It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian man arrested over racist statements on Social Media

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
NSW chiropractor charged over racist Facebook comments

NSW police arrest 64-year-old osteopath Chris Nelson on the central coast over allegedly making comments on social media directed at outgoing senator

NSW police have charged a central coast man over allegedly posting racist comments on the Facebook page of outgoing Labor senator Nova Peris.

Woy Woy-based chiropractor and osteopath Chris Nelson was arrested on Monday afternoon following an investigation by detectives from Brisbane Water local area command.

He was taken to Gosford police station and charged with using a carriage service to cause offence.

Peris shared the offensive post through her social media accounts, part of which said: “You were only endorsed by Juliar because you were black. Go back to the bush and suck on witchety grubs and yams.”

The post also criticised Peris, Australia’s first Indigenous female senator, for wearing white ochre on her face during her 2013 maiden speech.

I don't condone any of the comments made by Nelson, but surely arresting somebody for making racist statements on social media is a step too far? If he had directly threatened her or loved ones with violence then his arrest would seem more justified. But making derogatory statements about somebody else is not grounds, alone, to be arrested.

He was taken to Gosford police station and charged with using a carriage service to cause offence.

WTH? We live in scary times...

Edit Changed title and fixed some typos.
edit on 30/5/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Ya pretty sad state of affairs in most of the west these days.

Glad I'm in America, where I might get fired, but I can't be charged criminally for "offending " others.

Or be arrested and charged for talking bad about migrants like in most of Europe.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Wow! Talk about overreach! Sure his rant is extremely offensive but has no threat of violence. How can one be arrested for speech? I find this unbelievable to have happened in Australia! If it was China, North Korea, or even the middle East, it would make more sense politically. Is this really true or a hoax?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
Wow! Talk about overreach! Sure his rant is extremely offensive but has no threat of violence. How can one be arrested for speech? I find this unbelievable to have happened in Australia! If it was China, North Korea, or even the middle East, it would make more sense politically. Is this really true or a hoax?

People in the EU are also harassed by police or arrested and charged for saying anything negative about the migrants destroying their lands.

Welcome to the west, at least in Murica we can still speak our minds.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
What is a racist statement?

That's the rub

Example

_______ is an amazing sport, ________ people have been hiding this.

A black man live tweeted after watching his first hockey game. He thought it was an amazing sport and tweeted some form of white people was hiding this from black people. Not only did most hockey fans laugh at this, St. Louis Blues even brought him to a game

Is a white man, after watching his first NBA game twitted. Basketball is a great sport, why did black people had this this. Would black nba fans retweet and repost the comments in a jovial way? Would the NBA team invite him to a game? I am not only saying it wouldn't happen, but the guy in some countries could get arrested.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Just awful. The people who feel it necessary to arrest someone for what she said should be the ones arrested. They are much more dangerous to society than any racist.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I am not familiar with the laws in Australia, but I'm assuming there are laws that deal with this type of incident, or the authorities would not have charged him. If you live in a country, it would behoove you to be familiar with its laws. If you are dumb enough to break one of those laws, then you deserve what you get. Don't like the laws? Work through your political representatives to get them changed -- or move to a country whose laws you like better.

It is true that in America, you would not be arrested for making the types of comments he made. You are free to make those comments. However, other citizens are free to publicly bash you, protest to your employer to get you fired, or boycott and essentially end your business. Freedom works both ways in this country.

+2 more 
posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It's hate speech..

This is the end game of the left, to arrest people they don't agree with. More and more college students agree with limiting free speech.

Useful idiots.

+2 more 
posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

So you don't really have any problem with this law? Or does it just seem like you're making excuses for it?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

no freedom of speech on the internet that is what it will come to.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

not yet anyway

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

that is how it started in Germany in the 1930's and look what happened just a few years later, WWII!

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

It's not my country - I don't live there.

My country is America, and the only way you would get arrested for hate speech here is if you are inciting violence against an individual or group. I'm happy with the hate speech law as it is in my country.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

yes it is internet censorship.

+9 more 
posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I am not familiar with the laws in Australia, but I'm assuming there are laws that deal with this type of incident, or the authorities would not have charged him. If you live in a country, it would behoove you to be familiar with its laws. If you are dumb enough to break one of those laws, then you deserve what you get. Don't like the laws? Work through your political representatives to get them changed -- or move to a country whose laws you like better.

I bet you are familiar with no more than 1% of the laws in your country.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
What is a racist statement?

That's the rub

Example

_______ is an amazing sport, ________ people have been hiding this.

A black man live tweeted after watching his first hockey game. He thought it was an amazing sport and tweeted some form of white people was hiding this from black people. Not only did most hockey fans laugh at this, St. Louis Blues even brought him to a game

Oh yes and they were hiding it from blacks because otherwise it to would be black dominated. Black domination of many sports has developed with it a certain racism.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Well, I'm almost 56 years old, and I've never been charged or arrested for anything yet, so I think I've done a pretty good job so far. I sure as hell know what I can and can't say on public media.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

that is how it started in Germany in the 1930's and look what happened just a few years later, WWII!

Oh yea absolutely. They want to call something a hate crime at the drop of a hat if they can show a white antagonist....but let 10 blacks beat up an old white man at wall mart and you wont get the hate crime. Same with the slow foot dragging about Muslim violence. Oh I should have said 'extremist" first my bad.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Well, I'm almost 56 years old, and I've never been charged or arrested for anything yet, so I think I've done a pretty good job so far. I sure as hell know what I can and can't say on public media.

I'm not sure anyone cares about that. But since you would, like any layman, be unfamiliar with your country's laws, we'll have to doubt your advice.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Worse than that was Nazi censorship, which suppressed every opposing view. If you don't demand free speech for even views you dislike, you don't believe in free speech.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join