It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian man arrested over racist statements on Social Media

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You can doubt whatever you want, but taking my own advice has worked very well for me.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
so apparently this is part of a cyber crime legislation and carries a maximum penalty of 3 years in prison

The maximum penalty for using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence is 3 years imprisonment

Legislation The Cybercrime Legislation Amendment Act 2011 commenced on 12 September 2012. The main purpose of the Act was to facilitate Australia’s accession to the Council of Europe Convention on Cybercrime. The Act also amended the Criminal Code offences to ensure consistency with the Conventions.
Council of Europe Convention on Cybercrime
edit on 30-5-2016 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
What is a racist statement?

“You were only endorsed by Juliar because you were black. Go back to the bush and suck on witchety grubs and yams.”

really ?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
He was taken to Gosford police station and charged with using a carriage service to cause offence.

Australia, where the government has become your mother.
Most gamers seen where they were going with this long ago. Once you put a foot in and let government decide what is too violent for you nationally, you already let them decide to ban offensive behavior
offensive being what they deem to be offensive.

Australia is relatively close to China..seems they are starting a proper cultural exchange. Watch them as a unfortunate example so that we dont follow the same path. I do hope the UK stops its progression also towards their madness, but I think the perpetually offended with their claws in government might already be too embedded..and pushing back against it makes you a racist/sexist/islamaphobic/homophobic conservative jerk to be silenced verses allowed to express a position of concern about rapidly eroding liberties.

If you get arrested for speaking, or sharing your thoughts online, the government has gone too far.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Do you actually know anything about Australia?

Our current government would love nothing better than to adopt a much more US-centric style of governance, and has moved quite far toward a right-wing authoritarian model (rather than left-wing authoritarianism).

I live here, and have observed this.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest

originally posted by: thinline
What is a racist statement?

“You were only endorsed by Juliar because you were black.

This part isn't actually racist if the person saying it genuinely believes that the person was endorsed simply based on skintone and not qualifications.
I dont know enough about the people in order to make a judgment, but for instance, some people in 2008 thought Obama was doing well with the black community simply because he was a black man.
and many who said that were racist, but many weren't and were simply stating a fact. A bit like saying the only reason some women like hillary is because she is a woman..and that would be accurate also (hell, her and her fanatics campaign that exact unfiltered message).
So, gonna say that statement is neutral and requires more context.

Go back to the bush and suck on witchety grubs and yams.”

Another neutral sentence requiring context
Is the person in question an aboriginal? I did a quick google for Witchetty grubs and yams and it seems its a staple food for them.
So, if he is (no clue if he is), it might be akin to someone telling a german to go back to germany and suck on some sauerkraut, or a japanese person to go back home and suck on some sushi
Rude? extremely
Offensive? Off the charts
Racist? perhaps not
It might be a bit insulting about a culture (subjectively..sushi, yams, and sauerkraut is delicious) But its not saying racially inflammatory things (commenting on attributes associated with the skintone moreso than the culture)

Language can be tricky.

This law is stupid and the people need to fire their government nanny.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold

Do you actually know anything about Australia?

Our current government would love nothing better than to adopt a much more US-centric style of governance, and has moved quite far toward a right-wing authoritarian model (rather than left-wing authoritarianism).

I live here, and have observed this.

Authoritarianism is the issue, right or left makes no difference. same horseshoe end.

Lemme know when you got blood back in your video games

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

We are trying, the people even a lot of a certain style of libs to pull, shove, move toward more of a libertarian style. Most of any sort of authoritarian centrist, right or left are already in the government, their press lackeys and universities. They are all starting to smell the same these days, hard to tell apart. Used to be two different smells of waste.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

This is what the accused is alleged to have said.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au... 22c75bfdc2

A direct message to Senator Peris from Mr Nelson’s Facebook account, which has since gone viral and sparked international outrage, read: “Nova F*** off. You were only endorsed by Juliar (sic) because you were a black c***.

“Go back to the bush and suck on witchity grubs and yams. Stop painting your f***ing face with white s*** in parliament. Other than being a runner you are nothing­.”

Apparently he also said this.

au.news.yahoo.com...

"Why don't you go and spend some time at Arrakun with the rest of your a** mates belting the crap out of one another," the troll wrote.

"I am not sorry for what has happened in the past if it wasn't for the non existent stolen generation you would probably have been raped by your father another male relative or worse still been killed."

"So as I've said before f*** off you black c*** we don't need or want you."

edit on 30-5-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Man that doesn't "have" to be racist at all. Maybe the person was simply a political stooge with zero qualifications. I mean how can we count on crap politicians to what??? Now suddenly do something without politics in mind here? We should not forget that the PTB will but anyone before the people and behind whatever high sounding idea to get its freekin work done. What a better stooge than some promoted native, who now owes so much to TPTB even if they are clearly stooges. You know well that not even the PTB are going to promote a native with strong nationalist ideas that cant be controlled by TPTB. Just look at the Irish politics for so long over there.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I don't agree with the law, but it IS the law in NSW, Australia.

Here's the facebook post (caution LANGUAGE):
www.facebook.com...

If "reasonable person"s would regard the comment as "being, in all circumstances, menacing, harassing, or offensive", then it's a crime. I don't see how a reasonable person could see these comments as NOT offensive, but this is the era of Donald Trump, so, the more offensive, the better. But it's still the law. If I drive without a seat belt, I can face penalty. If I threaten the president, I can face penalty.

IMO, only an idiot would say such a thing publicly about a government official, but Lord knows, there is an abundance of idiots in the world.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Classy guy. reminds me of my second uncle I havent spoken to since I was a kid.
...luckily.

He deserves a punch, and also for people to stand with him to be allowed to say his bile.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

www.dailytelegraph.com.au... 22c75bfdc2

A direct message to Senator Peris from Mr Nelson’s Facebook account, which has since gone viral and sparked international outrage, read: “Nova F*** off. You were only endorsed by Juliar (sic) because you were a black c***.

“Go back to the bush and suck on witchity grubs and yams. Stop painting your f***ing face with white s*** in parliament. Other than being a runner you are nothing­.”

Apparently he also said this.

au.news.yahoo.com...

"Why don't you go and spend some time at Arrakun with the rest of your a** mates belting the crap out of one another," the troll wrote.

"I am not sorry for what has happened in the past if it wasn't for the non existent stolen generation you would probably have been raped by your father another male relative or worse still been killed."

"So as I've said before f*** off you black c*** we don't need or want you."

Lol, funny.

But 3 years in jail?

That's crazy #!

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I think the general consensus isn't that this isn't offensive, nor is it not illegal in Au
I think we are mostly mocking Au for having such a law in the first place and how terrible that law is.

I am certainly glad I have the freedom to be offended online verses the security of government removing what they deem problematic for my virgin eyes and imprisoning anyone who would dare insult me

IMO, only an idiot would say such a thing publicly about a government official, but Lord knows, there is an abundance of idiots in the world.

I think perhaps his words here might be part of a change that is needed in addressing the fools of Au that made this law happen to begin with...anti- offense law online?...I know people who are offended by tons of stuff daily..imagine if Au starts catering to the most special of the snowflakes...it will make china's great firewall look like the wild west.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Don't fool yourself here. The real scary contemptible thing is you think he should go to jail or be punched or something. lol that is closer to the embryonic brown # that the reverse.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Here's the facebook post (caution LANGUAGE):
www.facebook.com...

If "reasonable person"s would regard the comment as "being, in all circumstances, menacing, harassing, or offensive", then it's a crime. I don't see how a reasonable person could see these comments as NOT offensive, but this is the era of Donald Trump, so, the more offensive, the better. But it's still the law. If I drive without a seat belt, I can face penalty. If I threaten the president, I can face penalty.

Why as you say would " only an idiot would say such a thing publically about a government official "?

I don't get your meaning.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
this isn't just australia.

Convention on Cybercrime

On 1 March 2006, the Additional Protocol to the Convention on Cybercrime came into force. Those States that have ratified the additional protocol are required to criminalize the dissemination of racist and xenophobic material through computer systems, as well as threats and insults motivated by racism or xenophobia.[5]

It was drawn up by the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, France, with the active participation of the Council of Europe's observer states Canada, Japan, South Africa and the United States.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
the bad guys crafted thought crimes to protect against the falsifcations of w0rldwar2.
so once these thought crimes were established, of course those in power will abuse the power.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Don't fool yourself here. The real scary contemptible thing is you think he should go to jail or be punched or something. lol that is closer to the embryonic brown # that the reverse.

You misread, I said the opposite.
no dessert for you!

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This is idiocy and madness. So does this mean every Internet troll will be arrested? Looks like big brother and the thought police is watching, and saying "don't you dare say anything we don't like"!
There's a difference between being a troll and a criminal, and this is an overreaction by the police. If he threatened someone then take him in, but this is a no.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join