posted the fix on their site.
Link

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I am a Mac user and had to purchase a Windows computer for Access and other MS software. Do you know a program that will remove bloatware? Nice thread

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: darklife
Linux is your worst enemy, it makes you no money and it shows people what computers can actually do and be for them when they evolve past the fisher price GUI and MS-DOS like shell and God forbid they learn how to modify and make their own software or report bugs to freeloaders like me who write freeware software that fits a niche and actually gets the job done out of the kindness of our hearts. We have to burn that penguin computing! It's ruining the economy! Windows 10 forever!
It's not a real OS unless it blue screens with unreadable errors and doesn't log why. Who needs system logs? Only those jerks that think linux is somehow superior. I mean just imagine an internet and servers all around ran on Windows 10! Oh I am a snob though for liking things that just work. Games you say? Yeah, get with the times. That excuse doesn't work anymore.

The problem is, average Joe and Jane aren't going to spend the time to learn everything they need to know to run and troubleshoot a Linux distro. Yes, Linux is maturing, but it still has a ways to go. It is relegated to mostly geeks for now. I've only scratched the surface of it myself. I just haven't had the time to really get into it like I want to.

Good post.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The Asus thing was much ado about nothing. Once you turn off secure boot (which I do before creating images anyway), it works fine. Literally a 1 minute fix, and it boots fine afterward.

However, I've had a Surface someone upgraded in the company.. tried to roll back.. blue-screened, no recovery possible. That doesn't give me a lot of hope. For anyone who does need a rollback, I'd highly recommend backing up all your data before doing so. There is no guarantee you'll get into your old OR new OS once you kick it off.

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: fleabit

For home.. it's a painful inconvenience. For a business, it's a hot mess.

Indeed. But a lot of companies have decided on a big fat NO to upgrading, and have shut that capability down across their network. For those companies that have decided to do it, I feel sorry for their IT department.

They are not going to have a choice really, if they want to continue getting updates. I think a lot of companies are just trying to figure out compatibility before doing it. For example - using Great Plains? Ok.. you need a certain version with a certain update, or it won't work. Oh, you are using Wennsoft within Great Plains? That requires a certain version. And a Great Plains upgrade is a huge project in of itself. Multiply that x the # of business critical software that needs to be a certain version to work with Windows 10, and it's an upgrade nightmare.

In the past there was a long support life for versions of Windows, other software companies had a long time to make sure their product worked with it. And businesses had a long time to plan their upgrades, or even just did rolling upgrades with new machines. Now, they are having to quickly crank out a working version, and then businesses have to upgrade that software before even considering the OS upgrade, and they have to upgrade everything.. they can't take their time with it. It's going to be a huge PITA for many IT departments.

There was confusion with that pop up window - clicking on the X in the corner did not kick anything off, it just closed the window as normal. The upgrade was already scheduled, and you basically had to opt out by clicking on a pretty tiny link to cancel or reschedule. They are certainly using malware-like tricks to force upgrades. From confusing pop up windows, to changing the type of upgrade (optional to recommended, which then scheduled it, if your update settings were configured a certain way), to forcing the install files to copy to computers.. it's an unprecedented move from MS.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

I am a Mac user and had to purchase a Windows computer for Access and other MS software. Do you know a program that will remove bloatware? Nice thread

Which bloatware are you speaking about? I'm guessing the manufacturers bloatware.. most of that can be removed via Programs and Features. Also, you can run software called Parallels on a Mac that will allow you to run a virtual session of Windows, including the Office Suite, etc.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

There is no specific program that takes the bloatware out of retail computers. You have to remove it yourself, one by one, unless you want to do it the hard way, which I don't recommend.

Most of Toshiba's bloatware can be uninstalled without issue, except for "Value Add". Leave that one.
Same with HP, Acer, and Lenovo. Use google to find listings of bloatware programs that can be removed for your brand of computer. Another option is to disable them. If you aren't familiar with Windows, or aren't PC savvy, I'd take the unit to a good tech, and let them optimize the machine for you. A good tech isn't going to charge a lot for that. It should be relatively easy on your pocketbook. Just don't let them talk you into anything else you "need".
edit on 6/12/2016 by Klassified because: missed a word

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

a reply to: _BoneZ_

I still have a old E machine with Windows 98 and it still works. The ram is so little compared to today's ram. Lol

Same here. I have one or two with 98 and I might even have one with 95.

Like 500Mb or less RAM and like a 4GB hard drive. lol

My how they set us up to shake us down.

Sure, there have been problems, like memory leaks, Kernel issues, non-native support of some hardware until MS has no choice but to include it, networking issues, permissions issues with 7 and after, and so on.

That sounds like quite a few problems, lol. Those are also problems I encountered over the years, which is frustrating. I switched to Mac about 6 years ago and have not had a single problem yet. Installing practically anything is a breeze, with none of the irritating steps and workarounds I had w/ MS.

Glad your machine is running well, though.

IMO, Microsoft is all about money in a different way than Mac. Where as the latter is an increased upfront cost, M$ is all about shaking you down after you purchase the product.

And for the fact that MS is trying to come back ahead after some questionable OS, they're using shady methods to get their latest products/OS onto people's devices.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Lol, I think mine has 256mb ram.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I think you should write to 'Microsoft' about your issues... you and others on ATS have probs and should all sign some declaration of some kind.

Just ranting on ATS isn't going to do anything.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I am hoping Bill Gates will read your thread and reply.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Here's to hoping:

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

This makes me chuckle sucks for those who have the issues but good for your business!

I despise Microsoft! My work computer is Microsoft and it is always crashing and having malware issues and it's a BANK! Yes Bank of America! We all keep waiting for this update to force itself on our computers at work and make life even more miserable for us.

Every week we have some malware that pops up and we have to shut everything down and call for assistance. It drives me freaking insane!

In my personal life I use Apple and I have never in my 11 years of using a Mac had one single issue. I had a PC once and well lost my mind many times.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

I use apple and have never had a problem. I bought a laptop last week with Windows 10 and it is a mess. I know how you feel!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Other than me using Vista at the moment, I have personally never had an issue with windows. I have only ever used Apple in school in the late '90s and it was when you had to save what you were working on every 2 mins, cause the computer was apt to crash or randomly restart. Nowadays Apple is too expensive for me.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join