It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Microsoft...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: baddmove

Right-click on the start menu button and you'll see it there. Further, you can also install Classic Shell to make Windows look and operate like Windows 7 or XP.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982
Sorry, but as a PC guy from the Win 3.1 days, I don't see the issues you do.

None of my customers have come back with data loss, nor have any of them complained about 10, beyond the "forced" upgrade.

I use it daily, I'm in the Insider program, and I'm running Build 14342.rs1_release.160506-1708 and have ZERO issues with this pre-release OS.

I've used Linux, and loved it. I dual boot Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, and when I was using 7, I used Linux more often than I do now.

I'm from the DOS days. So great, we're both old timers. I'm glad Win10 is roses and champagne for you. I've had very few issues with it myself, except what I've said previously. It's a poorly implemented hybrid. In my opinion, MS should have written a version strictly for the desktop.

As I said above. Just because you haven't seen the issues caused by Microsoft's bullying, doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm in the field every day dealing with those real world issues. If I stayed home, and only used my own computers every day, maybe I wouldn't have any consideration for other peoples experiences either.
edit on 6/11/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Computer programmer here. I get the least downtime when I turn off automatic updates for everything but my antivirus. Our biggest source of costly headaches: Adobe software updates. Our second biggest source of headaches: Windows updates.

And MS lies on packaging. Upgrading MS Access does not upgrade any VBA code...at all. It's a major PITA, and expense, to rewrite an app for a new database model (from DAO to ADO for example).

edit on 6/11/2016 by bulrush because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I was "gifted" a high end gaming computer by the friend of a friend. The original owner had installed the Win10 upgrade to the machine and that's what led to him ultimately giving up and dumping the computer on me. When I got it it would shut down over any one of a dozen BSOD (blue screens) at any given time, but usually about every five minutes. Since my computer experience is limited to getting on an surfing the web, was ready to throw the free POS in the garbage. But geez, there's bunch of great hardware on the thing. I started hanging around "Bleeping Computer" a web forum where those in the know help poor saps like me. Someone walked me through the many changes needed to get this computer working properly.

Getting the computer running normally was my obsession and it only took a month of my life to finally do it. I have had about a week without any BSOD problems or other glitchy crapola. The machine is the fastest one I have ever had and it was worth it. I feel sorry for the guy that gave it up because he figured he may as well get a new machine rather than deal with the headache. He is a perfect example of what the OP is talking about.

Now that its working, I actually like a lot things about windows 10. I know about the privacy issues and that it is a memory hog but in my case I can't complain. I will agree with the OP... except it sort of worked in reverse for me. I run four computers for my business and each of them has windows 7 with the 'GWX' control panel which allows you to block Microsoft's incessant harassment to install Win 10. I would not voluntarily install Win 10 on my business computers because I am convinced the OS still has many bugs and is entirely incompatible with some older, but still entirely useful hardware. Windows 10 doesn't play well with with old printers, old BIOS, old network cards and Wi-fi adapters, and other peripheral hardware.

edit on 2016111201600000030 by odd1out because: spelling

edit on 2016111201600000030 by odd1out because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
To those claiming to be techs, with some kind of clientele...

I find it very suspicious, that you come in this thread, and make a blanket statement about how great Windows 10 is, and how you and/or your clients are in love with the new OS. Yet you mention NONE of the common issues that have plagued Windows 10 since its release to "insiders", and successively none of the common issues that have plagued it since its release to the public. All of which are all over the internet, and I have personally dealt with MS, as well as manufacturers about. Let alone the myriad of calls I've gotten from businesses and consumers.

No calls about the start menu not working, random black screens, failed installs, disappearing programs, major networking issues after upgrade, windows 10 installing to incompatible computers automatically, and the list goes on.

I question whether any of you are technicians, unless you work for the geek squad.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: Klassified
I would like to personally thank you for the increase in my income, as well as my client base, due to your lack of ethics or scruples in playing on the public's ignorance, and forcing your latest not ready for release operating system on as many people as possible, costing them loss of data, lots of down time, and probably in the millions of dollars world-wide, in costs to people like me, for repairing the damage you've done. Your heartless and soulless venture has been a boon for my business, and so many others like me. Keep up the great work!

Sincerely, Klassified.

I would like join you in this thank you ;-) Since the release into the wild of the malware known as Windows 10, I have personally reverted at least five dozen (now) computers back to Windows 7. No data loss yet, but the average cost was around $100 per computer. If one has an Asus however, there are certain windows updates that cannot be applied as they cause hardware damage.

Cheers - Dave

Ahh so glad I never bit on that "free upgrade" to 10 from win 7. I uninstalled that annoying update in win 7 that keeps prompting me to install win 10.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

unless you work for the geek squad.

Don't even get me started on them. I've had to fix some of their damage on more than one occasion from people who took their computers to them and trusted them, only to be worse-off for it.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: bulrush

And MS lies on packaging. Upgrading MS Access does not upgrade any VBA code...at all.

Good bit of info there. I think most are under the impression that it does. I'll be putting that in my notes. I don't deal with programming, but something like that is good to know.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

unless you work for the geek squad.

Don't even get me started on them. I've had to fix some of their damage on more than one occasion from people who took their computers to them and trusted them, only to be worse-off for it.

LOL! Yes. GS and Staples are an embarrassment to our profession.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
For anyone interested in blocking the incessant harassment to upgrade, and sometimes involuntary installation, to WIN 10, try installing this:

GWX Control Panel

I have it on each of my 4 business computers and it works like a charm!!!
No link, do it at your own risk, but look it up and download it---great APP IMO.
edit on 2016111201600000030 by odd1out because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Software snobs really are annoying people.

Every operating system has its problems and privacy complications. Most do not know that Microsoft have been watching people since the start, they have been watching enabled within all Windows running machines since XP. To think Windows 10 only just began this would be wrong, the only problem with Windows 10 is due to people not knowing how it works because its different. To many people was to used to Windows XP, 8 and 7, they all worked and looked the same. Plus Windows 10 is FREE, therefore this allows Microsoft to spy on you without your say because it is FREE. The only reason they released it FREE.

I am glad for you to make some small change with these repairs however damage they have done? hmm, more like idiocy of people. Not Microsoft.

A sucker is however born everyday.....

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Just look at what they did with the Xbox306.. and people paid for that!

Second line.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackProject

Software snobs really are annoying people.

Every operating system has its problems and privacy complications. Most do not know that Microsoft have been watching people since the start, they have been watching enabled within all Windows running machines since XP. To think Windows 10 only just began this would be wrong, the only problem with Windows 10 is due to people not knowing how it works because its different. To many people was to used to Windows XP, 8 and 7, they all worked and looked the same. Plus Windows 10 is FREE, therefore this allows Microsoft to spy on you without your say because it is FREE. The only reason they released it FREE.

I am glad for you to make some small change with these repairs however damage they have done? hmm, more like idiocy of people. Not Microsoft.

A sucker is however born everyday.....

Not everyone has time to learn how do anything with a computer except get on the internet, maybe load some pictures, or input some data for record keeping purposes. There is a LOT wrong with WIN 10 that forces many users to either start learning how to fix problems, or pay someone that does. Of this I am sure and it has been my experience and the experience of many others. A simple webs search will PROVE that beyond a reasonable doubt.

If your car was working just fine yesterday, and say, FORD sent you a notification that they would fix it for free, actually "UPGRADE" it and you brought it in and it suddenly stopped working that day...that would make you a sucker or an idiot? NO, that would make FORD the idiots and I am sure their reputation would RIGHTFULLY suffer for the problems they created. Why does Microsoft get a free pass on this crap?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: odd1out

With your analogy of the situation, well Windows 10 does not just stop working. People seem to find it very hard these days to follow simple steps and thus end up in a situation. It should be known even by complete novices that anything for FREE is too good to be true and anything computer wise, is never determined 100% safe/stable. That again is a choice for people to make, it again is not Microsoft's fault.

This is coming from someone that despises Microsoft's privacy invasion.

They get away with anything it causes, whatever it is because it is FREE. You could not argue in court that FREE food did not taste how you wanted it too could you or made you ill, its FREE. Hence the reason they offered it free.

On mass to release something with FREE on it and allow people to test it saves on cost, the world is Microsoft beta testers.
edit on 11-6-2016 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

I beg to differ...even after a FRESH INSTALL on a completely reset system--- WIN 10--- DID NOT WORK ON THIS COMPUTER!

Here's a list of what I had to do...
Update BIOS driver
Remove PCIe Network Card and replace
Incompatible with my old printer
Replace video card

No big deal you may think??? Well, to me it was...not only the cost but for me, I didn't even know what a freaking BIOS was a month ago. Finding out WHY the damn machine had a dozen different BSOD's and would shut down every five minutes or wouldn't even start up sometimes was a several weeks long process and required a bunch of tests that LUCKILY, some great soul on the internet walked me through for FREE. He was patient, I was patient in learning...but these are HOURS and HOURS I'll never get back.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

Well, you seem to be forgetting about the fact this is isn't free as in the normal definition of free...
For many people it was the endless HARASSMENT to upgrade from a OS that worked fine that they DID PAY FOR, to suddenly a MANDATORY download that couldn't be stopped.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I heard stories about windows 10. I still use 7. (To me best one)

Hey klassified, I was wondering if you could pm me. I have a question with regards to gaming. But will save it for pms to not derail your thread. If you could take some free time would greatly appreciate it.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This is such a funny one for me as I have never experienced any issues with Microsoft 10. Yeah honestly, I love it. The GUI is friggen amazing.

I wonder if people just don't know what they're doing . . . Because I do. I am a computer science major. I never made any registry changes to the OS and only accessed what could be found from the top layer.

Poor people clicking on things to which they know nothing about. It's always easier to blame the big corporation.
edit on 11-6-2016 by mthgs602 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I personally know two people who have had this OS try to install itself on their machines. Both of them uninstalled. I'm personally having a bigger problem with ITunes updates that wipe out all your playlists.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: mthgs602
This is such a funny one for me as I have never experienced any issues with Microsoft 10. Yeah honestly, I love it. The GUI is friggen amazing.

I wonder if people just don't know what they're doing . . . Because I do. I am a computer science major. I never made any registry changes to the OS and only accessed what could be found from the top layer.

Poor people clicking on things to which they know nothing about. It's always easier to blame the big corporation.

Have you ever been in a thread with a bunch of us solving the archaeological worlds problems, and espousing all of our theories on how everything should be, and Byrd comes in, and shoots gaping holes in all of our theories? Might try it sometime. Then come back to this one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join