It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prince Philip to miss events marking the Battle of Jutland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I'm wondering if there is more to this story than Buckingham Palace would have us know? Why is the Royal Family so guarded about such information? Read on:

Prince Philip "reluctantly decided" not to attend the commemorations in Orkney on Tuesday, the palace added. The 94-year-old prince has not attended hospital and it is understood he has no plans to cancel other engagements. The Princess Royal, who was already due to attend, will represent the Royal Family at the Orkney events. The duke, along with Princess Anne, had been due to attend a service at St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall and a commemorative event at Lyness Royal Naval Cemetery on Hoy.

BBC report on Prince Philip

I understand that Prince Philip is 94 but for some reason the Palace refuses to say what is wrong with him. Why cancel plans commemorating the Battle of Jutland but not any others on his schedule (yet?)???? In recent years he had heart trouble, bladder issues and stomach ailments.

HM the Queen has recently appeared at several events with what appeared to be a leg ulcer. The Palace has been silent about that as well.

Anyway, it just struck me as odd that Buckingham Palace, which has been open about such things in the past, is being tight-lipped now. Thoughts, ATS?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

Maybe he's got some old grudge still in his head about something or someone he has a beef with.

You know how the Royal elites are with stuff like that.

This could be just another snot-snub jealousy thing for all we know.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Do you know anyone that age? They sleep all the time.

He's probably tired.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune
I understand that Prince Philip is 94 but for some reason the Palace refuses to say what is wrong with him.

Please tell us why you should be given the details on the health of a 94 year old man?

The Duke of Edinburgh will not attend commemorations marking the Battle of Jutland in Orkney today following medical advice.........Prince Philip, 94, had been due to attend along with the Princes Royal, but following medical advice will no longer make the trip.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
At his age and the extensive appearances he usually makes cut the guy some slack!
There are any number of legit reasons to keep him from jaunting off.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   

In a statement, Buckingham Palace said: “Following doctor’s advice, the Duke of Edinburgh has reluctantly decided not to attend the commemorations marking the Battle of Jutland tomorrow in Kirkwall and Hoy.”

Huff Post

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

for some reason the Palace refuses to say what is wrong with him.

Perhaps he is insisting that the exact details of his health are nobody's business but his own.
That's how people used to think before Facebook.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

The dude is 94/95 years old...naps are frequent and long. Give the old boy a pass.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Being 94 is excuse enough.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Being 94 is excuse enough.

This, all day long.

I doubt very much that he'd have wanted to miss the service for Jutland if he had the slimmest of chances of making it.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Wasn't he in the RN at one time? Or was the the Royal Marines.

Not being one of the Americans who are oddly fascinated by the Royals...save for Diana, when I was a teenager. Course any male with red blood found her fascinating.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull
RN and he had a pretty distinguished record, serving in the Mediterranean fleet in WW2.

(I know a former Grenadier who told me an interesting story which might give an insight into the man).
As Colonel of the Regiment, he visited the Falklands when they were stationed there and got talking to my mate and his oppo. About a year later, they were at a garden party being held for the regiment and these two lads were sipping a beer by a French door when the Duke walks out and says "Hello Sid, Hello Biff, how are you chaps doing (Or words to that effect...the impressive thing is he remembered their nicknames and the details of their last meeting...Quite impressive when you think about how many people he must meet in a year....Although my mate reckons he took his Colonelcy incredibly seriously and was always stumping up for beer and stuff following a parade or some such).

edit on 00pWed, 01 Jun 2016 05:54:00 -050020162016-06-01T05:54:00-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: spelling

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I've never heard anything critical about his intelligence. The few accounts I've read say quite the opposite.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Yeah, he was one of the youngest 1st officers in the RN at the time and was top student at Dartmouth Mentioned in dispatches and all that stuff and the opinions of those who served with him were that he was an incredibly capable and intelligent officer.

The sort that makes Admiral if he doesn't marry a princess and retire from the Navy.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

I understand that Prince Philip is 94 but for some reason the Palace refuses to say what is wrong with him.

Please tell us why you should be given the details on the health of a 94 year old man?

The Duke of Edinburgh will not attend commemorations marking the Battle of Jutland in Orkney today following medical advice.........Prince Philip, 94, had been due to attend along with the Princes Royal, but following medical advice will no longer make the trip.

This isn't just some ordinary 94-year old man. He happens to be Prince Consort to HM the Queen.

There has been speculation as to how HM would react in the event of Prince Philip's passing. Here is an excerpt from a Daily Beast report:

There is in fact a tremendous nervousness at every level of the house of Windsor about Philip’s death.

It is a cause of much greater concern than the Queen’s, ironically enough.

The worries, like so much in the modern monarchy, go back to Victoria. After the death of her beloved Albert, she became a virtual recluse, retreating to Balmoral where she lived a life of austerity and contemplation, and was widely suspected of having had an affair with her gamekeeper, John Brown.

She became wildly unpopular with her people as a result of her seclusion.

There is a niggling suspicion among many of the Queen’s advisers that Elizabeth may follow the same course. She is already spending more time at Balmoral, and senior courtiers believe she may well move there on an almost full-time basis if and when Philip dies. While she will not abdicate, she will, it is expected, leave many of tasks involved in running of the country to Charles on Philip’s death.

Source

Once Charles ascends the throne, it could spell the end of the British Monarchy. He is not exactly popular (I happen to like the Prince of Wales myself). Not only that, Britain is going through many changes, including a possible exit from the European Union. The vote as to whether or not to remain in the E.U. will be held later this month.

So I have to ask - what impact will all of this have on Britain?

I hope this is, as has been claimed, a "minor ailment."

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

for some reason the Palace refuses to say what is wrong with him.

Perhaps he is insisting that the exact details of his health are nobody's business but his own.
That's how people used to think before Facebook.

I see your point. But like I said to someone else in this thread, he is Prince Consort to the Queen. I think it's natural to be concerned.

And Britain is going through many changes, including a possible Brexit.

new topics

top topics

join